Anybody want 2 new recipes???

DDD

Today I made two new recipes and everyone was full of compliments
and requests for seconds. :grin: Before I lose them (yes I do
lose recipes all the time..lol), I want to share in case any of you are interested.

<u>Crescent Chicken Squares:</u>
2 cups of cubed cooked chicken (yeah, leftovers)
3 oz. of cream cheese softened
3 T of margarine/butter, melted
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1 T chives or onions
1 T chopped pimento
2 T of milk
1 (8 oz) can Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

Mix all together. Make 4 rectangles with the dough. Put 1/4 of the mixture into the center of the dough and bring 4 edges together so it is a little sealed bundle with a DQ top! Brush top
with 1 T margarine/butter. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 until golden

Pretty and really tasty!

<u>Star-Style Scalloped Potatoes</u>
1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes cut into 1/4 inch pieces
Coarse sale and cracked peper to taste
1 C shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 C diced fresh basil (oh..what an aroma!)
1/4 c oil packed sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped
4 to 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
3/4 c chicken broth
3 cloves of garlic minced

Preheat to 350. Boil/slice potatoes and season with S& P. in a
baking dish layer the potatoes, cheese, basil, tomatoes and bacon
then pour the chicken stock over the contents and sprinkle with
the minced garlic. Bake 20 minutes +-.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
DDD

Oh wowswers! Thanks. Those sound delicious!! I can't wait to try the top one especially. Sounds easy to do. :grin:

Marguerite

For the non-Yank among you - the Pillsbury stuff; is that bread dough? Or brioche dough? If so, the recipe could be easily adapted for one who has bread machine (me! among others). I use my pasta machine (one of those hand-cranked roller things) on a thick setting, to roll our bread dough for thin crust pizzas, etc. I also have those pastry cutter things that cut out a circle and you then put the circle of dough on the other side, put filling in it and when you close it up it forms a semi-circle shape with crimped edge. Doesn't work as well with bread dough, but it DOES work.

I could use my pastry cutter thing with ready-rolled puff pastry, and your chicken filling. It would be fabulous!

The potatoes sound great. I've done something similar in years past, using leftover gravy. I also saw Jamie Oliver do something similar, only he used a mix of tasty grated cheese and creme fraiche (or sour cream). The basil, tomatoes and bacon would be wonderful. I just love fresh basil! And I'm glad you chop yours, too - I get the whoopsies with TV chefs who tear off huge chunks of basil leaves to put into a salad, or use as an attractive garnish - the flavour is too strong to do that. You'd get hot spots of extreme overdose of flavour, and no proper taste. Chopping the basil may not look as rustically pretty, but it sure tastes best! I consider it the mark of a good cook to not compromise the taste of a dish for its appearance.

Thanks for the recipes. Another way to use leftover chicken. I'm spoilt for choice now!

Marg

SRL

I used to make those crescent chickens all the time. Sometimes I'd make a white sauce to serve over them, occasionally adding a few of those chicken boullion crumbles.

Thanks for the reminder. I have chicken in the fridge and I'm needing something different.

Kathy813

Staff member
DQ as in the top of the ice cream cone (pulled up and curved over)?

Okay, I guess you have figured out that I'm not Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray. I'm still in shock that you can make your own sour cream (see old sugar cookie recipe thread).

Maybe I should take a cooking class ~ aw, hell no ~ I wouldn't want to set up any unrealistic expectations for husband. I'm sticking with restaurants.

:rofl:

Those chicken thingies do sound good, though.

~Kathy

DDD

:smile: Yes, that means pinched and curled just like the top
of a Dairy Queen cone! It looked so pretty..lol. I served the
golden brown chicken pastry recipe, the multi-colored potato casserole and fresh asparagus. :grin: My Mother wasn't much of a cook but she was B I G on serving attractive, colorful meals. My sister and I always describe things that way and I honestly didn't realize what I was typing until I just scan read
the beginning of the post for grammatical errors! LOL!

Just to complete "the family" description :blush:, I served
bright red sliced tomatoes and thinly diced cucumbers for the salad! DDD

Pillsbury makes biscuits and other kinds of refrigerated dough
products. This recipe used the crescent rolls (8 to a pack) with the triangles put together to make a rectangle. Then all
four points stretched up and united at the top like a Dairy Queen curl! I'm positive that your bread machine product would
make an even better enwrapment, Margarite!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
My mother in law is a tremendous cook, but we have learned one lesson at her house--check the milk before you drink a glass. She is famous for using "sour milk" in her recipes so we have learned the hard way that she generally has milk in her frig that is way past its prime....the price you pay for "old fashioned" cooking.