Anyone able to give me tips on what to look for in a summer tutor?

BusynMember

I'm not going to wait for the school to figure out that Jumper has trouble with reading because she tests like she SHOULDN'T have trouble with ANYTHING. I want to get her help this summer and am willing to pay for it. I'm just not sure what type of help to get. I suspect that, when the neuropsychologist testing is done, we will find a processing problem, but I can't wait for her testing. She wants help now...I just want her to comprehend what she reads and what she hears. In spite of her diagnosis from school and how she did poorly on the TOVA test, I am not convinced that ADD is her major problem. There's more going on, as there usually is with ADD.

Does anyone have suggestions on what type of tutoring would help a child who can read, but doesn't understand what she reads? Any programs that are good for that? I want her to have a 1-1 teacher who will focus just on her, but I want to make sure we use the right approach. I k now that none of you know Jumper and that you are only taking guesses, but all guesses are very much appreciated here :)

Thanks in advance!

Josie

I look for tutors with a Special Education background who teach study skills. I don't know of a specific program, but I have had good luck finding tutors with that criteria. I tell them that my daughter needs to learn compensating strategies for her cognitive problems. My daughter also complains of a poor memory and not being able to understand what she reads.