Anyone Deaf in this family?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm looking for a home course on signing - Or book or something to learn more than the alphabet.

Thanks

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star

There should be signing books in your library. Oh, and I know our community college offers courses on signing, maybe one near you does too?

I know ours does because I'm seriously considering taking a few of the courses. I know a small amt of signs I've learned during childhood and over the years. But I'd love to learn more. And for me it's easier with an instructor actually showing them to me. (I learn them faster that way)

trinityroyal

Hello Star,

Years and years ago I dated a deaf man. Although he could read lips very well, I learned a bit of sign which sometimes helped in communicating, including helping me to realize what a toad he was.

The book I used was called The Joy of Signing. It taught not just the alphabet, but ASL sentence structure, common signs, facial expressions that go with signs to add emphasis, and a whole bunch of other things.

The book has been in print for years and years. You should be able to scare up a copy at your local library.

Hope this helps,
Trinity

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
Star,

J did not speak until after she was 3 yo, so her speech therapist suggested we learn ASL to help with her frustration. We worked with the speech therapist alot but the most we learned was from the "Signing Time" video series. They are made for kiddos but I learned soooo many signs, it was amazing. There is a website Signingtime.com that has awesome info and forums and there are some lessons on there as well.

I loved learning ASL and plan on taking some Jr College classes as soon as I can to continue learning.

Hugs,
Vickie

Star*

call 911........call 911
I will check the local community colleges and that web site - I am going to put out on Freecycle wanted - Joy of signing book.

We had a young man approach us in the grocery store, with a card that said "I am deaf. and I make my money by donations."

Now - I'm not the first person to hand a buck to anyone - but this man didn't just look the part - he was the real deal. DF has a thought regarding folks like this and it's one of those "when I get to heaven" things - so I just dont' even go there or preach.

I learned a few signs years ago and the alphabet for something else. I can spell words and I'm a fair lip reader. That comes in handy with difficult children who don't cover their mouths when speaking.

But wouldn't have been cool to communicate? I'm doing a BBC course on line for free about learning Spanish and then I'm going to tackle Chinese. I love languages - maybe later in life I'll be a real linguist. But for now - I want to learn to sign.

Daisy - I think any nurse that could sign would be paid better as well as be a comfort to deaf patients.

Trinity - I'm glad you found out he was a toad

Abbey - WHATEVER DO U MEAN? LOL

vickie - I will check out the site.

Thanks all

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dara!!!!!

Geez girl where HAVE u BEEN? I swear I laugh out loud ever time I see your Avatar - it's one of my favorites.

Thanks for the link - I will give that a try.

Anyone interested in learning a language on line in 3 months, for free WITH a mailed certificate - I'll find what link that is and send it - it's a small download and it sticks in my brain after the way they teach it. I can't wait to get my certificate in conversational Spanish.

So far - I can find a Hotel, ask where a street is, say good morning, thank you and now I'm learning the sounds of the Caspian lisp. I can already roll my rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (said like cat woman on Batman) lol.

4sumrzn

My sister is taking a class this quarter in college. I would be more than happy to ask her if she has any suggestions for you if you're interested.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Geez, Star, not deaf but pretty darned close.

My niece is deaf & I was always sorry that I didn't learn ASL much sooner. As my hearing is declining (for whatever reason) I've looked into ASL classes for myself & my immediate family.

I do have (somewhere) The Joy of Signing. by the way, my niece has taught me some pretty cool signs but I fear they would be "bleeped" here.
:bigsmile::talkhand::bigsmile: