Anyone else home on NYE?

BusynMember

It's just another night to us. We are watching football and recovering from babysitting overnight this weekend for our granddog, Jumper's lab/hound mix. Sweet dog but big!!! Kind of still a pup.

If anyone else does nothing on NYE, tell us what you're doing. Or of you do have plans, share!

As usual we will probably try to stay up to watch the ball drop at least in NYC. As usual, I doubt if I will make it. I spent most of last night soothing Jumper's homesick dog so, after working until 1am, I didn't sleep much last night.

Share your NyE plans too if you like.

And Happy New Year!!!

svengandhi

Happy New Year's to you and yours.

H and I are at home with youngest son. He is in the process of being a donor for someone with a blood cancer, so he is taking cell stimulating medications and needs to relax. D is in Australia, oldest boy is with his girlfriend and the middle boys are going to a friend's house.

Tomorrow, we will take youngest son for his next shot of the medications, meet a client of H's to execute contracts and then go to a New Year's Day open house. Tuesday, it's back to work and Wednesday is the donation day.

AppleCori

I’m not actually home, since I’m visiting my adult kids, but I’m here at my daughter’s house for the night. My adult kids have dates, so it’s just myself, my youngest, and three dogs ( one is a foster and is scared of the fireworks she hears).

Youngest daughter and I are going to have pizza and watch a movie. Later, when she goes to bed, I will be talking to my sweet hubby on the phone for our “date”....

Glad to hear of your son’s blood donation. He sounds like a wonderful young man.

Will probably make it to midnight, but don’t really care either way.

Didn’t watch football today, but just looked to see who made the playoffs. Glad to see that the Bills made it for the first time since 1999! I’m not a particular fan of the team, but I do like to see teams improve!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Hubby and I always stay home on New Year's eve. I usually don't make it to midnight.

I fixed us a nice dinner of shrimp scampi. We played a couple of games of backgammon in front of the fire and now are watching some of the New Years shows.

upload_2017-12-31_20-21-9.png

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sitting around bored to tears and rubbernecking between the laptop and the TV. Bleargh.

Took a long nap today so probably will be up to see the new year come in, for whatever that's worth. I'm just hoping we still have a country by the time mid-term elections roll around.

New Leaf

Hi everyone and Hauoli Makahiki Hou. I am a homebody and perfectly fine with staying home tonight and relaxing! Hoku took her brother along to her bfs family gathering. Just me and my golden who is presently hiding from the fireworks.
Happy New Year all!
:happy_new_year:
Leafy

BusynMember

GN, I quit watching the news since the election. I went news free and hope we survive.

Anyway, NYE isn't even a holiday to us. Never has been. We don't drink, don't like being around drinking folks and I am sort of afraid to drive with so many drinks out there, especially in Wisconsin, the drinking capital of the U.S :) We don't see the kids for NYE either although Jumper dropped by to pick up her dog today so she stayed a bit.....but that wasn't holiday specific. We see her often and her sweet fiance too and this weekend we even had the pleasure of her very beloved dog ;)....our grand dog Cam!

Last edited:

pasajes4

I'm not a fan of crowds or drunks. I am in bed with my sweet furby getting extra snuggles. It sounds like a war zone outside. It's legal to shoot fireworks in my neighborhood. I cringe at the amount of money going up in smoke.

KTMom91

Hubby and I are watching a Looney Tunes marathon on the Boomerang channel. I'm having a wonderful time! Only 15 more minutes for those of us on the West Coast - hoping 2018 is a better year than 2017. This was not a stellar year on several levels for us.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, it was too bitterly cold for the fireworks freaks, so was quiet outside.

I wound up celebrating by breaking out in hives for ??? reason, taking some Benadryl, and falling asleep despite long nap.

Whoo-hoo! Woke up for long enough to crawl into bed, and woke up this AM with both cats cuddled up to me.

Hope all who celebrated enjoyed a pleasant and safe celebration, and hope ALL enjoy a happy and safe 2018.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Hubs and I went to a cocktail party with friends. It was fun and we played a few parlour games had some nice nibbles and rang in the new year. We had a lazy morning this morning it’s back to work tomorrow.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I never heard of fireworks for NYE even when I lived near Chicago. Is this Milwaukee?
So close it might as well be. It's a European tradition that has spread to the local yokels.

It was even starting to take hold in Rhinelander, which didn't exactly have a lot of recent Euro immigrants. I assume it's partially because of the televised world-wide New Year's events showing fireworks in so many cities.

I'm literally "down the street" from Milwaukee. Fireworks for New Year's have been popular in certain parts of Milwaukee and Chicago for, oh...I'd say the last 30 years or so, mostly due to the heavy influx of Eastern European immigrants during that time period.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When Stu and I first came back from Germany, we lived in a 3rd floor apt facing Ridge Rd in Uptown, a neighborhood in Chicago (not a good one). The Bulls won the Championship that year, and Ridge road was full of celebrants cruising up and down the road firing guns into the air. husband, who had PTSD, had not only me, and the dog, but somehow our CATS, huddled on the dining room floor away from the front-facing windows. Good thing, as about 1AM, a stray bullet shattered our living room window and buried itself in the chair in which husband usually sat to read or watch TV.

BusynMember

GN, scary as all hello. I not only remember that guns were fired and taxis flipped over when the Bulls won but I remember Uptown as one of the scariest neighborhoods I had to ride through on the bus when I worked Downtown. Many people there, at least back then, were very mentally I'll as well as unemployed and desperate. I only rode thru that area once a week, when I had to work until 7pm. All other days I road something called The Outer Drive Express that bypassed such neighborhoods. But that bus stopped it's route by 6pm. Every Thursday evening I got a flavor of many dangerous areas of Chicago. Sometimes the passengers on the bus were scary too.

I was lucky enough to be out of he City when the Bulls won. I saw it on the news and it was shocking.

Last edited:

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
When Stu and I first came back from Germany, we lived in a 3rd floor apt facing Ridge Rd in Uptown, a neighborhood in Chicago (not a good one). The Bulls won the Championship that year, and Ridge road was full of celebrants cruising up and down the road firing guns into the air. husband, who had PTSD, had not only me, and the dog, but somehow our CATS, huddled on the dining room floor away from the front-facing windows. Good thing, as about 1AM, a stray bullet shattered our living room window and buried itself in the chair in which husband usually sat to read or watch TV.
That is crazy!! I don’t understand the obsession with guns.

BusynMember

In poor, emotionally and financially impoverished areas of big cities everyone owns a gun, partly for safety. Two of my foster kids from Chicago, two brothers, told us that they could never go further for play than the small balconey off their old foster mom's apartment, that there were gang fights with guns every night and that they had seen dead bodies on their way to school. Yes, there are many foster homes in bad areas.

Businesses pull out of impoverished areas and there is nowhere to get a legal job and it seems hopeless to the people who live there. The drug dealers have all the money. Gangs are actually illegal drug businesses with many associates some as young as nine. It is very sad. I studied this issue a lot. Nobody in the area dare call the cops. 1. They don't believe the police like or will or can help them. 2. They will be a target if anyone finds out they called. 3. Cops don't always come in very hostile neighborhoods anyway.

A man I knew, a Nam vet, told me he joined the Army because it couldn't be any worse than the war zone he lived in. He did get out of his neighborhood but between his childhood and combat, he was addicted to chaos.

Last edited: