Anyone else worried about a possible govt. shutdown/no social security checks?

DammitJanet

SS comes out of a different fund so that will not be effected. I dont know about adoption subsidies. They may be county funds and I dont think state or county money is being effected by this...not sure though.

I have a feeling it will get fixed though. It always has. Someone will buy our bonds. China will just own one more piece of America.

If you have never seen how they do this, you should watch a program about the secret room where they sell America off piece by piece. It is amazing. Now there are a few people in this country who buy treasury bonds but for the most part, its other countries who buy the major bulk of our debts.

Quite an interesting economic lesson.

H

HaoZi

Depending on food stamps and Section 8 here, not sure if/how those will be affected.

T

TeDo

Our state has been shut down for almost a month now. Anything to do with people's actual INCOME such as unemployment, etc are considered essential services and have continued to operate as normal. I would hope that the national government would operate much the same.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Do you want the truth?

I'm waiting for the "crash" myself. Not necessarily gvt programs to be shut down, although I have a sick feeling we may watch welfare and foodstamps become obsolete at the very least. But the entire economic crash like in the last great depression. I don't buy into news reports. I judge based on what I see in my community and in those in my area, on what others tell me from their areas of the country / world (I have God knows how many friends all over the world I talk to regularly). We're not the only country in big trouble, that is the problem. I'm not sure China could bail us out if they wanted to, they're having their own issues. Of course poor Japan is overwhelmed. Europe from what I hear is bad, Germany in many parts has been bad for a while. Odd weather, natural disasters, economy in general are taking their toll.

Most farmers did NOT get their crops out this year. Many of those who did, got them in late and either were rained out or are expecting pitiful yeilds. Food prices are going to continue to rise.

Scarier still? Govt is buying up huge food / supply items from private providers of bulk food staples (survivor type stuff). A year ago you could order easily online just about what you wanted. Now? Most are back ordered due to govt buy outs. It's driving prices up AND making the stuff hard to buy. It's bad when that scares the hades out of the very people selling the goods. Seems the govt itself may be expecting a "crash" of sorts.

Me? My survivor instinct went into effect a year ago, went I once again shifted from stock pile to meet normal needs to stock pile for a long haul. In the past 3 momths, I can't shake an urgency feeling to get stuff stock piled asap.

Another alarm went off in my head when aldis started posting signs they've got the right to limit quantities. NEVER has that store done that. And it's NOT due to coupons because you can't use coupons at aldis. What store is gonna tell you how much of their stuff you can buy?

I'm hoping I'm dead wrong. But regardless I'm preparing for the worst, while hoping things turn around. I remember my stepdad's and grandma's stories of the depression all too well.........AND more so, I remember my grandma's stories of things that should have tipped them off before it hit. It wasn't just the great dust bowl that was the cause, that just made it worse, it was coming anyway. I'm seeing a lot of the same things now. I think that's why my survival instinct may be on high alert.

Another thing that caused me to sit up and take notice? We've got awesome school sales going on. Every year I've always had to fight huge crowds for sales no where near as good as these, yet NO ONE is buying....only like 1-2 people other than easy child and I. Where are the crowds? These kids still have to go to school.

And I'm sorry but I don't buy the news the economy is getting better. I'm certainly not seeing it. I also don't buy the unemployment posted rate......they don't count any of the people who's benefits have run out, and a ton had their's run out not long ago. husband's runs out in sept. Although he still probably won't have a job, he'll no longer be counted among the unemployed.

I talk with people in stores and such, funny, MOST have the same feeling. That's when easy child and I decided we weren't just paranoid. And I noticed at the stores today there are huge bins set aside to donate school supplies just as you would food and such. Goodwill is ALWAYS crowded. Stores, not so much. Our extreme couponers have suddenly stopped. I didn't believe the cashiers when they told me it was because the people had run out of money. Because I thought that was silly, it gives you MORE money to work with........but after what I've seen and NOT seen in the past 3 wks, I think she may be right. We have people in this area who have been unemployed for 4 yrs or more!

I'm having to re-evaluate my whole attitude about katie and M finding jobs. Our stores aren't hiring. Our restaurants aren't hiring. I mean you really have to catch a huge break to get one of those. And of course idiot man had to go and lose the one he managed to get. ugh Our food pantries are basically EMPTY. No one has the money to donate.

I had a long talk with katie this morning. I was busy trying to make her see reality. They can't keep wasting money that may not be there tomorrow. They need to hold on to every penny and start putting food back for emergency. She got scared. Good. Now maybe ( I can dream) maybe she'll stop and think of what she buys.

easy child and I are learning to can to go along with our stockpiles. FYI, you can can just about anything. Never knew that, but now I do. My Mom who lived through the depression is so worried she sent me the funds to buy a pressure cooker and canning equipment even though I'd just called her to borrow her pressure cooker. My mom doesn't do that stuff.

There is a lady 94 yrs old who has put her famous depression recipes online. You can have a cook book sent to you. Anyone wants one pm me for the link. easy child got one and she says it's fabulous....and Nichole and I and katie are getting them too. They're free.

easy child and I are stock piling food, medicines, and first aide supplies, and water. I plan to be as prepared as much as possible given our low income for whatever emergency happens, be it natural disaster, economic collapse, whatever.

Now some of you may think I've taken a nose dive off the deep end. So be it. I hope I am being just paranoid. But the past has a way of repeating itself to those who don't pay attention to it. Our govt has been throwing money at problems for decades without bothering to fix them. It's catching up with them now. They're not going to take money out of their pockets to fix it. If they believed in hard work, they wouldn't be politicians. They didn't warn anyone the great depression was about to hit as I recall either, they were poo pooing it and trying to make it sound like it was no big deal up until they ahd food riots from starving people.

Just my humble opinion. Like I said. I hope I'm wrong. If I am.......I can use all the stuff I have stock piled anyway. win/win

T

TeDo

Wow Hound! I've had this "feeling" since our state government shut down and then started hearing about the same issues on the national level. I haven't been paying much attention, I thought because I figured it wil never happen. But now, after reading your post, my "feeling" has gotten stronger. If I could afford to stockpile, I would but we're scraping the bottom of the barrel as it is. I will definitely be paying more attention to this situation now. You are NOT just being paranoid, I just hope it doesn't happen.

DammitJanet

Well I dont think the banks are going to crash or anything like that. If everyone goes and takes all their money out, then we really will have a huge economic mess. Actually, if you have a bit to invest, now would be a good time. You could probably get a good rate. Not positive but one would think they might be interested in paying more when they need the money. Would seem logical but then we are talking the government.

I am not as worried as lisa. Of course I live with someone who could feed us off the land. I dont believe Obama one iota about SS. Sorry. I know the funds are there for at least the next 7 years and if he keeps talking like this he will only be there for the next 2. Not to get political or anything.

There might be things I would have to cut back on to limit my expenses. I will be glad that my car is paid for in just 3 months I think. October now. If worse comes to worse, I might have to switch cable tv to satellite and just get internet through the cable because it really is more expensive this way. I think. Would have to actually check. We switched in the first place to get the internet. I might go down to one cell phone and get a phone to plug into the computer.

Tony does want to learn to can though so maybe one of you who knows how can send me the info. I think Shari knows how to do it without the pressure cooker. Or there are recipes online on how to do it that way. I hate pressure cookers. We could can meat easily.

muttmeister

I think the legislative branch of our government (both parties) playing chicken with each other. I think they both believe that they'll get this solved at the last minute with the most good points for themselves and the most damage to the other party. The problem is, when you play chicken, sometimes there is a big crash and both sides go down.

I know this country is in a helluva mess. I don't pretend to be smart enough to know how to solve the problems but I do know that from polls of people from BOTH parties, the majority of people want to save Social Security (perhaps with means testing or higher retirement ages) and Medicare (again, perhaps with means testing) and programs that serve the most vulnerable Americans (food stamps, Medicaid, etc. although, again, there are some adjustments that could be made). The huge majority of Americans is in favor of having everybody pay their fair share, including big corporations and the richest among us. Warren Buffet lives in my state and has expounded several times on the fact that his secretary pays more taxes than he does. However, we can't seem to get either house of our Congress to agree on even those basic ideas. I think it's time we throw the whole $%^& bunch of them out and start over.

DammitJanet

Mutt...I couldnt agree more. I was telling Tony just the other day all citizens should have a zap button at their homes (ok, citizens who vote!) and they could zap the politicians who do idiotic things all day while in office. Like wasting tax payers time on piddly junk. The definition of a hot dog? ZAP! If it gets really bad, we should be able to boot em out with ejector seats...lol.

DDD

The "demonization" issues carried over to the actual functioning of Government drives me nuts. Yeah, I know, that politics is a "no no" on the Board. on the other hand, everyone "back in the day" focused on "Monica" but we had a balanced budget and no reason for rampant fear. I think the newbies don't have the experience and background to see the funding issues from a historical perspective. Some politicians, like our new Governor who spent 7 million of his own money to get elected, simply have no idea of the importance of earned support programs to say nothing of need based programs. Really sad. It's like a bunch of difficult child's who think "me" "me" "me". DDD

BusynMember

Actually, I didn't realize exactly what this debt ceiling was all about until recently, but now I do. Basically, if we don't raise the debt ceiling (and I'm not going to weigh in on if I feel we should or should not do it), we simply will not have as much money as we need in August to pay all our debts/programs. Nobody will lend us money either because our credit rating will go *boom*. And nobody is there to bail us out. China will be PO'd because they own a lot of our debt.

If it goes on for a long time, Wall Street will tank and we WILL face a depression without money for any social programs at all. I didn't believe it either at first, but I do now. It is way different for the Fed to default than for a state to shut down/default.

I am hoping they resolve this before August 2nd. If not....it won't be pretty. There will be many people who will not get paid. Social security is actually empty...the government spent it all (isn't that nice?). Anyone who works for the state would also eventually be affected. Unemployment checks also.

I am praying hard that this does not happen.

KTMom91

California has been in limbo for quite a while now, and even though Hubby was rehired (after 14 months unemployed), I'm still looking at canning, baking, repairing, repainting, thrift stores, freecycle, etc., simply because I don't know what's going to happen with the economy.

donna723

Mutt, I agree with you! This, along with so many other issues, has turned in to a political p*ssing contest! Any more, the politics seem to be more important to them than actually moving forward and getting things done and I think people are getting really fed up with it. I know I am! They need to remember that there are millions and millions of retired people and others who depend on social security and medicare, and one thing those retired folks do is VOTE! The first time those social security checks are even one day late, the whole lot of them will be out on their keisters!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, whatever your income, is always a good idea to set aside some canned foods if you spot a sale and or find a coupon, dried goods too. Water, husband and I are saving our milk jugs and 2 liter soda bottles, cleaning them and filling them with water. (if you knew our current water rates, you'd understand why) There are tablets you can get online to preserve it for a long time if you think it necessary. I'm storing it because of high prices and if I run out of money......I'd rather not do without water. Like I said, husband's unemployment runs out in sept. Our funds are very limited, couponing made it possible for me to do, otherwise I'd not have much.......and in my opinion I still don't have much, which worries me. What I'm going to do after sept, I haven't a clue. I may have to start living off my stockpile that soon.

I'm not trying to scare anyone into a panic. I wouldn't go pulling money out of the banks ect. Although I haven't had money in a bank in 2 yrs, and I've never in my life kept much in one, like I had much. lol Money goes in, husband and I pull it all out. He pays the bills, I stretch the rest as long as I possibly can. But there is nothing wrong with being prepared for hard times. My grandma was big on such things, so I've always done it naturally without thinking much about it. And we've had to live off my stock piles a time or two which only reinforces the concept.

Personally I'd like to take the govt by the shoulders and shake some sense into them, but it's like a multi-headed snake. Too busy worrying about their own agendas to worry about the country as a whole.....let alone the people living in it. They're not the ones doing without, so it's not a real problem to them. phht

Even buying one can extra of something, one box extra, ect gives you that much more "just in case". It's what I have to do to keep the sense of urgency at bay because once we pay our bills I don't have much cash to work with. I also go for cook from scratch bulky items......pastas, rice, and beans are a big thing. They're easier to stretch and are cheap to buy.

And I'm sorry, evidently easy child paid for the cookbook. 7.00 approx used with 2.00 shipping and 14.00 new plus shipping for the depression cookbook.

The link for anyone interested:

http://www.greatdepressioncooking.com/Welcome.html

JJJ

I think alot depends on where you are in the country. We have seen steady improvement over the last two years. Many of the businesses in our town are hiring. We just had another Big Box store and a bunch of restaurants open so 100s of new jobs. They also just broke ground on a new mega-mall (think 1.5 miles to walk it) that is providing construction jobs now and retail/service jobs in about 2 years. In fact, our town just rebated 35% of our taxes.

in real life I know 3 people who just got good white-collar jobs after 2+ years of unemployment. I know a few others that are still looking but only 1 who lost her job in the last year (outsourced to India).

Lisa -- I don't think you are paranoid. I think you are smart, you see what is happening in your area and you are taking steps to protect your family. I'm trying to adopt some of your methods (I'm not so good at couponing but I am getting better!). It is always smart to spend as little money as possible.