Anyone ever get stress/nerve rash??

mattsmom27

Hi all. Without going into any detail (not ready), it's been a tough 5-6 days for me. On Sunday night I had a few "spots" on my arms, thought I irritated my skin from cleaning product or something. By Monday morning I had a stress/nerve rash all over my arms, chest and back. It is driving me insane. The itch is enough to drive me over the edge. I have been taking Benadryl for the itch, but since this isn't a allergic reaction, the Benadryl won't stop the actual rash. I have had this happen only once before (from stress then also) and that was so many years ago. It went away with one night. This morning it is still kicking around. I have tried to relax, to rest, sleep, not scratch, etc. Still it is not going away, I think it might be worse but then I can't see my own back either, makes it hard to tell. The crazy thing is that although I was over the edge stressed (to breaking point) back on Friday, I thought I was coping relatively well emotionally. I wasn't breaking down, I wasn't freaking out or anything. :frown: This sucks. I did make an appointment with my doctor this morning, will see him at 11:30. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience ?? How do I make the itch stop?? The Benadryl I am taking because it's what I know my doctor would tell me to try first. It isn't helping. I've tried calomine lotion, no help. Bath with baking soda. No help.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I get those rashes all the time, Melissa. They can look like hives or speckled like measles. And they travel from one part of my body to another. One year the welts on my back drove me up a wall to the point where I went to the pharmacist and pulled up my shirt and showed her right there in the store. lol. She called it some kind of dermatitus but, bit whoop, I could have told her that.

You have my sympathies.

Nothing helps the itch for me except NOT scratching.

Suz

DammitJanet

I get this too. About the only thing that helps is stress reduction...lol. I take the benedryl too hoping it will help with the itch but it only does barely.

I also rub on hydrocortisone cream. If you have any anxiety medications those seem to help most.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My friend has a huge problem with this. The only solution she's found is like Janet said, anxiety medications help her tons.

Hugs

Lothlorien

I have had something since January. It's on both legs, my left arm and the side of my b-reast. It drives me nuts. I went to the dermatologist. She tested to make sure it wasn't fungal and then gave me an ointment, which helped, but it hasn't gone completely. I'm sure it's stress related.

mattsmom27

Thank you all, I was prescribed an anxiety medication (ativan) and a form of antihistamines that work well for anxiety/stress related rashes. Also some prescription strength cream. Here's hoping the combo works! Anyone heard of oatmeal baths helping?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Melissa, when I saw the pharmacist (as described in my earlier reply) she recommended an oatmeal bath. Trouble is, I hate baths and won't sit still long enough for an oatmeal bath to do any good- lol.

Give it a shot. It sure can't hurt.

Suz

nnh61388

I have a rash on my arms and legs. It has been going on three weeks. I thought it was an alergic reaction. I went to the doctor finally. They kept asking was I stressed, I don't feel stressed. Anywho, for the past three weeks I have felt like I could litterally scratch through my flesh. Yesterday I got a steriod shot. Have not itched since. I hope it stays that way.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Docs can miss shingles fairly easily. Took months for my mom to get a proper diagnosis, and that was after everything else they tired didn't work. Depends on the doctor, and depends on the symptoms and how they're displaying themselves.

TerryJ2

Lol!
Just had to add, that having just had shingles, if it doesn't show up on the trunk, neck or back, it can easily be misdx'ed.
I agree, if it's a bona fide "stress rash," an antianxiety medication is the way to go.

I think this is a good thread to keep alive, since we're all stressed out ...