Anyone ever notice we are falling apart???

DammitJanet

I think having difficult child's are hazardous to our health!

If its not bad enough that my mental health is the pits and my joints are disintegrating faster than ones at a Cheech and Chong bash....Now I end up with some sort of auto-immune eye disorder that causes eye infections and dry eyes!

Im falling apart I tell ya!!!

I am on steroids of some sort in my knees, hips, back and eyes now. Then we have the rooster comb gel getting injected into my knees. Not to mention my other assorted medications.

I went out and bought a darn book to keep track of all my doctor appointments and medications because I simply cannot keep up anymore.

crazymama30

my joints are disintegrating faster than ones at a Cheech and Chong bash....
:rofl: :rofl:

I am sorry Janet, but that one gave me a visual

THAT was funny.

But sad. Because it is too true.

I had bleeding problems last year.

Breathing problems this year.

Now I better get to the doctor again before my back and knees buckle under.

Woe is me.

Steely

Janet, I was thinking the same thing. SO many of us on the this board have health problems! It can only be difficult child related. Sigh. But what to do?

G

guest3

oh yeah I am 35, 70 lbs overweight, high blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol, plus anxiety attacks from h- e- double drum sticks, sigh..........................stick me with a fork I'm done! :ill:

DammitJanet

Isnt there a return line at Walmart? I think I have my receipt around here somewhere.

I want to give this "gift" back because it seems that I am allergic to it...lmao.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I never gave much weight to "stess related" physical problems. That was until I became a member of the board. I've been wondering if the difficult child stress has been taking it's toll on us as well. :hammer:

Makes sense.

Sorry to hear about the eye problem Janet. All you needed was something else on your plate.

Hugs

rejectedmom

Yeppers. Stress impacts our health and difficult child's cause stress. Logical conclusion our difficult child's are making us sick. -RM

nvts

Alllright you guys...I'm jumping on this band wagon...well, I'd jump on it if I didn't have to lose...oh, I don't know...around...10 or 70 pounds! I kid you not!

I know just about all of my health issues start with the fact that I'm not eating right, don't get enough exercise (does yelling "get up to your room" and chasing a kid up the stairs really help "tighten my glutes til my butt looks like a bowling ball"?) and I don't allow myself any "me" time! :treadmill:

It's time to stop snacking, sit down and eat like a human as opposed to grabbing anything handy while I'm racing out the door, running back in to get my keys, racing out the door, running back in to get my cell, running out the door, running back in to get my purse, running out the door, running back in because I forgot where I was going, checking the kitchen calendar and running back out the door! Oh man, where ARE my keys!

But, I digress!

I guess if we don't put ourselves first every once in a while, we will go stark raving mad! :wink:

Beth

Chele

Stress can really take it toll on us. I have issues also and I always am the last one of the list to get to all the DR appts. I am constantly researching stuff to having meetings to help my lovely son. His therapy, court dates, Dr appts and injuries.

So, not only are we stressed out, we neglect ourselves which makes it even worse. OH- EXERCISE for good health??????? Forget it.

Hopefully I will live long enough to get the change to think of myself.

Chele

mstang67chic

Going Green
Stress??? US?????????????????? :rofl:

Let's see.....last year I came down with Bell's Palsy. Possible causes? Head injury - not unless you count pounding my head against the wall in frustration, a cold - nope, stress - ding ding ding ding!!!! This year I had a major pain in the butt. Um.....I mean besides the one that sleeps in the other room.

Someone once asked me what I would do without all of the stress and chaos in my life. Once I got past the initial "joking" answers such as taking deep breaths for enjoyment rather than to calm myself before I throttle my child, get rid of the deadbolt on my bedroom door and stop hiding normal household items........I stopped and thought about it. No difficult child related stress or chaos in my life? I honestly have no idea what I would do. Anyone else?

Sunlight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostyetfound07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stick me with a fork I'm done! :ill: </div></div>
you guys are too funny..lol

tired Cheryl

Love the question. I sure have noticed. The question that I would like to ask is "does anyone (besides us)care?"

That is what is amazing to me. I spent the summer wasting away losing weight, being constantly ill and misdiagnosed, only to hear, "How did you become so run down?" LOL Umm let's see...my kid is up about 18 hrs a day and wants to fight with me during most of those hours. When he does sleep he sleep walks and has night terrors. So I decided that my trying to get some sleep was a waste of time. Then there are the nights when I am on seizure watch. Or the nights in the hospital. And the many days at the hospital for routine therapy and exams, etc, etc...

Oh, yeah. That's just my unpaid full-time job. I actually have another unpaid full-time job (I work for myself) and an actually paying part-time job and a easy child 5 year old to care for.

Wonder why I am so run down?

Thank God that after several doctors I found two that pulled me out of physical Hell. But I am far from healthy. My immune system and mental health are spent.

All thoughout my serious illnesses of the summer my husband and Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) thought I was crazy. Well, until they put the PICC line in my arm and started my sixth antibiotic IV. I felt like I had no support in proving to people how seriously difficult child was affecting my health. That made me feel even more upset.

Maybe things are falling apart because I am now over 40? But I don't think so. I really believe that all of the stress, anger, hostility associated with my very hyper difficult child has just worn me down over the past four years. I am amazed at those of you who have survived with older difficult children. It does give me some hope that with enough medication & therapy for the entire family we may survive even if we are crippled along the way.

thanks for the post.
Cheryl

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Stress, good, bad or indifferent impacts our bodies in ways we would never have imagined. I've noticed some years are better - saying that I'm more equipped to deal with the stress than others.

And then there is the continual loads of stress that if you don't have a healthy release valve will take you down.

I think that is why so many of us are reminding each other to take time for ourselves. I'm preaching to the choir here & I'm down & out for the entire year.

I'll be back up & kicking before you know it. I have to believe it.

DammitJanet

Heather, right now we are going with keratoconjunctivitis sicca until they can rule in or out Sjogrens or Rhumatoid arthritis. With the new pockets of fluid on my joints, it is possible that I also have RA too.

goldenguru

When my daughter was at her worst ... I was at my worst. I could barely function.

With that said, I think it is of paramount importance that we take care of ourselves to the very best of our ability. In the social work world we encourage people to consider four components of well being.

Physical - eating right, sleeping enough, moderate exercise, taking good care of the body.

Emotional - taking breaks from drama, having meaningful relationships, doing things that we enjoy, taking medications if necessary.

Intellectual - read good books, take a Chinese cooking class, watch inspiring documentaries ... USE THE BRAIN.

Spiritual - this looks different for every person. But, suffice it to say that we are spiritual beings with spiritual needs. Meet those needs.

Well being is multifaceted ... and requires intentional choices.

What can you do today to take better care of you?? Because we can't care for others if we don't first care for us. Ya know??

DammitJanet

Oh GG, You just outed yourself...You are a social worker??? LOL???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goldenguru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Physical - eating right, sleeping enough, moderate exercise, taking good care of the body.

Emotional - taking breaks from drama, having meaningful relationships, doing things that we enjoy, taking medications if necessary.

Intellectual - read good books, take a Chinese cooking class, watch inspiring documentaries ... USE THE BRAIN.

Spiritual - this looks different for every person. But, suffice it to say that we are spiritual beings with spiritual needs. Meet those needs.
</div></div>

Physical, does this mean dark chocolate M&M's, sleeping when the ambien works, walking back and forth to the car to play taxi, and running to the doctors?

Emotional...taking breaks from the drama (turning the tv from law and order to dancing with the stars?), meaningful relationships (getting a good pet?), havent a clue on doing things we enjoy, and I take a boatload of medications.

Intellectual...I lost my mind years ago and if anyone finds it please tell it to come home.

Spiritual....well I keep praying I wont lose the rest of my mind and Cory keeps using a few choice cuss words at me so Im sure that is taken care of.

LOL

K

Kjs

once I hit 40, everything started falling apart. difficult child troubles got worse, loss of jobs, and I started losing body parts.

Too bad when the doctors open you up they don't cut away some of the fat,... like a chicken!

Sending better health to everyone!

Star*

call 911........call 911
A healthy attitude is paramount to living with these children:

I have to believe that God thought we were incredibly special parents, tough, and right for the job. Despite the health issues.

If you don't believe that try thinking about the last time something "Disastrous" came up in a life of someone you know and you sat back and went "BIG FAT HAIRY DEAL".

It is however; VERY important to take care of yourselves first. Think about it: If you were to perish, WHERE would your difficult child be? This is how I was able to let difficult child go so many times to live in Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s. He was killing me. Dead I was no help to advocate. Alive but apart I could try to do good.

It was a horrible choice to have to make as a Mother, but since he's been gone? No heart attack issues, no stroke, I'm not loosing my hair, I haven't gained weight (I'm not loosing a bunch) but I have other health issues that need to leave and I'll be better and healthier.

Puts a whole new spin on:

If Momma ain't happy Ain't noBODY happy -doesn't it?