Anyone have experience with a teen who is depressed?

Emily D.

My teens guidance counselor informed me that she is depressed. I tried talking to her about it, but whenever I bring the subject matter up, she either A.) Ignores me, OR B.) Brings up a different topic.

I've been diagnosed with MDD,& a few other relatives have psychological disorders. One of my nephews, whom has Bipolar, attempt suicide.As parent I'm really worried that she could possibly be suicidal.

Also, what are your thoughts on using antidepressant with a teenager?

LittleDudesMom

Hi and welcome Emily. Sorry that you had to search us out, but glad you found this wonderful, supportive community!

First and foremost, it's important that your daughter be evaluated by a psychiatrist or, at the very least, a
psychologist (even though they wouldn't be able to prescribe medications, they can often be instrumental along with medications to work through issues). I am assuming by guidance counselor you are speaking about her counselor at school.

*While guidance counselors have usually "seen it all", they are not qualified to make that diagnosis and no doctor would take their word in order to write a prescription for an antidepressant.

*Insofar as your daughter not talking to you, I don't believe that's abnormal for a teen girl - although it also depends on what your relationship is/was. It may be something she is trying to work through herself or perhaps she is frightened by what the guidance counselor has said. Either way, you need to get your daughter in to see a doctor who can begin to treat her if depression is really the issue.

Call and make an appointment today! Don't worry about the what ifs. Keep a guarded but unassuming eye on her - make sure she knows you are there and that you love her. Do not let her feel your anxiety.

*Sharon

Emily D.

Thank you!

Me & my daughter have a pretty strong relationship,so I don't think its due to relationship. She tends to keep her emotions to herself,& how she is physically feeling. The biggest issue in our relationship is her grades. She seems to not care much about her grades until I bug her about it.

*I forgot to mention this before, she is ADHD, she was diagnosed in 1st grade. Because of this she tends to act on a impulse.I am not sure if that effects anything.

She has been booked for an appointment next week Friday. I spoke to her about, & she refuse to go.

L

Liahona

I had depression as a teen. I have depression now. I wish I had started an antidepressant sooner.

Even if your daughter doesn't look like she appreciates your help or even if in hindsight you think it wasn't the best thing to do doing something starts the healing process. Hope I said that right. It is late and my mind isn't wanting to put words together right now.