Anyone have positive findings after MRI??

WNC Gal

My daughter's psychiatrist is recommending an MRI and EEG to rule out any physical cause for her rather sudden onset of psychiatric symptoms just 10 months ago. Has anyone actually had positive findings after such screening? And was that condition the cause of their psychiatric issues?

What is the prognosis / treatment for such disorders - such as temporal seizures, etc?

Liahona

I'm sorry I can't answer all your questions. difficult child 2 did have a normal MRI. The pediatrician ordered one to rule out some brain problems as to why difficult child 2 wasn't talking.

smallworld

easy child/difficult child 2's MRI showed small lesions in her temporal lobes, which according to her neurologist, probably occurred as a result of a blood supply loss in utero. Her two follow-up EEGs -- a short sleep-deprived EEG and a longer 72-hour EEG -- were negative for seizure activity. Her neuro said that the lesions make easy child/difficult child 2 more susceptible to seizures prior to puberty (she hasn't even started puberty), but if she got through puberty without seizures, she would likely not develop them after that point. In addition, the neuro said the lesions could be contributing to her mood instability symptoms. The treatment with anticonvulsants (like Lamictal in her case) would be appropriate whether she had mood instability or seizures.

Given that your difficult child presented with symptoms so suddenly and that she's not responding well to medications, I think your psychiatrist is wise to recommend these tests. It is never wrong to rule out physical causes before accepting a psychiatric diagnosis.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My difficult child Travis' Cerebral Palsy and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) dxes were confirmed by an MRI. The neuro told us that the reason it confirmed the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) was due to the area of the brain that had damage and the extent of that damage. Travis also has temporal lobe seizures which are treated by seizure medications.

Neuro told us it isn't uncommon for those with even very mild CP to be on the autistic spectrum.

But it was a valuable tool to also varify and explain some of the other neuro related issues Travis was having.