Anyone have those natural dog biscuit recipies

Star*

call 911........call 911
Im looking for the HEALTHY ones with NO CORN - CHEAP TO MAKE (meaning I don't want to run out and get ingredients you normally wouldn't find in a regular grocery store) - EASY TO BAKE - and YIELDS more than a $3.00 box of milkbones .......

ANYONE? THANK YOU

recoveringenabler

Staff member
[h=1]Heavenly Health Dog Biscuits[/h]

By: kt baldie
"We had an Aussie Mix with terrible skin allergies. They were so bad that we had to put her on shots. Finally, a groomer in Austin, Texas suggested eliminating corn from my dog's diet. Since we have had difficulty finding corn-free treats, I developed this recipe. Both our dogs love them!"

15864.gif
Rate/Review | Read Reviews (5)​
1,254 Saves

[h=1][/h]

[h=5]Prep Time:
30 Min[/h][h=5]Cook Time:
45 Min[/h][h=5]Ready In:
1 Hr 15 Min[/h]
[h=3]Servings (Help)[/h]USMetric
Calculate

Original Recipe Yield 60 biscuits

[h=3]Ingredients[/h]
  • 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup golden flax seeds
  • 2/3 cup brewers' yeast
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 2 cups oat flour
  • 2 tablespoons organic raw sugar
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 eggs

[h=3]Directions[/h]
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease two cookie sheets.
  2. Combine oats, flax seeds, brewer's yeast, cheese, rice flour, oat bran flour and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk together chicken broth and eggs; mix with oat mixture to make a fairly stiff dough.
  3. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, then flatten into discs. (Or, roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick and cut into 1-inch x 1 1/2-inch rectangles.) Place on cookie sheets 3/4 inch apart.
  4. Bake until dry and the edges turn a light golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool before serving.

Hope it works for you!

InsaneCdn

Got any leftover veggies in your root cellar? The kind that are not quite garbage but you're not too excited about eating?

If so... cook them up - separately, or some combo if you think it goes together. No salt or spices. Just veggies and water.
Strain.
Puree.
Line a cookie sheet with foil, spread puree on foil.
Bake at low tempurature, until "dry" but not "hard".
Cool enough to handle.
Cut into whatever size chunks you want (we use "thumb size"... we have dogs that are officially "large" but definitely not the largest)
Cool completely.
Store in freezer.

Our trainer does this, for cheap treats to use when us doggie owners forget to bring ours, or when ours don't work (need a higher-value statement...)

She uses winter squash, beets, carrots, zuchinni, pumpkin, not sure what all else. Doggies particularly like beets (sweet!)

donna723

Here's one that sounds really easy ...
Ingredients

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Milk or Soy Milk
1 cup Peanut Butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl until well mixed. Knead dough into ball and roll onto a floured surface 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutter or for maximum speed just slice into squares. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until slightly browned on a lightly greased cookie sheet.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thank you everyone. Right at this minute I have to use what is in the cupboard......and I found a milkbone recipe that has no corn on the bullwinkles that sounds like it will make cheap good biscuits yield a bunch and keep a while. When I get caught up financially I'm definitely going to give your recipe a shot RA - ?? How long do those last do you have to store in fridge or cookie jar okay?

Star*

call 911........call 911
YUM they love veggies......so the veggie thing is going into the cookbook and the PEANUT butter will be a huge hit and i have all of that in the house - soy milk, peanut butter and wheat flour. Maybe I'll give those a whirl tonight. The milkbone ones I found on Bullwinkles say it's .30 a pound - so that was very tempting.

donna723

Let me know how those peanut butter treats come out! I'm going to try making them in a few days.

I'm looking around for a recipe for some similar to ones I bought a few weeks ago. We had our little art festival here in town and the local Humane Society had an adoption event and as a fund raiser they were selling homemade dog cookies and biscuits. I ended up buying a big glass jar full of little heart shaped dog cookies that appear to be made with oatmeal and honey. My dog herd absolutely LOVES them, way more than any store-bought treats I've ever gotten for them. So now they have their own big glass cookie jar but it's amost empty! I better get busy!

donna723

MORE RECIPES!!!

I posted on my dog board asking for homemade cookie recipes and got a few more!

Here's one using oatmeal and peanut butter ...

1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 - 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal

mix the peanut butter and oil together til smooth
add water, flour and oatmeal
i usually mix with my hand til blended
I tear off small pieces and put on a cookie sheet and then criss-cross them with a fork to flatten.
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes

This is one using canned tuna but it has to be kept frozen or refrigerated ...

Prep Time: 5 mins Total Time: 25 mins Yield: 1 pan
About This Recipe
"This is a wonderful training treat for dogs. It has the consistency of fudge so you can break off different sized pieces and the dogs can eat them quickly without a mess. It is also "smelly" so your dog can anticipate the treat! You must store it in the refrigerator or freezer."

Ingredients
2 (6 ounce) cans tuna ( do not drain)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (buckwheat, chickpea or hemp flour all work fine)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten (there is no problem toassing in the shell)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Directions
Mix all ingredients with an electric mixer until well blended.
Spread mixture into a greased 9x9 cake pan.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
You know Star, right now I don't have any dogs, so I just googled natural dog biscuits and found that one which seemed so healthy especially for dogs with allergies (which mine used to have too). So I can't answer your question about storing in the fridge or the cookie jar. You sure have options though!! Lots of recipes. Let us know how they turn out.