Anyone Hear From Marg?

susiestar

Roll With It
It occurred to me recently that I haven't heard from or about Marg since our first move when we didn't have internet in May. Does anyone know how she is doing? Has anyone heard from her?

Marg, I hope all is well and you are busy having fun! I miss you!

Marguerite

Definitely busy. Thanks for your concern, friends.

An update on us - mother in law has been a lot more in need of our support. She's just had another month in hospital and they had her on steroids as part of her treatment. But they weaned her off too fast, so just as she came out of hospital, her pain levels and other problems became a HUGE issue and she was barely able to walk, even with her walking frame. We're having to make plans to modify the bathroom, replace a couple of large loose mats, generally take her shopping for clothes (she's lost so much weight). I'm trying to convince her to mainline chocolate. We're down at her place every night for dinner, I cook most nights. But now we also have to stay until she's had her evening shower, in case she trips and falls.

Before mother in law went into hospital, husband & I went on holiday for a couple of weeks. Sis-in-law stayed with mother in law while we were away. So that goes back to early July.

Two weeks ago our church building had its centenary. I was on the committee to plan the celebration and my desktop publishing skills were pressed into service. I (with difficult child 3's help) scanned a lot of photos including some amazing treasures from 1910 and onwards. There were photos of the building, back when it was a (large) private home on the waterfront across the bay from us. More photos of the building in pieces being floated across a sometimes very choppy bay. We had an eyewitness tell us how she watched this aquatic relocation when she was a child and how she saw a chunk fall off when the barge reached the rough water. On the day, my slide shows were received very well (people want copies) and hundreds of people inspected the place from top to bottom. Every door was thrown open, except for those areas where people live. We get people staying for short times at the church building, but at the moment three people live there permanently, in two different sets of rooms. Last Sunday we took down the photo boards and began putting them all away. The next event will be a dinner on Friday night. I'm also now on a committee for a local arts festival next March. I've been asked to join another committee (Christmas event) but I'm going to wimp out.

Hmm, before all this? I've been working on my novel since last November. It is now two novels. The first one is the one I'm focussing on at the moment, I was advised professionally to send it to a large mainstream publisher via an agent. Still trying to find an agent... the second novel is currently being workshopped but looks good. Meanwhile I was asked to speak at an upcoming writers festival on the subject of self-publishing. Three weeks to go... and I needed a new self-published book to demonstrate. So I decided a couple of months ago to get together some of my more unusual stories and put them into a book. For the purpose of the exercise I have to do as much of it myself as I possibly can. The anthology is now at the printer, I signed off on the proofs on Monday morning. I should have my copies by Friday.

I'm supposed to be at a meeting for the writers festival this morning, but a client rang and needed to talk. Killed my schedule completely.

I'm currently recovering from a chest infection plus middle ear infection, it seems that every cold I get now turns into an uncontrollable cough. Ever since I had whooping cough a couple of years ago.

As for the kids - easy child is back to work next week after maternity leave. Baby Grand is loving her first exposure to child care, and I'm sure they are loving having a 9 month old baby who is already walking and climbing.

difficult child 1 is currently working in a supermarket managed by a friend. daughter in law is studying at uni and struggling with her health issues. However, she's getting good results. They are living with her father but he's often away so it means the house is occupied.

easy child 2/difficult child 2 is still struggling financially. She dropped out of uni, couldn't cope with correspondence study. She needs to do something about professional qualifications or she'll never get out of the poverty rut. SIL2 is working in a youth centre for disabled kids. He still does not have his drivers licence.

difficult child 3 has now dropped out of school and will not graduate high school. However, he is already enrolled in an alternative pathway, TAFE (college of technical and further education) studying computers. A TAFE qualification (which he should attain in a couple of months) will replace high school graduation and lead to uni admission if he wants it later on. It's the academic pathway that SIL1 used.

We're hoping to start renovations on mother in law's bathroom soon. The day the waterproofing is done, we'll probably kidnap her for a weekend trip to see easy child, SIL1 and Baby Grand.

I went to a literary talk last night and the guest speaker was a very young lecturer in fine arts. A few of her students were in the audience and I talked to them. They encouraged me to make enquiries about whether I could enrol in a Masters of Fine Arts. Given that the major work for this course is to write a novel, I figure I'm already ahead of the game.

But where would I find the time?

So if I'm not around as much, it's not that I have lost interest. I still have CD not only bookmarked, but a window permanently open so I can keep tabs on you all. I was trying to post most days on a Good Morning thread over in General, but it got to a point where if I didn't do it nobody else would, so I stopped.

I joined CD when difficult child 3 was struggling in primary school (age 9 or so). He's now almost 19. I've learned a lot, our lives have changed for the better in so many ways, you guys have given me a lot of strength and courage. I've weathered breast cancer, I've found that for me the treatment for breast cancer brought unexpected health benefits, and now I feel more unstoppable than ever. But it does mean my daily life is busier.

Marg

Estherfromjerusalem

Wow Marg, what a great update! I am so impressed about your writing, and everything else too. You leave me breathless! And you are truly a wonderful daughter-in-law, your mother in law is very luck to have you around.

Great to hear from you.

Love, Esther

susiestar

Roll With It
Glad to hear you are doing so well! Thanks for popping in and updating us. You sure sound busy, and as happy as you are busy! Glad the kids are doing fairly well, even if they have some struggles to get through. (((((hugs)))))

Although I haven't been around much lately either, I think about you often. Happiness shines through your update in spite of some issues concerning your family. It's wonderful to know you're doing well and if you weren't as busy as you are, I would worry about you, lol... SFR

P.S. Would love to buy copies of your books!