Anyone here with fantabulous cooking skills?

GuideMe

So, I made ground meat rolled up in cabbage for the first time ever. I guess this is more of a Polish dish? Well, the reason why I made it is because I been seeing it on tv forever and my mouth waters every time I see it. Can't really get it at a restaurant so I finally did it myself. I am actually pretty surprised, it came out really good. However, I wish the meat had more taste, a lot more taste. I put egg, salt, onions, and rice in the ground meat. I don't want to overload it with more salt. Is there anything else I can put in it to make the taste really pop next time? Thanks to anyone who answers.

GuideMe

Also, if anyone knows, is there anything I could do to the cabbage to make it more tasty? I want it to taste just like I see it on TV lol

InsaneCdn

Are you talking about holopshi? That's what they would be called around here: cabbage leaves with a meat-based filling, cooked in a tomato-based sauce?

The sauce is critical to the outcome, as is the length of time cooking (long and slow). Around here, the sauce would have lots of garlic and onions, for starters. The rest is whatever your family traditions are (it's not part of my family tradition, so don't have a good recipe)

GuideMe

Yes, that is the recipe. I used the sauce, but I only put a little bit on. Am I suppose to cover the whole thing in the sauce? I only put it on top of the rolls.

GuideMe

It's not my family tradition though. I wish it was, I had it one time somewhere, and omgggggggggg, it was sooo good.

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
My husband is the best cook around here so I read your post to him.

He suggested combining more than one type of ground meat or adding some ground sausage. Another idea is to add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and chopped olives into the meat.

He hasn't prepared this before but he's looking it up right now so I bet he will give it a try some time this week.

GuideMe

My husband is the best cook around here so I read your post to him.

He suggested combining more than one type of ground meat or adding some ground sausage. Another idea is to add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and chopped olives into the meat.

He hasn't prepared this before but he's looking it up right now so I bet he will give it a try some time this week.

Oh ok. You know, I heard of making meatloaf with three different types of meat before, maybe I will give it a try with this. Olives, check. I like olives. And if he makes this week that would be awesome! Love to hear about it. I am thinking something else needs to be done to the cabbage besides just steaming it (for the taste)

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I've never cooked polish food. I married into an Italian family. I have mastered their meatballs :smile:. I use ground beef and ground pork equal amounts, Italian bread crumbs and grated romano cheese, onions, egg and a little love :p. I have used the basics of the meatball recipe for many other dishes including meatloaf. The key for the meatballs is to cook them low and slow in the sauce.
I love cabbage rolls and after reading your post you have inspired me to make some.
I like the idea of using olives of course I like green olives. Ok, now I'm hungry.
Happy cooking.

GuideMe

Haha, the ones on TV def look tastier than mine Lil. They gotta be lolol. And thanks for the links!

Tanya, I was hungry too! They have a Polish restaurant which advertises this type of food but that place is over 2 hours from here! It took me a year, but I finally made them! Let me know how yours come out!

GuideMe

I just looked at the link Lil and that's the recipe that I used! I missed the Worcestershire sauce so though, dang. Do you think we can cook these in a crock pot in the tomato sauce?

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
You can cook just about anything in a crock pot. (I own 6 of them) I love crock pot cooking.

As for using different meat's together I do think it helps with flavor and when I make meatballs the ground pork helps to cut the fat from the ground beef.

GuideMe

Well, the reason I ask about the crock pot is because you have to put toothpicks through them. Wasn't sure if you could put the toothpicks in there?

InsaneCdn

traditionally it is baked, covered in the sauce, at fairly low heat. sometimes they add more sauce midway thru cooking so it doesn't dry out. Should be COVERED in sauce.

GuideMe

traditionally it is baked, covered in the sauce, at fairly low heat. sometimes they add more sauce midway thru cooking so it doesn't dry out. Should be COVERED in sauce.

Thanks for that IC, makes me feel better knowing I did it the right way except completely covered in sauce. I only put light sauce on top of it. Maybe that's why the lack of taste. Next time I will cook it in all sauce.