Anyone know anything about little dog's health/cancer/seizures?

Lil

Our little girl Suzie has developed bladder cancer - TCC. We know this is incurable and we know she only has 3 to 6 months, 9 to 12 with chemo, which we haven't chosen to do. She's on piroxicam. In the last three weeks - we noticed she has a bad wobble – weakness in her back legs. She literally will fall down at times and it got progressively worse. I took her to the vet yesterday and the diagnosis was – not related to the cancer at all, but some form of myopathy. She gave her a “laser treatment” and sent her home. Last night she had a seizure…stiff as a board, lost bladder control…lasted about 30 seconds. It was her second of the day. The first, I had not really been sure about, as I only caught the very end of it, and we've realized a prior incident when she fell and lost bladder control the day before may have been one before. She does not seem out of it afterwards. Within a minute, she’s up and about and fine. I call the vet in a panic and she seems to think that this also is a separate thing…”old dogs sometimes develop seizure disorders.”

Really? This dog has never been ill. Within a month, she gets cancer, myopathy and a seizure disorder? Is this even possible? I just don’t know what to think. Any kind of help anyone could give me would be so appreciated!

seek

I am totally into natural remedies and energy healing, so can't comment on the traditional stuff, but I had a dog from age 17-20 (Chihuahua) who had seizures frequently. I do Reiki so I would give him Reiki, but the first thing I would do when he was having a seizure is pick him up and hold him tight and talk to him.

As I said, he lasted till 20 (was also blind and deaf) and was a very happy little guy. Miss him. Good luck with yours!

KTMom91

My Buddy is nearly 18, and has been shaky on his legs, particularly the back legs, for several years. He can't leap up on things anymore (tough for a Jack Russell), and recently he's losing his balance when pooping and falling over. He has had seizures before, where he's lost bladder/bowel control, but it's been many years since he's had one.

Bud had never been ill, but he had a cancerous tumor removed from his groin area almost two years ago. He's lost weight and is slow, but I figure if he isn't in pain and he's eating, drinking, pooping and aware of his surroundings, we're good. I make his food in the Crock-Pot and lift him when he wants up. Just taking care of him the best I can.

kim75062

I had a Great Pyrenees/mastiff mix that made it to 17 when I put him down. I loved that dog more then anything. He was by best friend and I had him from a puppy when I was 10 years old. I named him Klondike after my favorite food at the time. He was pure white with a few chocolate drops on his head. He grew up with me and my own children.

At 14 he developed a mass cell tumor on his back. It was removed and no signs of any other cancer. At 17 he ended up with bladder cancer. We did chemo with no success.

He too had daily small seizures near the end. At the time we assumed it was from the toxins building up in his system due to the cancer spreading to his kidney. In his last week he went blind and required me or hubby to carry all 150 pounds of him if he needed to go more then 15 feet. It was heart wrenching to say the least.

I have no advice for you but my heart aches for you ❤️. Love your fur baby as much as you can while she's still here.

pasajes4

Lil, I am so sorry about your fur baby. My little Gizmo has helped me get through some really tough times. He is always happy to see me and can sense when I need some TLC. He will sit next to me and rest his head on my lap. I can't imagine not having him with me. He literally goes everywhere with me.

Lil

Thanks everyone. As sad as I am, I'm more worried about Mac's reaction than losing Suz. He and she are littermates and have only ever been apart when one has to go to the vet and then the one left behind is a very unhappy little dog. I've googled till I can google no more, trying to get a grasp of what's happening. I don't think the vet can possibly be right and I need a second (third?) opinion. I know the cancer is a correct diagnosis - took her to a very expensive visit to the university vet hospital for a second opinion there - but the other two things can't just be coincidence. That would be like a healthy human suddenly getting cancer, Parkinson's, and a ALS all at the same time!

And on top of it all - I constantly worry we'll have to cancel our trip to Colorado at the last minute. Accommodations are refundable - but I SO want to see my son! :(

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Lil, I don't know anything about dog health but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you. Sending love, hugs, and prayers.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Lil

I got my first dog at the age of 40 and it was a Yorkie named Max and he was very handsome. He was my bestie! He was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 9 and after six months of giving him shots twice per day during which he did well, he went blind. He still seemed pretty happy so we fenced in an area of the yard so he could be outside and be safe. He was still happy! Then he started going potty all over the house and it was just too much. We had to put him down but I still think of this day and he is one of the "people" on the other side I cannot wait to see!!

I rationalized that he had a good life, better than a lot of people. That did help. Good luck with your little one!
:grouphugg:

kim75062

Thanks everyone. As sad as I am, I'm more worried about Mac's reaction than losing Suz. He and she are littermates and have only ever been apart when one has to go to the vet and then the one left behind is a very unhappy little dog. I've googled till I can google no more, trying to get a grasp of what's happening. I don't think the vet can possibly be right and I need a second (third?) opinion. I know the cancer is a correct diagnosis - took her to a very expensive visit to the university vet hospital for a second opinion there - but the other two things can't just be coincidence. That would be like a healthy human suddenly getting cancer, Parkinson's, and a ALS all at the same time!

And on top of it all - I constantly worry we'll have to cancel our trip to Colorado at the last minute. Accommodations are refundable - but I SO want to see my son! :(

When the time comes and you fur baby is no longer here in body let her buddy be there.

It's the one thing I remember my vet telling me. Animals have no way to know what happened unless they can see and smell it. When mine was ready to go the vet came to my house and gave him his shot while our other dog (hubbys then 10 year old boxer) at his side as they've always been. She mourned his death in the way dogs do(moopy for a week) but I think it really helped her.

Lil

Thanks all!

We took her back again on Friday for a second opinion with another vet and it went much better! This vet seemed to take the seizures much more seriously, suspected cancer...but maybe not! Of course, she still has the original cancer, but her blood work showed an infection and since some infections (she specifically mentioned some tick-born diseases) target the central nervous system, it could very well be that. She's on half a dozen medications - some for the cancer, some for the seizures, some for infections, some just "boosters" but she does seem to be feeling much better and we haven't seen a seizure all weekend! So...that's good!

We switched our kennel accommodations to Mac in the regular kennel and Suz in the treatment area - which they are going to hate - but now we know both will be taken care of and their medications properly given. We board at the vet anyway - they have an attached boarding/grooming kennel. So...looks like the trip is on and she seems to be on an upswing. It's good! :)