Anyone make homemade sausage?

DDD

Wonder what would happen if you rolled the sausage in aluminum foil and either simmered it or actually baked it in the oven turning it often?? DDD

DammitJanet

They do those sausages in the saran wrap all the time on Iron Chef. Now you do have to have the water in a bath of some sort. I think I would watch some episodes of that until you see them do it. I dont think it would have to be many because they do fish quite often.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Update - Houston,we have sausages, pork though not the lobster/scallops (will have to wait till payday to make that) LOL Started out with the easiest receipe - sweet pork sausage. Got 10 pounds of pork shoulder (80/20) from the wholesale meat market for 12.00, and a ton of casings were about 5.00, and we already had the fennell, course ground pepper, salt and sugar and ended up with about 65 sausages. It wasn't as hard as I thought - too much reading on the web about it isn't good. But now I know why my family only made them twice a year at major holidays. It just so labor intensive. We had left some for sausage patties for breakfast in the morning so that will be a treat.

But I have decided that it will be cheaper to make my own hamburger meat-we go thru a lot of it and its getting expensive. Just have to decide what meat would be best.

Marcie

DDD

Way To Go, Marcie! I'll be interested in your meat grinding experience. If it were me, and I'm glad it's not LOL, I'd ask a few butchers for their recommendation. Close to fifty years ago my Ex and I bought a meat grinder thinking it would be a great way to save money. The grinder was a huge PIA to clean, heavy to move etc. etc. Maybe in 2012 they have easy clean, light weight ones. I'm rootin' for you. DDD

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
DDD, my cupboard seems to be full of machines meant to save money on preparing food. What bright (tongue in cheek) ideas SO has come up with were added to by his mom who watched cooking shows all day and purchased everything they had to sell. She got them, never used them, then when he would visit her, would send them home with him. Yesterday I was trying to clean out the cupboards and trying to get him to agree to let the Rocket Grill 2000 go for a garage sale. He started with the "but its never been used - we have the unopened box of bags (which mind you, you cannot purchase anymore) -you can make chicken breasts in there. Clarification - ONE chicken breast - and when have I just made dinner for one? Or the multi tiered steamer/cooker which left the meat not cooked thru, or the meat/cheese slicer which has been used once (a PITA to clean), or the food dryer used once to make Beef Jerky (we could have bought a case of it for less money), the counter top electric grill which you CAN make 12 LARGE porkchops in - its nice - but there is just two of us and on a good day 4.

A stand alone meat grinder was on the table, but I have the Kitchen Aid mixer and the attachment was an inth of the price and worked just as well, and was very easy to clean. He actually wanted to bring one of the 1920 grinders that screwed onto a kitchen table home from the store to use..mmmm....no....gawd only knows what that kind of stuff previously was ground up in it.

Thankfully we have enough friends who have been asking to try the sausages we can share and not be left with so many. Will let you know how the hamburger goes :)

Marcie

DammitJanet

I did buy Tony the professional meat grinder for Xmas 2 years ago I think. He loves it. Im not sure that one that attaches to a mixer would handle processing an entire deer. But then again, I dont have a Kitchen Aid mixer either and maybe I should have insisted on that too...lol.

I will tell you that if you can find someone who kills a deer you will need to add some beef fat to it. Preferably about 25% to it so it will have some moisture. I have no idea about the other wild meats but find out about the fat content of each of them. Go from there. If you are even turning a beef product into ground beef, do make sure you add a tad bit of fat because you do want a little bit to give it some flavor. Their are some cuts like a brisket that are tuff to cook but might go through the grinder okay but I think I might add say a pound of beef fat if you are using a 10 pound brisket. I was amazed at just how little grease came out of our meat yesterday.