Anyone that had child diagnoised as early as 5?

JJJ

Your husband's income shouldn't be counted when getting services for your son. Unless he has adopted him, he is a legal stranger to him.

jcox

The cruelty to animals is a sign of mental illness. I know that my son who is six has not been abused, but he has been cruel to animals since he learned to walk. He was given his first diagnoses at the age of three which were Bipolar and ADHD. Within this past year he has been given more diagnoses which include Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, Sensory Processing Disorder, and Cognitive Disorder with Executive Functions Weakness. His Bipolar diagnoses remains confirmed now even though through the years different psychiatrists have said Mood Disorder instead. With his delays and history I believe he would greatly benefit from a neuropsychologist evaluation. Honestly one way to get him on Medicaid to help with his mental health bills would be to request voluntary services through your local Child Protective Service unit. They may be able to help if he were to need a residential placement too. Since you say his father has mental health issues too, that brings me to believe that he most likely has bipolar instead of ADHD. Bipolar is often misdiagnosed in children that actually have Bipolar. One way to find out is once these children begin medications used to treat ADHD such as Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, etc. They are all stimulants and if a child has BiPolar (BP) then the stimulants will make them worse instead of better. As far as can these children be fixed? That is a tough one and I don't think so although they can be accomodated, and learn skills to better deal with thier behaviors as they get older, depending what the actual diagnoses are. I would inform the school that your son will be attending next year and request an IEP evaluation. Tell them your concerns so they can be more prepared with the testing that he might need.

Janice

Tania_port

Thanks Janice. I received a call from the school today telling me that they are going to do some testing on him with the school pathologist on thursday and monday. Im not really to sure what they are going to do but when i went and met with them for his speech therapy they asked me all kinds of questions. I told them that i cannot control him anymore and i dont know what to do. They told me that the pathologist can do many things and its all free. They know hes going to be at their school and they have know about him for 3-4 months now. I took him to a new pediatrician today and they told me no medication yet. Within a few days they will be calling me. I had to fill something out for them and mail it back to them. Everyone knows about my son and his problems. Im doing whatever i can to let all the people know that hes out of control. I dont know if the medications are even going to help. Gosh I hope it doesnt make him worse. That would be awful.

Tania_port

JJJ,
I couldnt even get my son in PreK because we make to much money, they use the slide scale on that also here in arkansas. I took him up their on the day early in the Am with my hopes up of getting him in then this lady brings out the paper showing me how much money i can make. They go by the income in the house. I was pretty irrated that day. Because i was very much looking forward to him going to school. If you make okay money they assume you can afford the schooling but the truth is if your bills are high then you dont have much left over. Everythings expensive. Thats why he didnt go to school this year.