Anyone tried Mood Positive 5-HTP

Christy

I saw this product in Costco and have thought about adding it to my son's medication regimen. Before doing so I want to make sure that nothing would be detrimental to him and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this product?

The product contains:
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Tablet

Amt Per Serving
%DV
Vitamin B-6 10 mg 500%
(from Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)
Folic Acid
200 mcg 50%

Vitamin B-12 50 mcg 833%
(Cyanocobalamin)

5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan)
50 mg

(derived from Griffonia simplicifolia) (seed)

Suntheanine® L-Theanine
50 mg

* Daily Value Not Established

Other Ingredients

Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Cellulose, Stearic Acid, Silica, Magnesium Stearate, Methylcellulose, Cellulose Gum, Glycerin.

NO Yeast, Wheat, Corn, Milk, Egg, Soy, Glutens, Artificial Colors or Flavors, Added Sugar, Starch or Preservatives

Other Information

100% Vegetarian

Claims to:

Promote Balanced Serotonin†

Support Feelings of Happiness and Well-Being†

Help Reduce Anxiety†

difficult child currently takes risperdal, tenex, and cogentin in additional to a fish oil supplement.

He is diagnosed as bi-polar and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified.

He does not do well on stimulants or antidepressants.

Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Christy

Josie

I haven't tried that particular combination but my daughter took 5 HTP and L-theanine at one point. The 5 HTP is supposed to be a precursor to serotonin and the L-theanine is supposed to be calming. L-theanine is what makes green tea supposed to be calming.

I thought the 5 HTP was helping some at the time. I was taking her to a psychiatrist that used amino acids for treatment and unfortunately, he dropped her when it was discovered she had Lyme Disease. I didn't keep it up because she had to take a lot of other pills and it wasn't benefitting her enough to make a big deal over.

I know you are supposed to avoid 5 HTP is you are taking an a/d. I'm not sure about the other medications your child is on. You could use a drug interaction checker or ask at a natural type pharmacy if you have one. Under that psychiatrist's care, my daughter was taking an a/d and the 5 HTP. I was comfortable with that when he was supervising, but not when he stopped.

Christy

Hope,

Thanks for the info. I've used a drug interaction checker and there are no interactions noted with the medication difficult child is currently taking but I've decided to wait and check with his psychiatrist and in the meantime see if I can find some more info about it.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I hope you daughter is doing well.
Christy

crazymama30

I don't know about that combo, but I take 5htp and I have found it helps me to be less irritable and to have better control over my temper. I also think it helps me with anxiety.

I would check with the psychiatrist before doing anything, and some psychiatrists are very anti supplement.