Anyone try an internet phone, like Vonage?

BusynMember

Although I don't want anything to do with Vonage, I do want an internet phone. the only reason we can't downgrade our family cell phone plan is.................(sniff) me.

I use up too many minutes.

I don't even like cell phones that much and would be happy talking on an old fashion phone and only using my cell to text, but I would need an internet phone. Any feedback on this? Probably not...it's likely not very popular here...but a gal has to try :) I want all the info I need before we pick which system we are going to buy.

Mattsmom277

My S/O's aunt has been using strictly MagicJack for several years. It is superb quality and can't beat a year of service, long distance and all features included, for less than a one month local land line bill. My best friends parents also switched strictly to it a couple of years ago and swear by it, haven't ever had issues.

buddy

My Mom uses one my sister had bought and we can't tell and different. I have a free Google phone number and I've used it a few times, it's amazing!

witzend

My Mom uses one my sister had bought and we can't tell and different. I have a free Google phone number and I've used it a few times, it's amazing!

Buddy, which one does your mom and sister use?

Do you use an actual phone with your Google phone number? How?

buddy

Buddy, which one does your mom and sister use?

Do you use an actual phone with your Google phone number? How?
I'll check with mom. I have used my computer with the Google number. you get email if a message is left and can click on it to listen. I think you can use a headset. I never checked into a phone, only used the number for emergencies like when i lost my cell.

LittleDudesMom

I'll have to look into this. My security system is obviously tied to my phone line, it's how the police are notified as well. I have a CO2 detector and heat detector in the basement and two smoke alarms, one on each floor, that are tied to that system as well. That way, if I'm not home and there is a fire, the fire dept is notified immediately. Not sure how that would work.......I don't have one of the newer wireless systems....

Sharon

witzend

Well, I'll be able to tell you myself in a few days. I ordered my Magic Jack Plus online yesterday. They're all sold out at the stores, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens when it comes.

buddy

Turns out I was wrong abt. Mom. My sister has Verizon so got a $10 landline through them thru her account and gave it to mom. She needed it because their building door system is connected to their phones. I didn't even know Verizon had non cell options.

witzend

Turns out I was wrong abt. Mom. My sister has Verizon so got a $10 landline through them thru her account and gave it to mom. She needed it because their building door system is connected to their phones. I didn't even know Verizon had non cell options.

Only in certain areas of the country.

LittleDudesMom

easy child lives in a building where vios is not available. Verizon is cheaper than the local cable option for internet only but you have to have a land line phone line with Verizon in order to have their internet service.

Verizon is an offshoot of the old "ma bell" after it was split (the other being AT&T - a little more convaluded and complicated, but that's the simple explanation).

Sharon

Lothlorien

I have VOIPO. I like them. I checked into Vonage and it was more money. VOIPO costs $149 for the unit and then you don't pay another bill for two years. Then it's $149 again.

The features that I like about them is 1. When telemarketers call, I go on my panel online and click on their number. I can forward it to a phone number of my choice (I have a list, if you'd like it) or they will get a disconnect message or they will get a busy signal. 2. I can also have certain numbers go directly to voicemail if I choose. 3. The phone can be cloned. I have a panasonic 4 phone cordless set. I also have a GE cordless. Each base is plugged into the VOIPO box. If Missy is on the GE phone and talking like 12 year old girls do, I can still call and receive calls on the Panasonic.

The only negative is that you cannot fax, but for $4.95 a month, you can have a fax line that allows you to fax directly from your computer and incoming faxes go to email.

Occasionally, the phone does go wonky and needs to be reset by simply unplugging and replugging the box back in. The telemarketing features are worth this minor inconvenience!

Lothlorien

by the way, Magic Jack stinks! It works fine for a month or two and then you cannot hear anything. Their customer support is through an IM Chat and it stinks. I wouldn't waste you money on it. I took the first one back to Radio Shack and the second one did the same thing in less time. Not worth the aggravation.