Apology in Advance

susiestar

Roll With It
I know this may seem minor, but it really has bothered me. I want to apologize in advance for spelling and capitalization errors. I really do know how to spell and even to type. I am having a LOT of problems getting my hands to work, esp the fingers on my left hand and my pinkies. So I hope it doesn't cause problems and if something doesn't make sense feel free to ask about it. I won't be upset or offended, promise!

This is expected, according to my docs. I will keep fighting to fix it but it isn't going to be easy given the nature of the nerve damage and the other problems. The bone stuff is contributing and making things very odd in terms of how it feels. I don't know exactly how it works with the other stuff and I doubt the docs do either, but it is what it is.

anyway, thanks for the patience and understanding. I may not capitalize much because it isquite difficult.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Susie - when I text, I rarely think to stop and capitalize. I may have a degree in English, but I very much understand!

Besides, being here has changed the way I type... I find myself using in my opinion, Know what I mean?, etc... And driving people nuts!

So you're forgiven, though there wasn't anything to forgive. Just feel better is all!

DDD

No need to apologize. I do understand your feelings. That's why I posted the other day explaining why my posts are so out of alignment. It's embarrassing! DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
Those can be helpful but they set off the nerves in my skin and they scream nonstop if I wear them. I pulled them out a few weeks ago to try again and things are progressing with that also. I am going to try to find my wrist guards like they make for roller balading - i used to be abel to wear those for short periods of time.

I know a lot of people who have awesome results with those, and with the fingerless stitching gloves that they make. Part of my problems are that what would help one problem makes another one much worse. It is frustrating to my docs even.

TerryJ2

No apologies needed. I would rather partake of your wit and wisdom, uncapitalized, than see less of you because you are slaving over every piece of punctuation.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
No apology needed ~ we all have our demons; physical & otherwise. Have you checked the ease of access under control panel of your computer? You can with some versions of windows use an on screen keyboard. Check the assisted technology section on the control panel. It's helpful to me on painful or "clumsy" days.

H

HaoZi

I've had carpal tunnel since my late teens, I understand the pain of trying to type or click a mouse on bad days. I've tried the wrist things nvts posted, and while they can help me for a while, they start to really irritate me after a bit without providing enough support for me, and they tend to not fit me right. If if tells you anything about how hard it is to find wrist/hand stuff that fits me, I wear a youth large batting glove. So all of the pediatric wrist splints are too small, but even the small adult ones are too big. I often end up trying to use the narrow ACE bandages when I absolutely have to have something, though I will use those wrist compression gloves when I have to drive a lot.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
There is a software application out there called 'Dragon' or 'Dragon Dictate'. You speak into a microphone attached to the computer and it translates your word into text.

I don't own it, but likely will need it in the future. I have a friend who has MS who uses it almost exclusively and I tried it out at her house. It comes with a 40K word dictionary that you can add additional words to.

You punctuate and capitalize by speaking. If I wanted to say: "Susie needs to type something." I would say: Open quote cap Suzie needs to type something period close quote".

The awkwardness wears off very quickly and it becomes stream of consciousness.

It's also not horribly expensive. I've seen it on sale for as little as fifty dollars and any office supplies store should carry it.

T

TeDo

There is a software application out there called 'Dragon' or 'Dragon Dictate'. You speak into a microphone attached to the computer and it translates your word into text.

It's also not horribly expensive. I've seen it on sale for as little as fifty dollars and any office supplies store should carry it.

The DRAGON program is one of the accommodations the sd has made for difficult child with his writing issues. He loves it and is insisting we get it for at home. It is priced at $50 regular price at WalMart. I have seen the exact same thing priced at double that or more at most other places. There are several different versions available depending on what you want to be able to do with it. The more it does, the more it will cost. I am planning on getting it when I get my tax refund. I might even have some fun uses for it as I have nerve problems in my left hand (similar to carpal tunnel but mine is in the elbow so pinkie and ring finger are numb).

By the way, I agree with everyone else that WHAT is said is more important.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have seen the program. I wondered if it was as fluid as it seems on the ads. What you say for punctuation etc... seems like what mom used to say for dictation. Once in a while I would read something into the dictaphone for her with that style. She could type at home but often it had to then be entered into a specific program or whatever and this was back when computer discs were almost a foot across and programs didn't import from anything else. If possible I will try it if we get any tax refund. I may ask the school for it for thank you if his hand issues continue.

H

HaoZi

Outside of the hand (pinkie and ring finger) is ulnar nerve. I've done that, too, no permanent damage luckily. An elbow brace helped that for me.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yup. I'm more familiar with the microcassettes, but one short term temp job I had in my teens still used the dictaphones. I HATED the things

M

ML

I like how Terry put it. You are wise and intelligent and we know you too well to ever judge you by grammar... I look at it as creative/literary license. I do wish we had spell check on here at times but I'm too lazy to type in word and paste it over. We love you.

H

HaoZi

Huh. Maybe it's my browser that has the spellcheck thingy, because when I type it does the little zigzaggy red line thing under words it doesn't like and I can right-click to pick the correct one. I used to game a lot in a game with live chat and we had players who played from their phone or had cats walk on keyboards or players for whom English was a 2nd or even 3rd language and whatnot, so I rarely think much about misplaced letters and skipped words. I just happen to love to write and since my spelling ability took a nosedive when spellcheck became common, I prefer to not devolve into webspeak, textspeak, and other shortcuts too much. Though I have found myself not capitalizing as I should in texts more often.