Apple-Pear Pie

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have made about 8 pies this summer and so far this one was rated the best by everyone hands down. I thought I'd share the recipe with you (busywend*):

FILLING:
3 Firm Pears
4 Tart Cooking Apples (I happen to like Macouns)
1/3 C Sugar (I use brown sugar)
3 Tbs Corn Starch
1/8 Tsp salt
Grated rind of lemon
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 raisins (if desired - I don't desire)

CRUMB TOPPING:
1/3 C Sugar (brown)
3/4 C Flour
1 Tsp Cinnamon
6 Tbs cold butter cut in pieces

(BOTTOM)CRUST:
1 C Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/3 C cold shortening cut in pieces
2 Tbs ice water

Make your bottom crust (or use a pillsbury crust) and line your pie plate. Shape edges, stab bottom with fork and put in freezer to set.

For the filling: Peel and core the pears & apples. Slice thinly into a large bowl. Stir in the 1/3 C sugar, corn starch, salt and lemon rind. Add lemon juice and stir to blend. Set aside.

For the crumb topping: In a separate bowl, combine the 1/3 C sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter and blend with your fingers (or a pastry cutter) to blend - should look like coarse crumbs. Set aside.

Spoon your filling into the bottom crust, smooth out with a peak in the center, top with the crumb topping evenly.

Place on a cookie sheet in center of oven set at 450F degrees and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350F degrees and continue baking for 35-40 minutes until browned. You can place some foil around the edges to keep from over browning, but it's not necessary. Let cool and serve with ice cream or whipped cream. For an added twist, you can add a 1/4 C of well chopped, almost ground walnuts - adds a nice flavor. Very yummy.

Pears and apples are in season now so this is perfect!

Lothlorien

Sounds wonderful. I had gotten a recipe off the Food Network for this pie shell...sooo good. It had 12 tbsp of butter, sugar flour and salt. I think that was it. OMG it was better than the pie filling!

busywend

Oh thank you Jo!!! I will be printing this one out and trying it soon. I have to make sure I get it right before the holidays!

:vote:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
H and I just had a piece with some whipped cream and tea. Can you say YUM?? I hope you enjoy it. This Sunday I am making a mixed berry pie with a cross hatch crust.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Thanks for the wonderful recipe, I'm going out later today for ingredients! And the whip cream or better yet, ice cream sounds like just the right topping!