APPLE RECIPES / FESTIVAL INFO

scent of cedar

JO, here is the apple squares recipe. :smile:

3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c shortening

Mix salt with flour. Cut shortening in with pastry blender.

Beat together and add to pastry mix:

1 egg
1 egg yolk (reserve white for glaze)
1 1/2 T lemon juice
1 1/2 T cold water

Pat half of dough onto bottom only of jelly roll pan.

Filling:

1 1/2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
3 T tapioca
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
10-12 peeled, sliced apples

Fill bottom crust with apples. Roll out top crust and place over apples. (Pastry will fall apart ~ this is okay. Layer it over the apples. It will look beautiful once it is baked. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes and then, at 350 for 30 minutes.

Drizzle with powdered sugar glaze when cool.

Serve with ice cream if apples are tart.

:smile:

APPLE FESTIVAL INFO

It's apple festival time in the northern states! For anyone wanting to do a festival, there is one on the first weekend in October in Bayfield, Wisconsin. The festival is held in a town right on the shores of Lake Superior. The leaves are peaking there at that time, and the colors are amazing.

During the festival weekend, everything smells like apples. There are carameled apples, apple bread, apple sundaes, apple cider, apple jelly, apples and pork, apple brandy, apple wine ~ you name it. If you can make it from an apple, they will have done so. It is possible to pick your own apples from the orchards or purchase these huge baskets from those who grow them

http://www.bayfield.org

Barbara

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oooh thanks! It sounds like everyone will love it. Maybe I will make some for the party on Sat.

I will add my apple cake recipe if I remember later at home.

See now I am feeling all nostalgic.

My family used to go apple picking every year. I mean when we were kids. Much like Barbara was talking about. We would go to Wauconda to the same orchard every September. And every year, on the way, my dad would make a joke about the road apples. And we would be in the back seat laughing and laughing. And my mom would be smacking him in the arm. "Chriiiii-wiiiiiss! don't say thaaaaaaat!"

And then as we were loading up our booty (2 baskets of Red Delicious, a basket of Granny Smith, and double baskets of Jonathons & McIntosh for baking, cider, caramel, and a few gourds that I am SURE my dad used to make X-rated pumpkins), at LEAST one of us would take an apple, throw it on the ground, and say "look dad! a ROAD APPLE!!"

And get beaten in front of EVERYBODY. By mom. That's how she rolled.

Ah the good old days.

scent of cedar

ARGGHHH! What a great story BBK!

(It's pirate day, guys!)

Isn't it funny how we can remember doing things like that as kids, and it was so dang miserable at the time ~ but we remember it with such fondness?!?

Road apples!

I was thinking cow pies when you said that. No one else asked the question though?

And I didn't want to look like the only one who didn't know what a road apple was.

Heh. :blush:

That's good that the thread brought up such beautiful memories.

For me, too! :smile:

I just love everything about Fall.

Barbara

:smile:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Family Trradition or True confession? LOL.

When we were kids my mother would load me and my sisters into her Chevy Nova and drive us all the way out to the east end of LI. It was late summer, early fall...okay? Picture it, a car full of women riding along the country farm roads. It would inevitably be late afternoon, almost just before the sun went down.

Mom would jump out of the car, open her trunk and then we would get out and skim the potato fields for the potatos that were 'missed' by the farmer. Yes, she said, "he doesn't need those - he leaves them there for us"!! We'd go home with a trunkful of potatos - bonified good hard potatos. We'd keep some in the cellar for the winter, but mom would sometimes set us up at the end of the driveway to sell some on Saturdays.

Bwaaahaaaahaaaa....oh the horrors of my childhood! My one sister is still in therapy over this, can you beleive it?? I'm thinking it will make a great story to tell my grandkids one day when they complain about doing yard work with their parents. Haha.