Are some teachers seriously still this clueless???

Malika

Very insensitive. Do you have some sort of national curriculum in the US like there is in the UK and France - is that where these questions come from? I would go and see the teacher concerned, who needs to be aware of the inappropriateness.

pasajes4

Wow!!!! if this is part of the curriculum, I would be breathing down the necks of the state board of education. This sounds like a whole class survey and in Texas a survey cannot be done without clearance from the school board. Students can opt out without penalty. Teachers can be fired for conducting surveys without approval and must notify parents in writting prior to the survey and they must have parental approval in writting before they can conduct the survey.

tiredmommy

I'm a bio and I wouldn't like that. You see, I found out out I was pregnant with Duckie on the day that my cousin's baby boy went into the hospital. He died two days later. I didn't tell my family for a few months because the grief was just so raw. Also, it isn't her school's business that I had a low-lying placenta and was a candidate for bed rest for the last third of my pregnancy or that I hemorrhaged during childbirth. My doctor can't share these details with anyone, why should the school know?

Marguerite

There is a lot of information about my own pregnancies I would not want shared. Add in the personal stuff about how you told family (and how they reacted - "My dear, it's your fourth, have you considered termination?") and I really do not think this is appropriate.

I think back to what I know about my own arrival (and the stuff I know and the fact that I DO know is a worry also, when you think about it). My mother thought she had reached menopause when her periods stopped. And some weight gain is normal in menopause. She already had seven kids and copped flak for it even though bigger families were more acceptable back then. But she had had to get married and so was perhaps extra sensitive to the "can't you two stop doing it?" comments from her family.

She was six months pregnant with me when she went to the doctor for a check-up. "I'm guessing it's menopause," she told him. Was horrified when told she was pregnant, told nobody. Her own parents were dead, her in-laws were still critical. Told my dad of course, and probably the eldest kids. Visited her in-laws the week before I was born, they did not realise she was pregnant and she did not tell them. I don't know what she expected. MAybe she was saying nothing in case things went wrong and she came home without a baby.

Despite all this, she did tell me that she enjoyed raising me more than the others, because I came so much later and she felt a lot more confident as a parent by then. She felt more relaxed about what to do. I did tire her out more, but she also had older kids to palm me off onto, which helped.

But if I had had to share this info with my class - not acceptable. My mother would have been horrified that we were asked.

Before you get too negative about the teacher, find out where the topic has come from. In our country, the Board of Studies sets the curriculum and teachers have to abide by it. There is some rubbish in there (such as half the Grade 8 Geography course being about "global change"). Then have a go at whoever is responsible for setting such an unteachable topic.

Go to the source.

Marg

InsaneCdn

If the ed system is anything like here... then yes, the ministry of ed sets the curirculum, and the board of ed selects the materials... but the assignments are created by the teacher. Which means... if that assignment came home here, it is directly coming from the teacher, not anyone higher up. Having to teach about pregnancy etc. - that part comes from the ministry.

I'm finding that, so often, "inappropriate" assignments come from teachers who are not comfortable with the subject themselves. Not an excuse - but does affect the approach I take in dealing with them.

mstang67chic

Going Green
In the US there is no set cirirculum for the entire country. There are things that must be taught but normally this type of thing is at the teacher's discretion.

JJJ

Here is the draft of the e-mail I am going to send...feedback???

I am speechless at the inappropriateness of the assignment "What is your story?". My first reaction was disappointment that ~in this day and age~an assignment was given that is not possible for an adopted child to complete. Then I became angry when I realized that this assignment asks for very sensitive, personal medical information about your student's mothers (or the "someone who just had a baby"). The format of the assignment makes it clear that these projects are designed for display in the room.

Many parents who cannot or will not answer your intrusive questions will simply lie or instruct their child to lie on the assignment. I do not want to teach my child to lie. I want my child to know that it isn't appropriate to discuss personal, family issues in public or to relay the personal details of our family to others at work or school. In this age of Facebook and MySpace, teaching teens the difference between public and private information is vital.

I have altered the assignment for my child. His project will compare and contrast a well-planned pregnancy with an unplanned pregnancy to see how 'the development of life'(pregnancy) can be at its best and at its worst. I expect that this will be completely acceptable.

DDD

Locally there was a similar assignment given in fifth or sixth grade. It was not detailed like yours. The children were told to write an autobiography and bring pictures to show the class as visual aids during their oral presentation. There were a number of foster children and adopted children in that grade. At that time I was a GAL and the head of HRS contacted the school and explained the inappropriate nature of the assignment. The teacher came out with a new plan pdq. I do think the assignment should be deep sixed with-o explanation by the teacher. DDD

keista

:bravo::bravo::bravo:

JJJ I think that letter is PERFECT It's so perfect you can email it to teacher, principal and board of ED. If anybody starts taking issue with you on this, certainly show them that "first draft" you had posted, but DO NOT EMAIL it!

Segway to a quick aside - We all must remember that emails between us and the school are considered public. Each state has different laws on this, so get familiar with your laws and email appropriately.

JJJ

Segway to a quick aside - We all must remember that emails between us and the school are considered public. Each state has different laws on this, so get familiar with your laws and email appropriately.

Just so no one worries about e-mail to their child's schools, communication between school employees and parents regading their children are protected under the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and are NOT available to the public in any state.

keista

Just so no one worries about e-mail to their child's schools, communication between school employees and parents regading their children are protected under the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and are NOT available to the public in any state.

Really? Thanks! I will have to investigate that and add that as a tag line to my emails since all emails from the school state the contrary. I know there are exclusions and that probably is one. I guess it's a good idea to tag it as such.

Marguerite

I am speechless at the inappropriateness of the assignment "What is your story?"

I would change the opening to a more personal expression, one less confrontational. "I was distressed on behalf of my child at the assignment criteria..." and so on. Saying you're speechless is likely a red rag to a bull, it is a "you" statement in disguise and is LESS likely to get you what you want. Your aim should be to make it easier for your child, not primarily to chastise the teacher.

Other than that - I applaud your letter and the activism that prompts you to send it.

Marg

Malika

I would change the opening to a more personal expression, one less confrontational. "I was distressed on behalf of my child at the assignment criteria..." and so on. Saying you're speechless is likely a red rag to a bull, it is a "you" statement in disguise and is LESS likely to get you what you want. Your aim should be to make it easier for your child, not primarily to chastise the teacher.

Other than that - I applaud your letter and the activism that prompts you to send it.

Marg

I agree with Marguerite on this - a less openly confrontational approach will reap better results. in my humble opinion.

H

HaoZi

Stopping in to see if any results have surfaced or if teach is still being stupid/insensitive.