Are some teachers seriously still this clueless???

buddy

This is so shocking. Even when I was getting my teaching cert. we discussed not having assignments like this. That was in the mid 80's! Then when I adopted I remember in my research different sources saying to ask at the beginning of the year and to provide an adoption friendly version of assignments (not a separate one but something that can by used by any situation). Even assignments like: all about my family- can be too intrusive to kids who are in foster care, or have ill parents or addicted family or are away in the service...you just can't predict the emotional impact of such things. After reading all of this I feel like the point that every story is private and that the idea that pregnancy/birth and creating families in any way is always full of roses seems so silly. Maybe IF it is still felt stongly that some should be able to share their story it could be an assignment where kids pick from one of several projects and if that kind of a topic works for them great but kids can pick any of the alternatives regardless.....so no one is singled out. Some of the alternatives listed here are great, esp. liked the one contrasting planned and unplanned pregnancy. Hope the result is good. We can all learn from it.

TerryJ2

JJJ, your assignment is a million times better.
Maybe the teacher is really young and thought this would be cute and fun? Like a baby shower? D*g only knows.