Are we the only place in the world with school on MLK Day?

BusynMember

We've always had school. Of course, this is a Bumpkin town, but my kids are puzzled. Both of my kids still at home are African-American. So...does anyone else have school?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Mwm,
We have only had it off for a few years now. Actually the kids have had it off longer but not the teachers. Prior to MLK day becoming a federal holiday, we always had in-service days on that Monday. When it became a holiday, they started telling the kids they had off for the holiday, of course, teachers still had their in-service day.

As a teacher it upset me and others that we were telling the kids they had off for the holiday but we were still working. They should have just told the truth, it was in-service same as always. Eventually the district started giving us off as well, I think they had heard enough complaints and our union bargained it into our contract.

On another note though, I swear we are the only district (or state because I know as a child we never had off either) that goes to school on President's Day.

TerryJ2

I think it's an individual thing.
My kids are home. They go to private school, whose admin tries to match the public school schedule as much as possible just to make things easier. :)

susiestar

Roll With It
It is up to each state or school district, depending on the state. For many years in OH husband had the day off and the kids had school, so it was "our" day. The idea behind having kids in school was so that they could learn about Martin Luther King Jr. and what he stood for. Each class had special lessons built around him at one school my kids were in.

Here in OK ALL schools are out - at least all schools that receive state funding. There is some funky law here that says schools all have to have the same calendars, though some of the colleges have different spring breaks. They have eased up on this rule due to snow days, community events, farming communities, etc (yes, we still have some communities built around farming or ranching where students are kept home to help with certain things at certain times.

But ALL schools here have this holiday, as well as the same federal holidays off.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My kids have it off in CA. And husband has it off, only because his company only closes on days the stock market is closed.

I, unfortunately, DON'T have it off, since I NEVER close. :tongue:

Lothlorien

We always had President's day off. Only certain districts, with higher population of African Americans, were off on MLK until it became a fed holiday. Our kids are still off for both holidays here.

muttmeister

All of the schools around here do have school today. They don't take off ANY of the federal holidays. But then, our schools are out for the summer in the middle of May, so most people don't object.