Are you ready for Some FOOTBALL!

DammitJanet

Tonight is opening night for the NFL!

I am so excited. :fan::cheerleader::fan:

Neither of my favorite teams play tonight but that is totally fine by me. I am rooting for the Pittsburgh Steelers over the Tennessee Titans tonight. Sorry any Titans fans, I will probably pick them at a later date! I just have the Steelers this week on my card...lol.

I play in a weekly football pool put on by a local radio show. Hope I win this year!

Anyone else a football nut like I am?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
husband is bummed because he LOOOOOOOOVES the Steelers, but he's assistant coach for easy child's soccer team and their practice is tonight. He might be able to catch the last half of the game....

GO STEELERS!!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I am a huge baseball and horseracing fan (both undersaddle and harness), but I am so out of the loop on football that I don't even know the rules.

i get very annoyed every late summer when they start up with the football training camp reporting and the college stuff...and baseball is getting ready for the playoffs.

Have a fun season, football fans and may your chosen teams win for you.

donna723

GN! Didn't know you were a fellow baseball fan! (White Sox or Cubs?) I am a baseball fan as only someone who was born and raised in St. Louis in a family of rabid Cardinal fans can be! I've been to games in all three stadiums! A friend and I snuck to our first game on a city bus when we were about six or seven! This is the first year I haven't been absolutely fixated on it because the prices on the baseball package on the satellite TV have gotten outrageous so I didn't get it this year.

Sorry Janet, but I just don't 'do' football. I don't know the rules either. And my ex had football on constantly when he was still around. All I have to do is hear that theme song and it seems like, if I turned around, I'd still see him sitting there with the remote in one hand and the beer can in the other! I can almost smell the beer fumes! :sick:

Star, I'm sorry DF has to go through another surgery. :(

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm originally from the North Side of Chicago and am a Cub's fan. I sure as heck know about the rivalry between the Cubs and the Cards, though.

Been some wild games over the years.

I can remember sneaking off early from school and catching the El down to Wrigley. You could buy bleacher tickets at the gate for a dollar and a half.\

One of the more traumatic things I saw upon first returning from Germany was the light standards above the 'green confines'. Wrigley was the last major league ballpark to put in lights and play at night. Nowadays you can't even get Cubs tickets without ordering way ahead and they are hugely expensive.

I've been to quite a few Sox games as well. husband was born in Detroit and was a Tigers' fan. We used to go to Sox park to watch the Tigers play locally.

Unfortunately, Sox fans tended to be a really rough bunch and once they built US Cellular Field, the park was just not real friendly, either from the standpoint of the fans or from access to those with disabilities.

DDD

Football season started and ended this week when MY University of Miami (unranked preseason) beat FSU in one of the most exciting games ever.
:bravo:DDD

jbrain

Hey Going North and Donna,
I'm just the opposite--I have no use for baseball so when college basketball ends I have to go through the whole summer without a sport to watch! I love football so I am excited we have started the season.

I'm not a Pittsburgh or Titans fan but what a game (what I saw of it)! My husband is holding a grudge against the Titans due to a "bad call" about 8 years ago that caused the Buffalo Bills to lose to the Titans in a playoff game (I think). So, he was cheering for the Steelers.

Happy football watching this weekend! Oh, please don't laugh too much at the Bills when they play New England Monday night--I know they will likely be slaughtered....

Jane

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've been to one football game in my life. The Bears playing the Packers in Lambeau Field.

I froze my youthful fanny o.ff and I was too young to share in what my dad had mixed in HIS thermos to help him keep warm.

I had plain tea and it may have been hot, but not hot enough.

I followed hockey back in the heyday of the Blackhawks (before they wore helmets and face masks),. and I still remember Tony Esposito, Keith Magnussen and the like. Back when you could tell a hockey player by the missing front teeth, LoL.

Mattsmom277

I have never understood football. It isn't as big here in Canada I don't think. We grew up on hockey. Even with easy child in her 5th season of hockey (starts Sunday WOOT WOOT!), even hockey here has died off.
I'm just waiting for basketball season, when difficult child will hog the t.v. day and night. Stupid mom DOH! I went and increased the sattelite package to get the basketball network. 24/7 basketball. ARGH!!!

Have fun watching the football to all you fans! I know its a big thing in the US particularly.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I used to like basketball until it seemed like the individual personalities overwhelmed the sport.

From what I hear and read there is a lot of the same going on with football here, except that seems to be a "gangster" mentality taking over...a sense of entitlement to being above the law.

With basketball we had Dennis Rodman who was just plain weird, but Kobe Bryant disgusts me.

Now we've got the 'performance enhancing' drugs scandal in baseball, too. It gets VERY old

DammitJanet

I just love football. Love it love it love it. I also ADORE Nascar. From now until November I am frantically switching the channel or praying they run NASCAR on Saturday night! Of course, they also rerun the race in the middle of the night on sunday morning so I can catch it then too.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have NEVER gotten NASCAR at all. To me it is just noisy and boring. I live in an area where NASCAR is very popular; you see a lot of logo clothing and the like.

About the only thing I know about it is the thing with Dale Earnhardt being killed and some driver now claiming that his drug tests were falsified.

I used to watch rally racing when I lived in Europe.

donna723

I never really 'got' NASCAR either, but a lot of people here are fanatical about it. My son is part of a racing team at the drag strip but he's not in to NASCAR either.

In my family, we grew up on baseball. My earliest memories are of being at my grandparents house with my grandfather listening to the Cardinals games on an old console radio - they didn't have a TV yet, and even when they got one, he listened to the games on that old radio. My uncles and aunts and grandparents talked about those 1950's Cardinals teams like they knew those guys and when I was really little I thought they did! My grandmother had someone take her to the airport to greet them coming home from road trips and she did this well into her 90's. Baseball is all strategy and playing the odds and it's only 'slow' if you don't know what's going on. If you DO understand all the ins and outs of it, there's so much going on you don't know where to look!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I had a little transistor radio with ear jack that I listened to the away games on. I can remember rushing home from school to catch the tail end of home games/doubleheaders on TV

donna723

;) I've actually taken a little radio to Busch Stadium and listened to the game being announced while watching it right in front of me! When you're used to watching the game and the play-by-play, it seems weird to actually be there and not have that commentary going on! I'd be sitting there with my cousins, all in a row, all listening to our little radios!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Huge Bears and 49ers fans here!!! Can't wait for tomorrow! I am hoping the girls will let us watch a few moments.

We are also a family of Giants and White Sox fans!
husband is a diehard South Side fan... he just about cried when they left here for spring training. The year we move here they leave!