Argh!!! Update

Nancy

Our family reunion is tomorrow in a town about 2 1/2 hours away. difficult child asked if she could ride with us so it will be husband, me, easy child, easy child's dog, and difficult child in the car back and forth. So difficult child comes over this evening and she is in the house five minutes and i remembered why she can't ever live here again. She walks in with a beer shirt on and sporting a new tatoo on her ankle, in addition to the five tatoos that I know of that she already had. Of course I opened my big mouth and asked her how she had money for a new tatoo when she called us this week for gas money. I found myself getting so irritated and falling back into the same patterns with her and was so thankful that I had my FA meeting to go to.

difficult child went line dancing with her girlfriend tonight so I have no idea what shape she will come home in. Please send good vibes that I get through tomorrow with no serious problems. I don;t know what I will do if she drinks in excess at the reunion. I need to practice all the self control I can muster.

Nancy

Last edited:
A

AmericanGirl

Nancy, please know i will be sending prayers up off and on all day for you. It is so hard to be with them in a car...cannot imagine a family reunion.

Can you take an ipod and listen to music on the road? I listened to a wonderful lecture on tape on the way there this morning. It helped so much. Ive been known to write notes of things to recenter myself...go in the bathroom and read them. Just whatever it takes to get you through. Hoping you can enjoy seeing your family.

exhausted

Nancy-I hope it goes ok. I like the idea of something in your ears! Wishing you luck and hope difficult child keeps it together.

pasajes4

Perhaps if u have family members who are from another generation, they will have a few choice words to share with her. That way she will know it is not just you.

Calamity Jane

Oh boy. It's so uncharacteristic of a difficult child to even want to go to a reunion. When our difficult child was using, he would barely make it through Christmas dinner before skulking upstairs, and he absolutely hated being around relatives who would ask him what he was up to.

Heck yeah for the I-Pod. I hope you can have some fun with your family. Wishing you a peaceful day!

Kathy813

Staff member
Nancy, I just saw this. I have had a busy first week of school.

I will keep my fingers crossed that the reunion goes well.

~Kathy

Nancy

True to form difficult child never came home Friday night. At 3:30 I woke to go to the bathroom and she was not home so I texted and asked when she would be home. She texted back at 4:20 saying she was sleeping over her friend's. Now she knew we were leaving around 10 that morning so once again her fun trumped any responsibility she had. At 9 am she came home, showered, changed her clothes and we left. The drive down was fine, we talked mostly to easy child, difficult child slept most of the way and we did not bring any topic up that would cause a fight. The reunion went well. She drank beer and wine but I didn't count how many and frankly didn't pay too much attention. She was appropriate and not out of control and interacted with her aunt and uncles and cousins in a friendly manner. We left for home around 8:30 and the ride back was pleasant. easy child loves to talk so she kept the ride friendly. difficult child left for her apartment shortly after we got back.

A

AmericanGirl

Nancy,

Thankful that the day was uneventful. Too bad the night before wasn't the same. Hope you are having a quiet Sunday!

Calamity Jane

I'm so glad no major snafus. Good for easy child keeping the conversation going...I love people who do that to lighten the mood. Now you can exhale and watch the Olympics closing ceremonies.

Kathy813

Staff member
Phew/whew . . .considering we are talking about a difficult child, I think it went as well as could be expected.

Ephchap

Phew/whew, Nany. Glad she showed up and didn't cause any scenes and that it went well. I'm sure you were very unsure about her going, so I'm glad it all worked out.

Hugs,
Deb