Arizone & Me

Steely

Hey guys

I think it would take me forever to tell you all that has gone on in the last 3 weeks. It is unbelievable the drama, discovery & transformation, that has happened in such a short time.

Moving from Dallas was unlike any other event I have experienced. The core emotions that enveloped me in Dallas seemed to metaphorically manifest themselves physically as I was leaving the state of Texas.

No one seems to really knows what happened - but the guess is - is that I had transient spastic quadraparesis induced by hyperventilation, induced by low potassium. I found this description of what happened on the internet and the they describe it better than I could have. The following is an exact description of me when the paramedics found me, and I was careflighted from the side of the freeway to a local hospital. Thankfully my mom and dad were there, because I would not have been able to call 911.

The patient was found lying supine with both arms and legs extended, and both wrists in extreme flexion (carpopedal spasm), looking upwards and breathing vigorously. The patient had experienced sudden spastic paresis involving both upper and lower extremities, with loss of passive ability to straighten her upper extremities, and a high muscle tone.

I truly thought I was dying. It was the scariest thing I have ever gone through. I was completely paralyzed, yet conscious, throwing up, and hyperventilating.

Unfortunately, once I stabilized, the ER doctors seemed uninterested in finding the root cause of what happened so I am still not sure what the diagnosis is - and obviously I still have to go the Dr here in Az. However, I am better, and the entire episode made me look at life completely different.

I have been here 10 days, and I love every inch of Arizona. It is absolutely the best decision I have ever made in my life. The beauty is breathtaking. The people are wonderful. I have made more friends here in one week, than I did in a year in Dallas. Driving home at night is now the best part of the day because I can look at the amazing mountains, lake, and terrain. It is breathtakingly peaceful.

The job is great, but, very intense. I know I will like it, but it is pretty all consuming right now.

I am in a whole new arena of life now. Both my job and this small town culture demand I become social. I have most of my days and nights booked it seems. It truly is forcing me out of my isolative shell, and causing me to be whole.

Matthew is struggling a bit - as his dad did some really, really crummy things to him during these last 3 weeks - and he just seems to still be so mentally conflicted. My heart still hearts so much for him.

I was thinking about all of you today, and missing you. I feel so weird not being on the board for days on end. I think I will find a rhythym and a groove to this new lifestyle - and hopefully be able to weave in time for me. I miss writing, you guys, and walking my dogs every night (they are going bonkers with mom being gone so much) - but I know it is temporary.

My mid life crisis is unfolding.......but it is good.:peaceful:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
How very frightening that medical incident must have been! Thank goodness you were not alone when it happened!

I am so happy to hear you are enjoying your new home and community so much! It sounds like this was a very good move for you :D

busywend

Wahoo!!!!! I am happy for you starting this new chapter.

Scary stuff what happened to you medically. I hope nothing serious.

nvts

Hey Steely! It's great to see things are rolling out the way you wanted them to (actually, it sounds better than you expected!).

If you did have low potassium, that pretty much corrects the symptoms as soon as potassium is introduced to your system. The ER wouldn't be able (takes time) to figure out why it bottomed out - that would be your regular doctor. Honestly, it sometimes happens when your electrolytes go out of whack, so it could be that you hadn't eaten properly in the rush of getting ready to go! Hmmmm. Steely forgetting to eat properly while chasing around like a mad woman?!! Naaaaahh, couldn't be! ;)

I'm jealous by the way - I'd love to bug out of this place if I could!

Keep checking in - we've missed you, but it was great to see why you've been away!

Beth

Andy

Oh Steely - so cool (now that it is over - wish it didn't have to be so scary and life threatening) - it is like all your pent up negativeness inside you over the terrible ordeals you have faced these past few years just left your body. The release of tension left you almost lifeless because you were wound up so tight. As you gave up those feelings and made a determination to face the future head on in an effort to start anew, it was the largest burden lifted and your body was literly released from the negative hold you were in.

I think it is good that for the moment your work is intense because you have lived in intense mode for so long you really need something just a little longer for your body and mind to focus on. I think you would be too bored if life was completly easy at this point. Put your work energy into you job and leave that at work. Relax at home and enjoy your new life.

I hope as you find your new niche in life filled with peace and fun times, Matthew will also be able to find peace and strength. You can be an example to him that no matter how hard, changing your life is possible.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Steely I am so happy for you. :D

Now get thee to a doctor and find out what happened to you. Have them check out your kidneys while they're trying to find the cause.

((hugs))

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Glad you have potassium under control..... Arizona has some of the clearest skies.... get a telescope for star gazing....... I am envious of your surroundings..... the only thing I would miss there is a body of water......... I'm a lake person......... glad to hear you are making friends and "fitting" in......

Star*

call 911........call 911
Potassium deficiency is NOTHING to ignore. Please make sure you do a follow up dr. visit very very soon. Once you start taking something like Klorcon you have GOT to be monitored for adrenal failure etc. So please make sure you get to the followup appts.

Sounds like you're are a real social butterfly. And an example for the rest of us who fear moving - (self included)

You're story (except for the writhing on the roadside and helicopter thing) is very inspirational and I'm trying to follow in your footsteps.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yes, no more roadside writhing!

Welcome to the land of the huge clear skies!
They announce events in the skies almost weekly! From Stars* to planets to Satellites!
Nice that you are by water!
That is one of the things I love about this area, we have lots of creeks and small rivers during many times of the year.
Not to mention the Arroyos during the Monsoons!

I am glad you are adjusting!
I have found even down here that AZ seems to have some of the friendliest people I have ever met!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Yes, no more roadside writhing!

Ditto! I don't think all of our neighbors have recovered from all the nekkid liver dances from when Janet took her little "vacation". I don't know about anyone else but I like most of my neighbors and don't really want to traumatize them further.

You don't know how glad I am to hear that you love it out there. I will confess....there was a teensy part of me that wondered if you would like it. BUT, for the most part I thought it was the best thing you could have done for yourself. It's great to know I'm right now and then! LOL Really, I'm so happy for you! I know things aren't "fixed" with your son but he sounds like he's doing much better even with the sperm donor issues. (Poor kid....give him a hug from us) This is now YOUR time and YOUR life to live. There's a song that I like and one of the lines is: Life's your cup, drink it up my friend.

:wine: :wine: :wine: :wine:

Last edited:

everywoman

Steely, I continue to be in awe of you---You are my new hero. You have faced so much in the past few years---and now, a new beginning for you----You will blossom---and I can't wait for the transformation to unfold.

Steely

You guys are the best. I have missed all of your encouragement.:D

doctors are hard to come by out here in my little town of 4K, and I am working so much, I have not had time to make an appointment with the one that is here. But I will, I promise. I got their number today. Thanks to all of you for caring so much. Andy, your analogy, in retrospect is exactly how I see it. The unfortunate part is that it was real, and now I need to see a Dr. Oh well. It makes great writing material. I agree with you - that if my job was not intense - I might fall off a mental cliff with shock at the serenity in my life.

I hope to find my balance soon, and visit the board more regularly. (And cure my dogs of their anxiety induced diarreah that is destroying my new carpet:mad:).
Love you guys
Steely

Star*

call 911........call 911
The diarrahea could be from changing the water or food or both? But definitely the water -

For a while - sit their water in pans and let it set overnight - or better yet boil it.

PACKED PUMPKIN and Kaopectate (weight guide is per lb from vet) will help with the runs. Also - leave a radio or tv on for them during the day. They won't be so lonely and will hear some noise.
(My big dog likes the western channel or ANimal Planet)

In the mean time - boil some hamburger and skim it from the top of the water and then put some rice in. Their tummies are torn up - and hamburger and rice (BOILED ONLY) with Kaopectate will help a LOT to calm down the lining of their tummies.

Also - Kmart sells this GREAT stuff for carpets to get rid of the smell of dog stuff - it's in the pet section and OMG I'm not sure that it doesn't smell nearly as bad as the mess - but it takes the SMELL for future scent spots out of the fibers.....The dogs and cat on the package are holding their nose.
I think REsolve makes a pet odor remover too.

Sorry for their tummies and your scrubbies.

Hugs
STar

You guys are the best. I have missed all of your encouragement.:D

doctors are hard to come by out here in my little town of 4K, and I am working so much, I have not had time to make an appointment with the one that is here. But I will, I promise. I got their number today. Thanks to all of you for caring so much. Andy, your analogy, in retrospect is exactly how I see it. The unfortunate part is that it was real, and now I need to see a Dr. Oh well. It makes great writing material. I agree with you - that if my job was not intense - I might fall off a mental cliff with shock at the serenity in my life.

I hope to find my balance soon, and visit the board more regularly. (And cure my dogs of their anxiety induced diarreah that is destroying my new carpet:mad:).
Love you guys
Steely