Arrgh. There's always one teacher, one class that is a pain ...

TerryJ2

After posting my notes about Spanish class, I thought I'd just cut and paste the latest. Not much I can do from this distance, but I will definitely tackle it next week.

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:32 PM
To: D J
Subject: Re: C and Spanish Class

Dear Ms. J,
I am sorry that difficult child did not stay after with you yesterday. I am out of town
but understand that he did do some Spanish homework. I hope he turned it in. If
you can check what he has done and what he has remaining, I can make sure he
does the rest of the work so he can catch up.
I will also encourage him to copy your notes from the board.
All the best,
Terry

Dear Ms. Terry,
difficult child did't bring the homework , and he only want to talk yesterday. I would
appreciate that you have a conversation with him about this matter, and he have
a succesfull spanish year.
All my best,
D J

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Err.... Clearly this lady did not pay attention in her ESL classes...

Obviously, the message is NOT.GETTING.THROUGH. to her.

keista

Request an interpreter when you get to conference with her?

Yes, Terry, I find that there is always at least one, isn't there? We haven't had a single semester since middle school where there wasn't at least one "standout"

TerryJ2

Sigh. Last yr it was the math teaher.
Yr b4 that ... same math teacher. :(
Yr b4 that, assistant pricipal.
Yr b4 that, science and computer.

Still, looking on the bright side, that means that all of the other teachers were either not a problem or even outstanding. I'm trying to be positive ...

InsaneCdn

If you have a student with special needs, and the teacher is not fluent in english, then the school needs to provide a third-party who can deal with both sides and avoid communication problems.
JMO, of course, but... seriously? shouldn't be allowed to teach anything in US/Can without fluency in English (except Quebec, where equiv. is French).

TerryJ2

According to the counselor, he's got a 504 for assistance, but he does not have an IEP, nor does he have a learning disability.

All I can do is meet with-the teacher in person next wk. I hope my Spanish holds up because she's not going to understand the concept in English.

buddy

According to the counselor, he's got a 504 for assistanceQUOTE]

Just curious, what is in the 504 plan for accomodations? My sisters are both doing 504 plans for their kids this year one for adhd and one for extreme anxiety. They are putting goals and methods for organization (someone specific taking 5-10 minutes to help him organize his assignments, planner and group the papers that need to be handed in and tag them per class so he knows what to give the teacher every single day. They are also having him have a check list to show he accomplished it. The other kiddo has a modification requiring private space and extra time for testing. I love sharing ideas for this, I always get new ones from other people that I like to use in our IEP's.

Dont know if this would apply or if you have already tried it, but I have had some students have a secret cue ( a secret word or something non-verbal --- of course it usually is not completely a secret but at least it tries to minimize attention or embarassment for the student) like a blank post-it that sits on their desk and is casually touched by the teacher while walking through all of the students as a reminder that they are talking out of turn (of course this is all explained and practiced in private) there lots of options I am sure many people here have ideas.

Anyway, with this teacher certainly sounds like there are bigger road blocks, and that whole concept regarding his not fully being able to follow the hidden/social communication rules in classes and needing additional support for organization may be next to impossible to explain to her, but if he can switch teachers or to help if this happens in other classes??? well...she is gonna have to at least understand that she must follow the 504 plan. Can be exhausting sometimes. Poor kid, and poor you!

Last edited:
L

Liahona

Of course there are those people who won't listen no matter what language. You'll not know if she is one of them until you get past the lang. barrier.

Even if he doesn't have an IEP it would be good to ask for an interrupter. Unless your Spanish is excellent. I know some schools try to provide one to other non-IEP situations as well.

TerryJ2

I love the secret Post-it note idea!
I want to sit in on the class and see how she operates. I asked the counselor and she directed me to the teacher, so it's between the teacher and me. I'll figure it all out next wk.

susiestar

Roll With It
I had HUGE problems in college from grad assistants who taught labs and lower level classes and didn't speak English. I didn't think ANY school would hire someone who couldn't speak English to teach in elem, middle, jr high or high schools. Is this a private school or public? There are SO MANY teachers needing work right now that they sure as sugar had other options. Why on EARTH would they hire someone who couldn't speak English to teach to English speaking students?

in my opinion the board of ed needs to hear about this. Maybe have a tape recorder with you in your bag to record her - if the principal can do the lesson then you won't go over his head to protest this person??

It is not personal, it is a matter of basic qualifications - and this woman does NOT seem to have them. That type of thing made me crazy as a student, and as a parent I fight it when I can. Move my kid out of the class when I can't.

"Class changes are not allowed" is a rule I do not recognize. It has been tried, and has failed, with each of my kids at least once. Just because they make it a policy or rule does NOT mean you must accept it, in my opinion.

susiestar

Roll With It
You have EVERY right to know what this teacher scored on her TOEFL (test of english as a foreign language). In my state every teacher/grad assistant/instructor/professor must take and have a certain score on teh TOEFL before they can enter a classroom. Several times husband has been tapped last minute because a grad student was to teach a class and they discovered that teh TOEFL scores were too low or were faked. Students from certain countries seem to often get others to take their tests so the score is high enough, but when they cannot pass a basic conversation with the profs here it is easy to spot. Then they have to scramble to find someone to teach the class. It has also happened at our public schools, though husband only teaches at the university.

Ask the principal to show you her TOEFL scores if you can't understand her. If she hasn't taken it, ask why they hired her when she clearly cannot communicate in a basic conversation in English.

Malika

The teacher obviously speaks English (judging from her email) though not perfectly. You say you have difficulty understanding her, Terry - is this because of her pronunciation/accent?