Arrrrgggggg! This holiday kills me

Lothlorien

Within 5 minutes upon her return from school, Missy was falling apart. First, her sandwich wasn't right, then her nose was irritating her, then she couldn't sit right because her costume wasn't right....simply falling apart.

I took her upstairs, got her out of her costume and rubbed her back for a while. She came down and layed on the couch for a while. I was hoping she'd fall asleep, until the early candy hunters hit and rang the darn bell. I knew I should have put a sign on the door to come back later. Now, she is bouncing off the walls, beyond hyper.

I went to school, this morning, for her party. The teacher had mostly healthy snacks. There were only a few things there she couldn't have, but I told the teacher what it was. Missy swears she didn't have anything she wasn't supposed too, but she's acting like she does when she has corn syrup. Ugh!

susiestar

Roll With It
So sorry. I was the ONLY parent who showed up for the party for thank you's class. I brought little cups of orange jello with pumpkin faces drawn on them. For thank you, who can't have anything orange, there was the icky blue raspberry. There is another student who is diabetic, so I brought some sugar-free (which NONE of us can eat - allergies to the sweeteners) for him. The diabetic child wasn't there, but I try to be ready for every diet issue. Jsut because I KNOW what it is like.

So sorry she is having a hard time. Corn Syrup is a difficult allergy to manage. Does she just act wild, or does she get respirratory problems? We end up with the rashes and respiratory stuff, as well as the wild behaviors.

FUN all around, isn't it?? NOT!!!

Hugs for the mommy!

Susie

Lothlorien

She is just miserable. We went trick or treating, which just wiped the both of them out, but only on my street. They are both in bed before 7:30. They were both just falling apart at the seems. Mighty Mouse didn't take a nap, even though I put him upstairs for a while. He was playing in her room, instead.

I have a feeling that I will be keeping her home from school next year. I hate to do that, but after today, we'll all just be better off. This was just a horrible day. I'm exhausted. I think I'm gonna have a glass of wine and go to bed.

Susie, no she doesn't get rashes, although she keeps complaining about her nose being itchy today. Same thing happened last week, but I don't think she had any corn syrup at the time. She was extremely irritable and the nose thing started. It just seems to me that the nose thing may just be a sensory thing, because if she's distracted, it stops bothering her.

SRL

I'm sorry, Loth. I feel your pain: this was my life every holiday or class party day from the time difficult child was 4 until it started easing around 3rd grade. As sorry as it sounds, I used to just plan for the meltdown and gave difficult child as much space as possible on either side. The break in routine and all the extra heavy duty sensory overload was waaaayyy too much. It's a lot better now.

I recommend a hot bath to go with that glass of wine. Take care.

Lothlorien

It didn't end after we put her to bed, it just continued. She was just miserable. I ended up giving her some warm chammomile tea and some Melatonin, so she could sleep. Poor kid. She was such a mess. Everything bothered her. She was up until about 9. I never did get that glass of wine.....sigh.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm sorry for Missy's and your rough day. Doesn't sound like any fun at all. I wouldn't blame you if you kept her home next year. Hugs.

Janna

I hated school parties when the kids were younger. You should be thankful the teacher had mostly healthy treats around. When we lived in the city, all the kids had was candy, chips, soda. Ugh, I hated those parties when the kids were smaller. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I feel your pain, my friend. Sorry she had such a time. The holidays are just hard when they're little.

Hope today is better. I owe you a call - I may do that this weekend.

xoxoxoxoxox
J

busywend

I am so sorry your Missy had such a rough time of it yesterday. It is sad, I know. You watch so many kids just take it in stride and truly enjoy it. I never was able to have my difficult child just go with the flow either.

I hope today everyone settles back into the routine quickly. And one never knows what a year can do - so do not worry about next year just yet.

HUGS!

Stella Johnson

Sorry it was such a tough day. I don't think there is a candy made today that doesn't have corn syrup. Staying home next year sounds like a good idea.
Our schools arent allowed to have halloween parties here. It's no longer politically correct. :slap:

Steph

Lothlorien

Her eyes were puffy this morning. She didn't want to go to school. I'm glad I didn't have to put my neighbors kids on the bus, this morning. She was able to sleep in a little and stay rather calm this morning. I'm half expecting a call from school nurse today. If she calls, I will pick her up today. Normally, I wouldn't unless she was sick, but I will today, since she had such a bad day yesterday. I feel so bad for her today and last night.

Adrift

The tough part is that everyone ELSE looks like they're having a great time and we're all agnonizing about when the meltdown will occur! My difficult child decided not to trick or treat this year and boy was I thankful for that!