Article on a local celeb who face clinical depression/medications despite personal success.

S

Signorina

I thought it fit in nicely with our conversation regarding medication. She is trying to help remove some of the stigma associated with depression - especially the idea of "you have it all - you should be happy" A few interesting quotes in case you don't have time to read the whole thing:

...She knows that much of this stigma stems from ignorance about depression, and helping dispel that is part of her motivation now.“People say, ‘Well, why don’t you just feel better?’ Well, if it was that easy, I’d be a millionaire. I’d wave my magic wand, and you’d just feel better. That’s just not how it is.”...

...Once, she even tried going off the antidepressants again. Maybe the therapy and comfortable environment were enough. “The last thing you want is to be on medicine your whole life,” she says. But within two weeks, she knew it was the wrong decision. She was more emotional, feeling like she’d lost some control, and she didn’t hesitate to start the medications again. “Maybe,” she says plainly, “I’m just a person who needs to be on medication for the rest of my life.”