as irritated as I am with Cory..courts difficult child too

DammitJanet

I went down to the courthouse today to see what is going on with all these cases. I am so darned confused as to what is what. There is no way on earth you can steal enough gas in a car to make it a felony. Not that I can figure out at least.

Here are his charges.

$3000-sec- larceny motor fuel/court today
$1000-sec forgery
$1000-sec-larceny motor fuel/
$1000-sec- driving license rev/ seatbelt- court today

Ok they bound over his charges today till May something to get a lawyer. Now why one of the motor fuel charges is higher bond than the other who knows. Also...the one today is bogus because he has already been tried for it back in march. He is on probation for that charge. I heard the charge read in court today and the amount and I was there in march when he plead guilty to that charge.

Now...another thing...I heard the judge say today that all the charges he was in court today for where UNSECURED! HUH? So why does the jail say all these are secured? The jail said that the blue sheet they got from the courthouse said they were still secured and I have to call back to the courthouse. Ok did that. Cant get up with anyone cause they are still in court. UGH. If they unsecure him for these it means he is only on a 2000 secured.

I just dont understand any of this.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Janet, happily I don't understand most of the jargon...but I wanted to send you a hug.

Suz

DammitJanet

Im trying...

But they tell me to call back at lunch. When I ask them when lunch is? Well they arent sure!!!!!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DammitJanet

I finally got up with the court clerk.

At 3!

She said the judge signed off as unsecured.

When I said that the jail said that they still had them as secured on the back of the blue sheet she said well then I would have to get up with the judge and she transferred me to the district court. Ok...fine.

Talk to someone there only to be told that this particular judge wont be back till wednesday. Oh joy.

Now mind you, I have had dealings with this judge in the past. He is not the brightest bulb in the bunch. I whipped his hiney in court representing myself in a traffic case...accident...against someone who had him as a lawyer. He is a few fries short of a happy meal I think. How he ever made judge I dont know. Obviously we dont have much to choose from here.

hearthope

:rofl:Janet I am sorry you are dealing with dimwits ~~ but thank you for the laughs!!!

A few fries short of a happy meal

:rofl: :rofl:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Well, I can spell secured and unsecured and I know what they mean from a banking perspective...but have no clue what they mean in a court situation.

Explain, please.

Suz

DammitJanet

There are four ways to make bail:
cash,
a secured bail bond,
an unsecured bail bond,
signature or own recognizance (OR).

An unsecured (surety) bail bond is where a defendant signs a bond stating their promise to appear before the court. If they fail to do so, they promise to later pay the court an agreed upon bail bond amount. An unsecured bail doesn't require that the money be offered up front. In some cases, a defendant signs a bond agreeing to appear in court on his/her "own recognizance" An "OR" bond does not require that collateral be posted or promised. An OR bail bond is ordered in only very rare circumstances.

A secured (property) bail bond requires that the defendant come up with security, such as the title to property, equal in worth to the amount of the bail bond.

A cash bail bond is the total amount of the bail offered to the court in cash.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet

All I can say is that it seems you're dealing with the "normal" intelligence level around here. Therefore, I wish you much luck.

The Happy Meal remark liked to kill me by the way :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

((hugs))

donna723

Janet, are you SURE that you don't live in the same town I do? It sure does sound familiar! There is nothing quite like rural judicial systems! They're not exactly "models of efficiency"!
:rofl:
Our court house looks just like the one in "To Kill A Mockingbird", complete with balcony! The cases drag through so slowly, there are some that go on for years and some cases are re-tried 3 and 4 times ... and then they wonder why the jail is perpetually over-budget! It's funny now (but it wasn't at the time!) that when I was going through my divorce, my attorney called them because he wanted to fax some paperwork in to the courthouse and he was told that they didn't HAVE a fax machine! :crazy:

I've been on the jury panel twice in the last few years, the pool of people that they pick jurors from. It's always amusing to see the "big city" lawyers questioning potential jurors, and then watch their faces when they start to realize that pretty much EVERYBODY in the entire county is either related to and/or knows everybody else! Or they work with them. Or they went to school with their mama ... :cool: :smile: :frown: :crazy: :smirk: :grin: :wink: :whistle:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been on the jury panel twice in the last few years, the pool of people that they pick jurors from. It's always amusing to see the "big city" lawyers questioning potential jurors, and then watch their faces when they start to realize that pretty much EVERYBODY in the entire county is either related to and/or knows everybody else! Or they work with them. Or they went to school with their mama ... </div></div>

Our town is the same way. We're only now beginning to grow enough that maybe, if you're lucky, someone just might not know you or heard of you. But I wouldn't count on it. :rofl:

donna723

Daisy, around here if you DON'T know them (and nobody went to school with their mama!) that means they are "new people", most certainly not to be trusted and probably up to no good!

Ours is so little that they only recently installed an elevator in the courthouse, and then it was because they were forced to by federal law! The last jury selection I was in on went on all day - they had to delay starting up again after a recess because the one-holer ladies room in the basement had a line waiting that went all the way down the hall! They finally ran the last few stragglers out of the mens room and let part of the women use that one!

And where else could you see something like this ... one of the town drunks on trial for first degree murder (drunks and shotguns don't mix!) He has pleaded "Not Guilty". And just as his trial is about to start, the courtroom full of people, the jury finally seated, he gets up out of his chair, ambles over to the prosecutions side, leans over the railing, and in a voice loud enough to be heard way up in the balcony, he says to the VICTIMS MOTHER, "M'am, I sure am sorry that I shot your boy!" Can you spell m-i-s-t-r-i-a-l?

:rofl:

DammitJanet

Donna...lol.

I swear we live in the same town!

Ok we may be just a tad bit different. Here we dont have just the town drunks but we have the indians and the firewater. That is a combo that is deadly! I dont suppose anyone remembers when a couple of our local brain dead heros decided to take the newspaper building hostage? They thought it would further the plight of the Lumbee Indian...lmao. Uhhhh NOT! They just ended up in prison for years. Then we also hold the fame of having the teens who killed Micheal Jordans father. Those were bright boys too. Lets kill a man and ride all over town in his bright red lexus and make calls on his cellphone just so everyone can track us!

I dont know...I still am trying to figure all this out. I am getting real tired of dealing with it though. I dont know all the charges and cases Cory has out hanging against him. I wish I did because I have a feeling there may be more stuff looming that I dont know about. Right now Im only hearing about what he is in jail charged with right now. I dont know about what he has due in court already and I know that there are cases due to come up.

I have a sneaky suspicion he is about to take a really hard fall.

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #006600"> janet, has he asked for/been assigned a public defender yet??

YOU & husband aren't going to get involved with-bailing him out are you? truthfully tho i know it's hard to detach i wouldn't put any effort into finding out what the carges are/type of bail/etc. he's a big boy who did big boy crimes.

how about you? have you sought assistance from victims unit? gotten that order of protection???

kris
</span> </span> </span>

everywoman

Janet, my friend is time to detach. Cory is a big boy. He can handle this himself. Mine got out last week on a PR (Personal Recognition) Bond. The entire time he was there (23 days) I did not talk to him, go see him, or call anyone to help him. husband did communicate. Finally, when husband's dad died, I called a friend in the solicitor's office and told her that I could not go back on my word to difficult child to never bond him out again, that he needed a PR bond because he had nothing to secure it. She called and got the ball rolling. He was out the next day and was able to attend his grandfather's funeral. If not for the death, he would still be there. Today's his birthday. He has to be in court to face the judge. He will be there alone. As long as we are willing to hold their hands, they will continue to act like children. It's time for Tripp and Cory to become men!

Sunlight

janet, I share your frustration and general aggravation at the courts in three counties here. all close for an hour or so every day. some have people who dont know where to have you turn, one has only one person collect all fines. she always has an answering machine on that tells you off, scolds you and tells you not to leave a message because she is not returning your call! I am NOT kidding!!!