As we approach Mother's Day......................

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
As we approach Mother's Day, I want to remind all the "mom's" here that regardless of the pain and chaos our difficult children have caused, we are not defined by that. We are so much more. I want each one of you to know how wonderfully awesome you are!! We are warriors, we will forge ahead and never give up. Live your lives to fullest and do things that bring you joy.
:flowers:
mom day.jpg

Lil

Thanks you for posting this. I must admit, I'm having a lot of trouble with the upcoming holiday this year. I haven't had a good one in years, but this one coincides with my son once again (probably) losing his place to live the day before...so I expect crying and screaming and "Woe is me" instead of "Happy Mother's Day".

pigless in VA

Thank you, Tanya. Ferb asked me last night what I wanted for Mother's Day. I answered, "respect."

:mothers_day: to the amazing, beautiful mothers here at the CD board.

bluebell

I love that pigless! Yep, it's tough. My mom died in my 20's and Mother's Day has always been about my mother in law. Last few years since my son has started this madness, I've demanded we celebrate with her on the Saturday before. I would just rather it be any other Sunday. I just can't deal with it, but I don't have a good relationship with my mother in law (long story). My daughter is there for me and that has to be enough. Happy Mother's Day to you all!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Thanks Tanya. MD is usually pretty tough for me, but this year, I feel ok so far. Neither of my girls has mentioned it to me, but it's not bothering me for once. This past year has been so full of family trauma I''d just as soon have it be just another Sunday for myself.

Of course, when the day comes, I may feel differently. We shall see.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Happy Mother's Day to all! I will be missing my youngest son who is in rehab (again) so won't see him but I will be with my other son and girlfriend and hubby for a nice dinner. Praying that one Mother's Day soon we can all be together and my son will win this fight against this demon!
:gifts::moms_day:

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Mother's Day is a day of reflection for me. My mom has been gone 19 years and I still miss her so much. I think back to one of the last conversations I had with her, she and my dad were traveling and she called to wish me a happy birthday only it wasn't a happy one. My son who was 16 at the time was on the run again. He was in a court ordered group home and he ran away. I shared this information with my mom and her response was "do you think he'll try to make it to our town and break into our house?"
Not a memory I cherish at all but it's there. While I am reminded of it, I do not dwell on it as it serves no good purpose. I move on to happier memories of my mom and feel her love in my spirit.
I reflect on the fact that I have only one child. I cherish that I was able to feel him grow inside of me and am reminded of the women who long for that feeling but will never know it because they cannot bear children. I was blessed to give birth to a beautiful healthy baby. I cherish those early memories.

Then there's my son. I honestly cannot remember the last time he wished me a happy mother's day. This year will be no different as he's in jail.

It's easy to find ourselves focusing on the bad memories, it's a choice and an effort to focus on the good ones. I choose to focus on the fact that I did the best job I could as a mom. I remind myself that my son's life choices are his alone and I will not allow them to reflect on me.

I will spend my day planting flowers in the pots I have on my patio. The weather here is supposed to be fantastic so I will embrace the warmth of the sun on my face. I will listen to the birds singing their spring songs. I will choose to be happy on this mother's day. :)

bluebell

Lil and Tanya,
I miss my momma too. 20 years ago this past March. My baby boy was 7 months old, and her death was after an intense 2 month 'battle' with cancer. I always wonder if my grief has somehow affected his mental health. I did my best. I will be thinking of us all here on Mother's Day.