ASAP ham advice

Abbey

Spork Queen
I've never cooked a ham, but found a good recipie. I actually hate the stuff but have a huge one in the fridge. What sides go with ham? In laws are coming over for dinner...sheesh.

Be quick, my fellow board members. (No sweet potatoes, either.)

Abbey

klmno

Just about anything goes with ham- I was going to say sweet potatoes but since they are out, corn or corn casserole, (mac & cheese as a second option), baked beans, peas or green beans, dinner rolls are good.

DDD

I agree with Klmno. One BIG thing to remember is to cook the ham for a long time. Double check the instructions and then put a meat thermometer into the sucker. Good luck. Fresh (have you tried Steamers in the store freezer?)
green beans are great or fresh asparagus (toss in olive oil, lay on a sheet of aluminum foil with s & p and bake til fork tender). Rolls and applesauce are
always added with ham around here. :D DDD

Andy

If you can get a package of Rice A Roni that would be good (we like Broccoli Augraten but there are many flavors).

Ham
Corn (mix one can whole and one can cream for a twist)
Rice A Roni
Dinner Rolls
Lettuce salad (or buy the ceaser salad kit)
Apple Sauce
Strawberries on Angel Food cake (don't forget the whipped cream topping)
(or get those individual shortcakes to put the strawberries on)

DammitJanet

The greenbean casserole is good. Baked apples is also good. (they sell these in a can if pressed for time)

Any kind of potatoes but au gratin is really good. Or potato salad.

Always my favorite...brussel sprouts with bacon and onions.

SRL

If you take the ham out of the fridge and leave it on the counter in the roasting pan for an hour prior to cooking it will go faster. I did an 18 pound ham and it took 4 hours at 325-350 for Easter. Fully cooked hams should go to 140 degrees on a meat thermometer--all others to 160 degrees. When you check the meat thermometer make sure it doesn't hit the bone as temps will be lower there.

I think cornbread goes perfect with ham. Also I second the cheesy or scalloped potatoes, applesauce, and green beans.

klmno

Get a store bought pacakge of cheese fondue and just heat it on a pot on the stove to pour a little over ham slices and some vegies (if you do asparagus for instance), if you want a little added variety from the usual.

I forgot about potato salad- that's very good with ham!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm going in. Steamers are great, which is what I got. Salad, bread, bottle of wine...no meat thermometer, though. I'll just let it bake a little longer.

In-laws just got back to town after being gone for over a month. mother in law calls...can we do dinner? ok. Wing it time. Now I just have to clean my house on top of that.

Abbey

Andy

Oh yes! The pineapple - SRL, I wish you were avaible this year. I completely forgot about the pineapple and it is my all time favorite - I can eat that and leave the ham.

donna723

I always do au gratin potatoes with ham. They just seem to go together. And green beans ... fresh if you can get them. I always put a tiny bit of chopped onion in with the beans while they cook and a little of the ham drippings for more flavor.

If you use pineapple on it and want a glaze on the ham, just mix some of the pineapple juice with some brown sugar, and maybe a little squirt of mustard.

Andy

And Abbey had to think of the wine all by herself! What were the rest of us thinking? She distracted us with ham and went for the wine!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Alright...you guys. Ham is in the oven with fresh pineapple and molasses and lemon-lime soda. Don't really get that, but I put it in there. This is from a non-meat eater, you realize. House is clean, well everything is hidden. That's good enough for me. Wish me luck.

Abbey

DammitJanet

Abbey mentioned ham and I went to my grocery store and they had ham slices on sale! I got about 6 packs of them for about a buck and a quarter a piece!!!! Looks like I am having some major ham meals the next few weeks. Ham and limas, ham and eggs, ham and scalloped apples, etc.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
mmmm pinapple custard casserole

6-8 slices white bread, crust trimmed off cut into small squares, 1 large can crushed pinapple (not drained), 3 eggs beaten, 1/2 cup sugar (if pinapple is in unsweetened juice)

mix together eggs, sugar and pinapple wth juice, toss in bread and coat, spread mixture on the bottom of a casserole dish, bake at 375 for about 20-30 minutes or until brown and bubbly. enjoy yummmmmmmmmmmmm