Asked school to test: any opinions

K

Kjs

We had an IEP meeting about 10 days ago, then it was continued to the following Monday. Both days I asked about FBA, and Multidisciplinary testing. He had this two years ago in elementary school, this is his second year at middle school. So, New school, new schedules, new teachers...
I asked for FBA and principal said "we only do those every 3 years". I told her minimum three years or parental request. No comment. Asked again on the second day, same response. Sent email to Special Education teacher, she said she would forward it to the "social worker" The following is her response:

"We can do it earlier if the team feels a need. I wasn't sure if that was what you were looking for. I spoke to Jill (school psychologist) and she is going to be out on Family Medical Leave, so is not sure if she will be able to open Alex for his 3 year testing early. Would you be ok with Mary or I doing some testing? The Woodcock Johnson is a test that psychologists frequently use to test where a child is at academically. Would like that process to start?

Also, I found out that Alex scored Proficient/Advanced in both Reading and Math on the WKCE test. : )"

The reference to her or Mary, Mary is the Special Education teacher.
reference to WKCE is the Wisconsin state tests. (he also advanced a grade in earlier years)

I wrote back and told her if the school psychologist is going to be on FMLA, they will have to have someone to replace her.

Typed up the letter to mail, but at the IEP they said they would get this going right away, so no need to mail it.

He has handled his outbursts pretty well, most issues now are non-compliance. Refusal to sit in his seat, refusal to do work, refusal to get dressed for Gym. But, you never know at what moment he is going to lose control.

Sheila

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wasn't sure if that was what you were looking for. </div></div>

What you are looking for is a full re-evaluation in compliance with IDEA 2004 regs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typed up the letter to mail, but at the IEP they said they would get this going right away, so no need to mail it. </div></div>

If you don't send the letter via Certified Mail, you are risking continued stalling and "misunderstanding" of what you want. The terminology in the letter in your other thread (health, vision, hearing, social and emotional status, general intelligence, academic performance, communicative status, and motor abilities) is verbatim out of the regs.

Additionally, you are risking not getting the evaluation done within mandated timelines and/or administered by the appropriate professionals.

Sheila

On the up side, at least you received some acknowledgement that they have planned to do some type of testing -- that's a positive.

It angers me when sd reps pretend not to know "what you were looking for." On the off-chance that campus level personnel really don't know, it's always best to send letters to the Sp Ed Director. The Sp Ed Director will immediately know the terminology: health, vision, hearing, social and emotional status, general intelligence, academic performance, communicative status, and motor abilities.