aslmovies, Welcome Aboard

SRL

I saw your posts on other threads but we haven't had a chance meet you or your challenging child yet.

There's information in the FAQ's about creating a signature.

SRL

aslmovies

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was supposed to. Ok, here I go....

Hi, I have a beautiful daughter. She is 17 and was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) up until one and a half years ago. Now she is Asperger's syndrome. I personally care what they "label" it, because she is still my Samantha. She has her learners permit and getting her to even practice driving is like driving me nuts. She is in the 11th grade and I don't know what to do next. I don't know what to do to prepare her the next stage of her life. What kind of job, college, home or her own place, etc. She is completely mainstreamed and the school, on her last evaluation, told us that she has surpassed what they consider to be "Autistic". I do, however, keep her in speech at the most minimal amount possible to keep the Special Education door open. I was always told if you close that door you'll never get it open.

Sam pases ALOT...don't know if I should allow it or try to get her to stop. My first thought is to allow it because it is who she is and why would I want to change her. I just want her to be able function successfully in social settings and be happy and the best Sam she knows how to be.

I don't know what path to take or who to turn to for advice.

I have been truely blessed with all my kids and believe it or not, I have never treated any of my kids differently. I expected the same behavior from sam as I do her siblings. THe road to this expectation was bumpier with her than the others, but I wouldn't change who or what she is for anything.

tiredmommy

Thanks for the intro. My difficult child (gift from God, the child that brought me here) is quite a bit younger than your difficult child, so I don't have a lot to offer accept my congratulations on bringing your daughter so far already. Others will be along with suggestions on helping your daughter bridge to adulthood.

F

flutterbee

Hi asl and welcome to the board.

My son is 16 and while he is nowhere near the spectrum he paces ALL the time during conversation while both talking and listening. It doesn't matter if it's on the phone or in person, who he's talking to (friends, family, teachers) or the subject content. He paces. I have told him he's making me dizzy and to at least not pace across the room and to contain it to a smaller area during our longer chats. LOL

Others will be along with older children on the spectrum who can offer you their insight in that regard.

Just wanted to offer my welcome.