Aspen Education Group?

enzo

We are thinking of sending difficult child to a month of Wilderness program this summer sponsored by Aspen Education Group. Any experience or stories to share would be appreciated! We are looking at the Adirondacks or PHoenix House program. Many thanks,

Steely

Unfortunately we cannot comment on this board about specific places for our children. However I can say I have experience with this group, and you can PM me if you want more info.

Lucedaleblessed

Be careful. There have been a number of wilderness programs where teenagers have lost their lives. Especially if your child is on medication you should be alarmed. Some medication makes things worse when we are talking resistance to extreme heath or cold. Teenagers have basically cooked to death. Remember the ABC TV show years back. That program closed in 2009 because a boy died. The program was run by .... which are the same owners as the one you are thinking of sending your son to. There have also been lives lost in Idaho, South Carolina and Utah related to the owners.

I googled both and one of the programs are known to the local forest rangers because they have been called out numerous times to find clients who have been lost in the woods. It doesn't sound safe for me. We did a weekend program with our daughter and while she is far from perfect it enabled her to learn how residential life in a program could be and she has basically stayed within the lines (crossing them from time to time). I am not going to post the program online but if you are interested then PM me.

pepperidge

There are some very high quality THERAPEUTIC wilderness programs out there. An educational consultant should be able to help you. We could not have been more pleased with the one we sent my son to.

I wonder if a month will really be a month. Basically it may take a few weeks for her to buy into the program.