Asperger's medicine? I missed an inning, I guess.

DDD

There was an article in the paper today about a medication for Asperger's that has had some success with elementary age children. I'm too lazy to go find the paper but I "think" it started with an "M". Did I completely miss this because it is fairly new? difficult child#2 is over twenty now but I swear I'm shocked that I never heard/read of it until today. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Not heard anything about it here. But I'm also curious. You've got me wondering if perhaps this is something developed for it or another medication they're using for symptoms.

InsaneCdn

As far as I know, there is no medication "for Aspergers"... but there are a number of medications that are used to help with various issues that go with Aspergers - from sleep issues to "irritability" to anxiety... but none of those start with M (that I know of), so now you have ME curious too!

susiestar

Roll With It
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...ctrum-disorder/basics/definition/con-20021148

This is an article from Mayo's website about Asperger's. It lists several medications that are being used to help with some symptoms. Most are fairly typical for kids with problems - abilify, risperdal, zyprexa, ssri's, guanfacine. They do list naltrexone, brand name Revia, that is apparently use to help control some of the repetitive behaviors. It is the first I have heard of using naltrexone (used to help addicts ) for any reason with symptoms of Asperger's. But there is a first for everything.

does this help at all?

DDD

I FOUND IT! "Memantine is used to treat memory dysfunction" "The research program will evalute the drug on a larger scale for children, ages 6 to 12, with autism, Asperger's sndrom and mild symptoms on the autism spectrum." Ohio State University is running the study to see if this Alzheimer's medication can be used to treat children. It will evaluate the impact of memantine on social interaction and communications and is one of 85 research sites in the US. In 2004 a preliminary study found that the medicated children were more open and interaction and communication with peers improved.

My quick scan of the article was inaccurate. I thought the medication was available and had been for a few years. Guess it is still in the study stages. Wouldn't it be wonderful if our AS and spectrum difficult children had some help? DDD