Aspergers/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/autism evaluation info - for upthewall & others

anotherday

If your child was identified as having Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) I suggest you consider having a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/Autism evaluation. Since several of you got Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) ratings from mild to severe I thought I would share my experience.

I called my state's Autism Society, (look up autism in the yellow page), and asked for the best place to get a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/Autism evaluation in my area. We had to wait several weeks to get an appointment.

The evaluation consisted of lengthy testing and interviews by an expert in Autism Spectrum Disorders. She met with husband and I alone and several times with difficult child. difficult child was also tested by a Speech and Language Pathologist and an Occupational Therapist. There were a total of about 5 visits, each lasting 2 - 3 hours over a 6-week period.

The results were presented to husband and I. We were given a 20-page document of all the test results, summary, diagnosis and recommendations. It was extremely valuable information. My son was diagnosis'€™ed classic Asperger's (AS).

This team of people did a school observation and spoke with difficult child's teachers. They attended his IEP meeting and we received all the school services they requested. I don't believe I could have gotten so much school help without their input. I didn'€™t really even know what to ask for. difficult child'€™s IEP is in the autism category.

The evaluation was costly, but fortunately it was completely covered by our insurance.

Prior to this evaluation, I had spent three years taking difficult child to psychiatric's and psychiatrist's who all missed the AS diagnosis. I was told everything from difficult child was completely normal to it was ODD.

I found out about Asperger's from this board. I had never even heard about it before. When I started reading about AS I was sure it fit my son but difficult child'€™s psychiatric and psychiatrist at the time gave me at least 6 reasons why he could not be AS. This is why it is so important to find an autism expert.

Up the wall, I hope this answers your questions and you will consider getting a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/Autism evaluation for your difficult child. Many kids with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) have a great deal of anxiety and sensory issues.

Elise

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I appreciate all the info you gave! I feel like I am just fumbling along, but that gave me just what I needed and I know exactly where to head now.

Thank you so much!!! I really apprecitate
the input you and everyone else has given to me. I can't say how much I apprectiate it.

SO and I are certain we are dealing with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-with maybe some ADHD and what you said about sensory explains some behaviors too. Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) is actually what we first focused on when we brung her to the school.

Again thank you!

anotherday

Early intervention is so beneficial for a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) child. Huge gains can be made at a young age. It is often harder to affect change when the child is older.

A Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) child would qualify for public school pre-schools.

Gail and upthewall, you two are so smart to be looking for help for your difficult child's while they are so young. My hat's off to you!

Elise