Aspie on NY subway

TerryJ2

Wow. A friend just sent this to me. How traumatic!

NYC boy with Asperger's missing for 11 days lived in subways; says did it to avoid scolding
11-24-2009 09:46 AM EST
NEW YORK (Associated Press) --
The mother of a 13-year-old boy with Asperger's syndrome who was missing in New York City for 11 days says her son spent the entire time in the subway system.
The boy's mother, Marisela Garcia, feels police were slow to make the case a priority because she's a Mexican immigrant. But police say they contacted the school immediately and leafleted most of the city.
Garcia wants to know how her son went unnoticed for so long despite surveillance cameras and a police search. He has Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism.
Police found Francisco Hernandez Jr. on Oct. 26 in a Coney Island subway station. He says he took refuge in the subway after getting in trouble at school and feared a scolding at home.
He rode trains and used station bathrooms. He says he mostly slept and lived on snacks and water.

trinityroyal

Garcia wants to know how her son went unnoticed for so long despite surveillance cameras and a police search. He has Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism.

I'm glad that the boy was found safe and sound. His mother must have been frantic after 11 days.

As for how he could have gone unnoticed for that long...it's the easiest thing in the world to become invisible in a crowded place, especially if you don't want to be noticed.

Honestly, I'm reluctant to post how I used to do it in the public areas of the board. Anyone who's interested, PM me and I'll tell you.

Trinity

TerryJ2

As for how he could have gone unnoticed for that long...it's the easiest thing in the world to become invisible in a crowded place, especially if you don't want to be noticed.

I agree. But to a mom, you know your kid and would know him anywhere, so it seems like anyone would see him. It's a psychological thing. She was angry and panicked.