Aspie & stimulant.medications

cnels

Today was the first time I gave my son a stimulant medication, Concerta. Does anyone have experience with these medications? I gave it to him at 2pm (I know late in the day), he fell asleep in the car on the way home. At 5pm we were eating dinner and he was up off his chair and couldn't sit still-like he normally would have been!? I was confused, I thought he would be sitting still in his seat. He then fell fast asleep at 9:30. I thought he would be up all night after giving him the medications at 2pm. I don't know if this is the way he should react. I want to try the medications to see if it will help the hyperactivity I see in him. However he can sit and be completly engaged when he wants to be at school and home. Could use advice???

JJJ

I would try again, giving him the medicine in the morning about 1 hour before school. It is hard to judge it when given late. I know if I forget to give it to Eeyore (also with Aspergers), I don't bother if it is after Noon when I remember because it just knocks him out of whack.

But I'm confused, if your son can normally sit still for dinner and be completely engaged at school, why was he rx Concerta?

cnels

Thanks for your reply...this is so confusing for me. I value having someone else to talk to about it! In my post I was stating that the medicine wasn't keeping him in his seat at dinner. He rarely ever sits to eat or work in the class. I thought giving him the medications would make him sit still at dinner. He is on the go. But he CAN work (and sit) when he WANTS to. He's not agressive or unable to focus-he's just moving around. It may be a sensory thing.