Assistive Technology evaluation

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Tomorrow morning is the AT evaluation. Not sure what to expect, but hey...should be an adventure. haha

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have no idea. really. Ok, I take that back. They'll probably try an FM listening system and a few things like that. But I just can't see that they'll have a lot of technology that's really gonna help. But who knows.

Advocate wanted it. We're doiig it. Present hoop and jump.

susiestar

Roll With It
The fusion laptop that Wiz is going to be using may help. He would learn to keyboard and it might ease any problems connected with dysgraphia and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) hand issues. Many kids truly have hands that HURT if they write much. All 3 of mine do and it really saddens me. Luckily they can all keyboard and they learned to very early.

There may be other things that can help. Have you done any internet searches for assistive technology?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He uses a keyboard now, Susie. Sorry, guess I haven't posted about that part. I haven't done a lot of looking into it. I'm hitting another brick wall lately... things are a bit better than they were, but I'm tired of dealing with everything! So I'm being a bad parent. No, I haven't looked it up yet.

I do hope they find something. Guess I'm just not expecting them to. (somebody needs to smack this attitude out of me!!!)

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My children had various uses for assistive tech through the years. They used keyboards after we finally gave up teaching them to print/write legibly. wm used headsets to keep him focused - noises outside & in the classroom distracted him.

It's amazing what technology can help our difficult children. Good luck & let us know how the mtg turned out.

http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=19327&ksectionid=19327

poke around here to get some ideas for what might be of benefit....assistive device evaluations can have a pretty broad focus. make it work for you---creativity is key!

if you decide on any devices, consider writing it into the IEP to have said device come home (or a second device for home). the school day
doesnt end when the bell rings---there is *still* homework to be done :D---and it will help you gauge the usefulness of any suggested devices.

assistive devices can be as low tech as a pencil grip and as high tech with stuff we cant even dream of!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, I know they are helpful, etc. And we tried a pgm that looks like it would be a good fit for Wee...a keyboarding type program that helps him spell, read, etc.

We'll probably try it, anyway.

I learned one vaulable tidbit this morning, tho. Wee's been doing "projects" recently and it has gone really well. So the SpEd teacher (who is also the in-district autism consultant) decided to make all of his work tasks related to a project of his chosing. Reading and writing will be about that subject, math will use things relevent to that subject, etc.

I wish I'd have known she wasn't doing that sort of thing sooner! Sheesh. The kid checks out encyclopedias and pours over them for hours...hello.

Anyway, I think we have a good pgm to trial. I just hope it works.

tiredmommy

Shari... Duckie's grade one through three multiage program does project-based learning by implementing a year long theme. This year is "Mad Scientists", there's lots of room to relate to math, reading, writng, the arts, and global studies. It really helps give the kids a strong focus throughout the school year.