At the hospital

mstang67chic

Going Green
husband and his sibs are talking to the doctor now and have decided to turn off the vent and stop all medications. Her passing is estimated to be within an hour of that happening.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Stang I am really late to the thread but I'm with you all in my heart. Lots of hugs to you and husband and IL's.

mstang67chic

Going Green
OMG!

The doctor husband and sibs talked to today is a different one than the one husband made the first 24 hour agreement with. After making the decision to suspend treatment and thinking about it all last night and today until they spoke with today's doctor......the doctor decided to give mother in law another 24-48 hours. They discontinued the sedative this morning at 4 and this doctor wants to give her time to come out of days worth of sedation to see what kind of brain function she has so they can make sure. Again. As of this afternoon, she has no gag reflex, no blink reflex and hasn't so much as batted an eyelash in a couple of days. She produced a bit of urine this morning but none since. If she's moved onto her right side, her stats drop and she's on three different medications to keep her blood pressure UP. I'm so angry with this doctor. I understand the motivation but honestly....nothing will change. And...all we are doing is delaying the inevitable as well as dragging things out for husband and his sibs. But....the positive side of this...husband seems to be doing better. I hate that he has to endure at least another day of the waiting but he seems to be more accepting of all of this.

Sigh.

So....we went home to get clean clothes, some rest and bathe (LOL) and will go back up to confer with the genius doctor around noon tomorrow. As of now, the plan from today will now more than likely take place tomorrow. But...who knows what will change.

klmno

You know sometimes I think the ddrs do that for the family's well-being...to give them time to be sure they're doing the right thing and accept that there really is no feasible hope left. It sounds like that might be what this dr is doing.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Ordinarily I would agree with you however......this had already been discussed in detail with the other doctor. This one came into it new, did a 1/2 hour assessment and decided to give the family even more time to sit and dwell. And, as a matter of fact, the nurse just called husband. mother in law's blood pressure has dropped again and she's maxed out on her BiPolar (BP) medications. To me, nothing is going to change....everyone agrees on this. It's just yet one more "let's make sure" when it's obvious to anyone that it's time.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Some docs are just really uncomfortable with DNRs and stuff. They feel like they are failing as doctors if they don't employ every extreme measure out there. This can be a real issue if the hospital is affiliated with a religious organization that doesn't believe in not taking extreme measures.

We had problems with the hospital that husband died at, and that despite his not only having and advanced directive in place, but also having made his wishes clear in his own voice a few days before he died.

I still had to insist, along with his personal doctors, that he not be placed back on the vent when he began to fail. Remember that you can overrule the docs. They work for you, not the other way around.

And, I agree with you: this is just dragging out the inevitable and it is unfair to everyone involved, mother in law included.