Autism epidemic may be all in the label... MSNBC

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You know what I found interesting? Was the woman who said she was almost happier now that her son has the Autism diagnosis. Because it opens the door to all of the therapies and treatments...
This is what I battle with here in Idaho... I know it is not like this everywhere. and I am not trying to start a fight. But everyone here has "on the side" told me to take a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified diagnosis for K just to get services.

Because most of the funding right now is pushed towards helping Autism. Not Mental Health... at least here. I had a Psychologist give K the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified diagnosis without even meeting her and he told me, they will take this diagnosis from me around here... If I were you I would take it, it will open the doors.

He was right, I think he was really trying to be helpful.
But as an advocated for K and a somewhat ethical person... I would like to see all of our kids get the help for what they need... regardless of the diagnosis!
If she needs help, who cares what the fricken diagnosis is? But I don't think I should have to manipulate the diagnosis just to get help... SO as of now we have to pay for all of K's therapies ourselves or they are not available, because she is not Autistic.
Even though if these people had a clue they would realize a lot of the symptoms for some of these disorders are the same or very similiar.

Sorry just a little rant, I am not saying anyone has it easier, just here the funds are allocated more towards Autism at the moment...

4sumrzn

totoro.....a question....when you mention...
<span style="color: #FF0000">
If she needs help, who cares what the fricken diagnosis is? But I don't think I should have to manipulate the diagnosis just to get help... SO as of now we have to pay for all of K's therapies ourselves or they are not available, because she is not Autistic. </span>

Is this "help" from the school you are talking about???? I guess I'm learning that there are many services available (no cost or cheaper) in other states besides services provided through the school. Just curious what you are referring to. Thanks :wink:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
4sumrzn-
I was talking about both... we could not get services at school, they don't really aknowledge mental illness, unless she is completely out of control. Out of school every service we have tried has been dificult to get. We have been told on numerous occasions that if she were Autistic they could help us- Social services, respite, therapy, even the mental health dept...

Some places will take us on her ADHD diagnosis or Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) diagnosis... some won't take her at all... just flat out refuse, "We only work with Autism"

I don't really care about the cost... it is the point. The school kept asking, well is she Autistic???

Like I said I am SO glad that Autism is being addressed, but every special needs child needs to be helped regardless...

4sumrzn

totoro~
Thanks for explaining. I guess I'm just curious how things "work" in other states. The only "services" we receive are through the school. And, I'm surprised that in your case....diagnosis of Autistic is the only way to get services. We have had NO luck at all with any other services in the area because (as I have been told) we are not on Medicaid & the diagnosis doesn't really matter....makes me sad & I agree....every Special Needs child needs to be helped. But, some families are not financially able to get all the help they require. Thanks for the article too!