Autism evaluation results arrived

jennd23

I went in on Wednesday to discuss these but seeing her report arrived while I was out of town and I read it yesterday....it is just as confusing....

Considering all of the information provided by his mother, reported by his teacher in prior evaluations, and the results of the current evaluation, it does not appear that S meets the diagnositc criteria for Pervasive Development. At most his social deficits might be considered a mild form of Asperger's syndrome.

I just think that's confusing. This is the same report she sent to the school....he doesn't qualify for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) but he might have Aspergers......those just seem conflicting? I think I get what she's saying, she doesn't think its as severe as aspergers.....but? I don't know. I'm thinking its called a SPECTRUM for a reason.....

SRL

I think the distinction that she's making is likely in the area of severity or presence/absence of particular traits listed in the criteria. I would interpret that to mean he technically doesn't meet the diagnostic criteria to get a diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), but that his social skills especially are along the lines of Asperger's. There is an upper end of the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) spectrum which I call "spectrumy", kids with traits but who for some reason don't meet the criteria for a full diagnosis. Perhaps it's a matter of severity or maybe they're not displaying one or two of the criteria. Oftentimes when a kiddo is on the fence doctor's don't give the diagnosis provided the child can get help as the prognosis is pretty good for a spectrumy child, given the right support.

If he has social skill deficits and/or other issues, the district should address them, regardless of the diagnosis. Did the diagnostician include recommendations for services?

I usually encourage parents to not sign the authorization for the doctor to send the report to the school district until they've reviewed them and can work out any potential problems of disagreements with the doctor before the school has access to the report.

BusynMember

Our neuropsychologist (and a few other people) have told us that in two years there will be no Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) or Aspergers in the DSM. It will all be under Autistic Spectrum Syndrome. That will make things a lot easier! (THis is the US, not sure they use this DSM everywhere).
For now, I'd keep pushing for autistic interventions. They help everyone on the spectrum. My son would be considered mild too,yet as he gets older we realize he has a lot of needs that typical young adults do not. Get an advocate to help you deal with school supports.

Good luck and keep us posted!

jennd23

The school will get the results because they paid for this evaluation. Thankfully they qualified him (the day before school got out) for social skills intervention, handwriting services, and counseling services that will start next school year with an OHI for ADHD. Prior to agreeing to giving him anything I'd requested an IEE, I wanted to go ahead with it even with the services.

april1974

I would be very careful about what medical information you allow into his school file, alot of people along his school journey will read these reports and frankly some things don't need to be a formal part of his file especially if you disagree on the wording or if it causes confusion.

TerryJ2

Well, I guess they think that Asperger's is less severe than Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). But our therapist and psychiatrist consider them in the same category, differentiatedby their place on the spectrum.
I'd say you DO have a mildly autistic child, fwiw. But he is verbal. Even friends I have, who have kids who are "fully" autistic, are shocked when I tell them difficult child has Asperger's. "But he's so verbal!!!"
Whatever.
:sigh::sigh:

beachgirl200621

That does seem conflicting I hope they get it figured out. I have a question if you do not mind answering it. How do they go about testing for autisum? my son has an appointment on the 13th and Id like to know whats going to happen. Thanks!

jennd23

Beach girl - they did a lot of different tests with him, I have the list at home and I'll post what I can. I think mostly her decision came from what she saw when working with him and the questionaires I filled out though.

jennd23

I am reading on aspergerssyndrome.org: DSM-IV-TR definition of Asperger Syndrome (called 'Asperger Disorder') (APA, 1994)

There is NO question my son fits the critera for this. No question.

I want to print this out and highlight it in bright yellow and send it to her. This is one of her main reasonings for saying he doesn't have Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), because he's so attached to me.

"and the establishment of attachment patterns to family members but inappropriate approaches to peers and other persons, rather than withdrawal or aloofness as in autism "

The more I think about her results the more angry I get, which I know is silly and pointless but to tell me that parents who return results with scores as high as mine are psychotic? WTH? I have been thinking about it on and off for days now and everytime I think about it I get more mad at her. I'm so glad I found that critera. I have no doubts anymore, I didn't before I met with her but they put these things in your head and...well...you know.

jennd23

Well, I can't find a new one for this part, it is the evaluation the school paid for. But I can still be mad and keep researching. I feel better after reading that though. NO questions in my mind anymore.

T

TeDo

If you are convinced, then you can treat it as such at home. As long has his IEP addresses the Skills he struggles with, then I would leave it alone for now.

Also, just because the school paid for this one, doesn't mean you can't go out and get one on your own and bring it in later. Find a good child psychiatrist that your insurance covers and do it yourself if you think he needs more help at school than he will be getting.

YOU know and right now that is what counts. I actually felt relieved when I got the diagnosis. It reaffirmed to me that I'M NOT CRAZY!

jennd23

TeDo - I've already paid for a neruopsych evaluation, and the school has the results and disagree with them, which is what brought on THIS evaluation. Its all just a big PITA. I'm not going to push anything else since he will get the services but its frustrating.

T

TeDo

Like I said, as long as he's getting the proper services, who cares. YOU know.