Autism Rate Now at One Percent of All US Children?

R

runawaybunny

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...in-100-Now-Have-Autism-Spectrum-Disorder.aspx

A pair of federally funded studies on autism rates is about to make news, big news, and it isn't good: It would appear that somewhere around one percent of all US children currently have an autism spectrum disorder. The rate is even higher among six to 11 year olds and among boys, according to data from at least one of the new studies.

According to data from the 2007 telephone survey of parents of nearly 82,000 US children, the odds of a child receiving an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis are one in 63. If it is a boy, the chances climb to a science fiction-like level of one in 38, or 2.6% of all male children in America.

But there was also some surprisingly good news. Enormous numbers of children originally diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) went on to shed their diagnosis as they got older, parents reported.

BusynMember

If they shed their diagnosis, then they never had it because it doesn't go away. Anyway, I personally think the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) rate has always been like this, however they used to not diagnose it unless it was classic autism. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and Aspergers was not even heard of.

I think 1 in 38 is probably high.

JMO :tongue::tongue:

TerriH

On those on-line test quizes, I test out "borderline" aspergers.

In reality, I am introverted. My adopted son DOES have aspergers.

The difference is this: I CAN learn social cues if somebody talks me through it. Mostly, anyways. My son CANNOT even IF somebody talks him through it. He BECOMES capable, in time, but we are talking learning 9 year old social skills and he is now 15. And he still finds it hard to believe in what he is taught: he thinks that people are just silly.

At any rate, I wonder how much of these aspergers are just introverts that have not had things explained to them? Because aspergers does NOT go away.

The difference between my asperger son and my introverted self is that I CAN learn, if I am taught. I was not taught as a child what to say in social situations and I did not pick it up: instead my husband taught me and I did learn. Mostly.

My son really does not understand, even when he is taught. That is the difference between an aspie and an introvert.

In my opinion.