Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)/High-Functioning Autism (HFA) diagnosis, School, Move, Mammo scare(for husband) and more School... Been Mentally Busy.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am sorry I know so many of you have a lot going on and I need to catch up. I think I have been gone about 3 weeks... I missed you guys.

The Mammo scare was really no big deal, more for husband. It was my first one and they saw a spot. So I got the call back and had to go back the following week and have another one with CAD done and then Ultrasound. I spent awhile their while made sure everything looked OK. I have denser tissue on the right side.

But of course this was during the same time as all the other stuff hitting the fan!

On 2 separate occasions about 2 weeks apart K's therapist and then psychiatrist brought up Apsergers and therapist brought up High-Functioning Autism (HFA). Now that she is semi stable on medications they feel there is something left that isn't answered by just BiPolar (BP).

husband and I said we had been questioning her social issues for years and really could care less about the diagnosis but just want her to get help.
She has the Aspergers diagnosis now and we are going in for full evaluation to determine if she truly has High-Functioning Autism (HFA). Her therapist/Psychologist truly feels she does.

During this her School world was going downhill still. They brought in the District Psychologist to start a social skills group just for her... gee thanks. A little late ya think?
They really are great and want to help, but I think they are truly over their heads.

During this time as well, her Doctors agreed that we need to think of different placement for K. We already had been looking for over 6 months now.

Since we were moving already and have not locked down a place yet we started looking at different Therapeutic Day Schools. Oh, and now that she is on the Spectrum so many will take her...

We went yesterday and did a tour of one up in Phoenix, (Not my favorite place) but it comes highly recommended and Temple Grandin is going to be the speaker this year. Our Neuro-psychiatric just did a tour and feels K would fit in wonderfully.

A mother opened it and it is just awesome! I have no idea how we are going to afford it but their whole goal is to get these kids functioning in society and to college if they want.

We go in a week and a half to let K spend a 1/2 day and then the owner lets us know if K is in.

She wanted to see N as well but we can't afford it. We are looking into a couple of Montessori's for N.

So things are to say the least crazier! Phoenix is the top choice because the in-laws will be 2 hours away. It is still less expensive than Chicago and the Schools there. Which is the next place we would go.
Idaho has still not sold... we are just crossing our fingers.
If we have to keep incurring debt then so be it.

witzend

I'm glad that you wrote. I have been wondering what was up with you guys. I couldn't agree more with the sentiment that the label doesn't really matter, it's how you handle the difficulties that count. I hope that you all will find a way...

FWIW, the real estate market is picking up here. The empty house across the street finally sold after being vacant for 14 months. For $15k less than their "short sale" price... I hope that things will get better in Idaho for you. That one turned us upside down on our mortgage.

KTMom91

Been thinking about you...hope things calm down for you, and that the school is a good fit for K. Hugs to the family.

busywend

Welcome to the dense tissue club! LOL!!! It can be scary.

Sounds like you have a good handle on K and the plans for moving and school. I know everything will work out as it is supposed to. I hope it is the least stress full way! LOL!

Marguerite

It sounds like the change in diagnosis could be really positive, bringing some better understanding and more opportunities. How does she feel about the label?

As for the mammogram stuff - I've had the same experience back in mid-Feb. Only in my case, partly because it had been five years since my previous mammogram (yes, I'm a naughty girl) what they found had had plenty of time to get invasive, so I've had the surgery (lumpectomy for invasive ductal carcinoma) and I'm starting the radiotherapy in five weeks' time. But the doctor says they got mine early, she says she got it all with clear margins and I have an excellent prognosis. No chemo needed.

If you need any ideas on K and social stuff - just ask. We've been there with difficult child 1 and are heading there with difficult child 3.

Marg

tiredmommy

Good to ***see*** you, I've been kind of concerned. I hope the new diagnosis finally gives K (and the whole family) the measure of relief that appropriate treatment can offer. :)

SRL

Totoro, is your move there firm? Legally the school district is required to provide what she needs, even if it's an out of district placement.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
THank you all!
I posted over in General also... redundant!
SRL- the school would never admit that they could not help her. Honestly they think they are helping her. They think she is doing pretty well. They want to keep trying. We want to be pro-active, we want to get her out before she fails.
What the Day Schools that we talked to are finding and seeing are kids that are in 7 grade and up who have completely fallen apart and are failing so miserably that it is taking them upwards of a year to even get them functioning again.
If they had been brought in much earlier they could be "normal" and thriving.

What my Psychologist has seen in her years of working across the states and abroad is around 3rd grade our kids start to fail and then the parents and Schools keep hoping that they will be OK or they will make it. Or everyone is in denial or they just settle.
Or sadly private school for most is too expensive. Most SD will fight the families as well.

K's school is not anytime soon going to even hint that she is not doing well, and I think in there hearts they honestly believe this.

We are also applying for a few special needs scholarships.