Autoimmne Paleo Diet / FODMAP Diet?

Scent of Cedar *

Has anyone tried the Autoimmune Paleo Diet?

In theory, it reduces inflammation contributing to all autoimmune disorders. There is much information on this diet available online. There are many Paleo recipes on allrecipes.com. It would seem to be possible to eat this way without too much difficulty.

The FODMAP diet has to do with the theory that carbohydrates pull water into the intestinal tract and then, if we are missing enzymes for digesting certain foods, leads to bacterial overgrowth and fermentation, resulting in our immune systems going into overdrive. Recent research indicates this diet to be helpful in psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other autoimmune issues.

Cedar

Copabanana

Has anyone tried the Autoimmune Paleo Diet?
Cedar, I think this is how my son eats. He does so to reduce inflammation which he believes causes his hair loss. He says inflammation is what causes liver damage, not the Hep virus per se.

If he is to be believed his liver is OK.

This is what he eats: organic beef, salmon, sardines are his preferred protein sources. He drinks olive oil. He eats vegetables such as salad, spinach. He eats fruit. He eats loads of eggs.

He eats no dairy. He does not eat refined carbs and stays away from complex carbs for the most part too.

He drinks gallons of pure water.

He insists I will lose weight on this diet. He believes it will help my arthritis. He believes that most illness is caused by inflammation which is preventable.

I once went to a doctor who put me on this exact diet. I could have cream, sour cream, blue cheese dressing, rye bread, butter. (My son will not eat these things.)

At the time I was suffering from IBS, GERD and Gastritis. Within 10 days to two weeks all symptoms of all three disappeared. As soon as I quit the diet, they resumed.

I do not know what that diet was called. I was put on it because I was determined to be a "fast oxidizer" a concept I do not particular understand. This was a non-traditional practitioner.

My favorite things in the world are: pastries, desserts, breads. I can live on them.

If you go on this, I will try it again too.

COPA

Scent of Cedar *

I love cookies and pasta and bread too, but have allergic reactions when I eat them. Or even, rice or popcorn. I had been figuring out on my own which foods were causing reactions when I came across the information on the FOD diet and then, looked into the autoimmune Paleo Diet, as well. I'd heard about the Paleo Diet, but did not understand it's purpose was to address the inflammatory response.

We just learned vegetable oil can be an inflammatory agent, and are using only olive oil, now. Your son was correct in that, Copa. Maybe, he is right about diet.

allrecipes.com has an entire section on Paleo cooking.

I don't know what a tri-tip is, Copa. Beef of some kind, I understand that, but I think I have never eaten a tri-tip. Especially with the nicer cuts of beef? I have an allergic reaction and my asthma flares up.

And yet, I can eat pork. I can eat Italian sausage, even.

But not beef.

So that is why I did not ask how to make tri-tip.

This is what he eats: organic beef, salmon, sardines are his preferred protein sources. He drinks olive oil. He eats vegetables such as salad, spinach. He eats fruit. He eats loads of eggs.

He eats no dairy. He does not eat refined carbs and stays away from complex carbs for the most part too.

He drinks gallons of pure water.

I react badly to beef, and to some brands of chicken. Pork I can do, but not ham. I react badly to beans, rice, quinoa even; corn. Cheese. Eggplant and peppers. (Asthma, not gastro.) And to other strange things. I did have problems with my stomach, and began using apple cider vinegar or Diet Coke for them. (I know, everyone is appalled at Diet Coke. But I was miserable, and tried it, and it works, for me. So does apple cider vinegar in water, but not as well.)

The FOD diet relates foods from the nightshade family to allergic response. (Potatoes, eggplant, peppers, tomatillos.) It lists chemical additives and allergic response, which was interesting. In some other piece of research Copa, I read that food dye Yellow #5 (I think it was #5) which is in much prepared food, is highly allergenic. Foods prepared from beans, such as coffee or cocoa, can be inflammatory, according to the information on the FOD diet site.

So that explains why I react to coffee. I should stop drinking it, again.

I have been learning by trial and error, and did not know there were specific diets designed, not just to avoid say, peanuts, but to calm the entire inflammatory response.

I know avoiding certain foods helps with asthma. I know that when he eats potatoes, D H arthritis flares up. I believe your son is right, Copa. Daughter has been aware of the role diet plays too (before I had any concerns about it), but like me, she was figuring things out on her own. I will share this information with her, too.

Let us take our cue from your son then, Copa.

I will have to give up coffee again. Here is a funny thing that happened. So I did decide to give up coffee, after I read the information on the FOD diet. I made Tension Tamer tea instead, which is an herbal, caffeine-free tea.

And had an allergic reaction almost as bad as any I have had.

Huh.

That is what is so frustrating about being allergic to things. I am allergic to healthy things, too.

roar

Now I am considering again, because of this thread, the anti-inflammatory diet. It was interesting to read the information on the FOD diet too, because it listed as potential allergens many of the things vegetarians eat that I cannot eat. The thing is, it's frustrating to react to something like herbal tea or quinoa. But as you posted Copa, your son does not eat complex carbohydrates, either. That will have to be my rule, too.

But yes Copa, and everyone reading along. Let's try eating in ways that are healthy for us relative to the inflammatory process and report back on that, here. I think we need to drink more water, too. I like that your son believes drinking pure water is instrumental in calming the inflammatory response. That makes very good sense to me.

He insists I will lose weight on this diet. He believes it will help my arthritis. He believes that most illness is caused by inflammation which is preventable.

I once went to a doctor who put me on this exact diet. I could have cream, sour cream, blue cheese dressing, rye bread, butter. (My son will not eat these things.)

I believe it will help your arthritis, too.

Do you mean those were the only things you could eat, Copa? Or do you mean you could have those things in addition to the basic Paleo Diet? You know I have been reading about gut flora. I wonder whether the creams and cheese and rye added specific types of flora? We eat lots of butter, but not the other things. D H uses cream in his coffee. I used to enjoy rye bread, but I don't eat bread, anymore. I don't eat blue cheese dressing or sour cream, either. I will try these things and report back. I just stopped eating them because I stopped eating breads and dairy. Blue cheese for sure and maybe, rye and sour cream, will probably do amazing things for our microbiota.

We have been using plain Greek yogurt with live cultures. Apparently, one cannot use too much plain Greek yogurt with live cultures.

Ew.

Those stupid microbiota.

Cedar

Josie

My daughter has a chronic illness and has done the Paleo diet for a few years. She has done the autoimmune Paleo diet for shorter times here and there but doesn't seem to notice that she feels better doing that, so she doesn't restrict those foods. She has found when she eats foods high in FODMAPS, that she gets very bloated, so she avoids those.

She did a gut repair diet for maybe 4 - 8 weeks, last year. This was mostly the autoimmune Paleo diet and she also took some supplements for gut repair. It also involves building up the gut bacteria. After that, she could tolerate more of the FODMAPS foods for a while, so maybe there is something to that idea. It is thought a leaky gut will lead to food intolerances, so you might benefit from looking into that.

She is kind of getting away from the Paleo diet now. She went on a vacation and had to eat more carbs since that is all there was and noticed that she actually felt better eating that way. I don't know if it is a coincidence but her thyroid tests improved after that, too. She was always hungry and unsatisfied on the Paleo diet. She is gluten free due to probable celiac disease so that won't change. Going gluten free and dairy free made a big difference for her stomach issues.

Any of these diets have been easy enough at home. Eating out or at someone else's house is problematic to say the least.

Copabanana

Do you mean those were the only things you could eat, Copa?
Google fast oxidizer diets, Cedar. There are small difference from practitioner to practitioner.

The principle is each of has a different type of metabolic system. There are four types. I only remember fast or slow oxidizer.

This is what I remember: It was maybe 15 years ago.

No tomatoes. No citrus. No juice. I think no bananas. Best fruit was apples and pears. All of the good fruits I could not have. Like melon. I think I could have strawberries. I do not remember. For sure apples and pears. But fruit was not my best thing.

I could have apple cider vinegar only. No lemon juice.

All the olive oil I wanted.

Eggs.

All cheese, but full fat. Only full fat milk, but limited quantity. All the cream I wanted. Why would I want a lot of cream? Sour cream. All the butter I wanted.

I could have oatmeal. Which I love. I could have rye bread. No other bread that I remember except perhaps sprouted wheat maybe which I intensely hate. But I am not sure about that.

All meat. Especially lamb or game meats which I do not eat. No processed meat. Poultry is OK. Fish is OK. Especially salmon. (I asked if that meant lox, he said no. But I could have it.)

No potatoes. No sweet potatoes or other starchy vegetables.' No corn.

All green vegetables were fine. (I do not remember about peppers.)

No sugar. No honey. No flour. No rice. No pasta.

I do not remember about barley. I love barley.

Actually, it was a very easy diet to follow.

I do not remember about alcohol.

Mayonnaise was OK.

I think in my type the point is to slow down the metabolism by giving it stuff you have to work hard to digest. He said the prototype for my diet was the caveman or paleo diet, but he had his own food list. I have never done the paleo diet.

My son must do an anti-inflammation diet.

I cannot tell you how quickly my IBS cleared up. I really should do it again.

I was working at San Quentin. I ate either oatmeal and milk for breakfast or rye toast with lox.

Maybe I brought an apple and a piece of cheese for lunch.

For dinner meat and salad.

So now I am realizing how it would be tough. After dinner? No cocoa. No dessert.

What? Another apple and cheese?

Oh. Now I remember. Nuts are fine. So there is the snack. I think peanut butter is fine, too.

That is what I remember. I will look for a website.

Tell me what you decide to do. I will try too. I have some of the same health issues you do.

You know, my mother ate a diet very like this. So did my grandmother. They did it voluntarily. I wonder why?

I remember he said that cooking my food was better than raw. I am not sure why. Cooked vegetables better than salad, but I could eat salad.

COPA

Last edited:

Copabanana

I forgot. All of the legumes I wanted.

I found this:

Carbohydrates, in fast oxidizers, should come primarily in the form of cooked vegetables... eliminating simple sugars, processed grains and starchy carbs.

And this:

A QUICK SUMMARY OF THE DIET FOR FAST OXIDIZERS

Cooked Vegetables. Most adults need to eat nine to ten cups of cooked vegetables each day. Vegetables must be cooked until they are soft, not crunchy.

Eat 2- 3 cups of cooked vegetables at least three times daily.

Measure the cups of food with cooked, not raw vegetables. Ideally, each day have at least 2 (two) in each of these groups of vegetables:

- Root vegetables (such as carrots, onions, turnips, daikon, rutabagas or parsnips. Others include taro, cassava, eddoes, dasheen and tania.)

- Cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or Brussels sprouts).

- Greens (such as spinach, Swiss chard, turnip greens, mustard greens or kale).

This is a lot of cooked vegetables, but they are needed today to provide hundreds of nutrients! Eat the cooked vegetables first at a meal, so you won’t accidentally fill up on other food and skip them.

- Garnishes of dried herbs on your food. These are excellent to add a little raw food, flavor and extra nutrients. Among the best is tarragon – which everyone must use. Anyone in a four lows pattern needs one teaspoon of dried tarragon leaves every day. Everyone else needs less.

Other excellent herbs to garnish food are dried or liquid mustard, dried horseradish, ginger, and garlic. Others that are good, but not quite as good as the ones above are parsley, rosemary, basil, cilantro or coriander, thyme, and marjoram.

- Sea salt. Unrefined sea salt may be used liberally, and in most cases does not cause high blood pressure or other problems. Adults can have up to 2000 mg of unrefined sea salt per day. Two excellent brands of sea salt are Real Salt by Redmond and Bamboo Jade Sea Salt, which is sold on several websites.

Avoid all table salt, which is toxic and deficient in trace minerals. Also, never add salt to your drinking water. Also, do not just eat salt alone. Sprinkle a little on your food, preferably after it is cooked.

- Soups. Soups usually have too much water in them, so they dilute the digestive juices and interfere with digestion. Occasionally thick soups or purees are okay. Another way to eat soups is to separate the vegetables and meat from the broth after cooking. Eat the vegetables and meat as part of a meal, and have the vegetable broth as a drink between meals.

- Fermented foods. The following fermented foods are okay to eat: natural cheeses, plain yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, miso and a little natural soy sauce. Avoid all the others, including kombucha tea, pickles,kimchi, fermented cod liver oil, and fermented grains. Most contain aldehydes, which are toxic.

Protein. Eat about 4 to 5 ounces of high-quality protein, but only twice daily. Most protein needs to be of animal source, such as lamb, chicken, turkey, soft-cooked eggs or preferably raw dairy products such as cheese and yogurt.

A few cautions:

1. Dairy. Limit dairy products to 4 ounces daily. This includes milk, cheeses, yogurt or kefir.

2. Meat. Limit portions of meat to about 4 ounces each. Many people eat too much meat.

3. Eggs. Limit eggs to 6 per week for women and only 8 per week for men, and no more. This is important. Also, do not eat egg whites. If you have an egg, eat the whole egg, and always with the yolk soft.

4. Animal protein. This is important, but have it no more than twice a day. Animal protein includes all meats, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese and yogurt.

5. Vegetarianism. Avoid all vegetarian diets and avoid raw food diets. Read about vegetariandiets.

6. Fish. Do not eat fish or shellfish (seafood) except for up to 3 or 4 cans of sardines weekly. Unfortunately, most all food from the sea is highly contaminated with mercury today.

7. Do not eat meat broths because they are somewhat toxic and contain very little nutrition. Instead, eat the meat. Bone broth is also excellent.

Fat and oils. Fast oxidizers must have 1-2 tablespoons of good quality fat or oil with each meal (three or four times daily). This is a hard and fast rule.

Excellent quality fats for fast oxidizers are meat fats such as that found in lamb, beef, duck and chicken thighs and legs. Others are butter, but not ghee, which is more processed. Others are almond butter.

Butter. An excellent brand of butter is the Challenge brand in the USA, found in many regular supermarkets, but not found in health food stores. Most brands of butter, however, are not healthful, even if it is labeled organic.

Vegetable oils. Also, a small amount of processed vegetable oils are okay. These include olive, sunflower, safflower, sesame, peanut, soy, canola, or grape seed oils. Unprocessed flaxseed and hempseed oils are also okay, but I don’t recommend them because they go rancid very quickly.

Tropical fruit oils - Coconut and palm oils. You can have a little coconut oil or palm oil on occasion, but these are somewhat toxic and more yin, so do not eat a lot of them.

And this:

Good sources of protein. We recommend that you purchase foods in the form closest to its original form

• Organic grass fed beef
  • Fresh or frozen fish such as salmon, cod, haddock, grouper, and many other choices. We recommend you try to eat fish at least twice per week.
  • Poultry such as organic chicken, turkey, or hen. Avoid processed chicken look for antibiotic and hormone free poultry
  • Nuts, seeds, and nut butters such as sunflowers, cashews, peanuts, pine nuts, pistachios, flax seeds, soy nuts, almonds, walnuts. Again, best to purchase fresh, organic – check your labels to watch out for added chemicals such as MSG.
  • Eggs
  • Pork: choose lean fresh cuts such as pork tenderloin, cutlet, or chops. Processed meats such as bacon/sausage are okay once in a while or in small amounts, but again, purchase those without nitrites and chemicals added.
Vegetarian sources of protein:1. Legumes (but these also contain significant amounts of carbohydrates) – such as pinto, lima, black, garbanzo, white, etc.
2. Nuts, seeds, and nut butters
3. Soy such as tofu, miso – again purchase organic to get the right kind of estrogen that is healthy for the body.

Food Allergy and Joint Inflammation
A food allergy/sensitivity panel checks for any “delayed” allergic reactions your body may have against certain foods. When we eat allergenic foods, our immune cells produce antibodies, which are like little torpedoes. The antibodies try to destroy the invading substance. If the offending food is eaten often throughout the day, you can understand how the body will act as if it is under a continued “attack,” hence, keeping the body in a state of chronic systemic inflammation. A war is literally waging inside your body against the very food you ate to nourish yourself. Commonly, food allergies or sensitivities to dairy, wheat, and eggs are the culprit. We test either 95 or 190 foods in our food sensitivity panels. From these results, we can more specifically tweak your diet. In addition to eating allergenic/sensitive foods, eating foods that contain chemicals, dyes, and hydrogenated fats also contribute to bad systemic inflammation. Thus we recommend the following to get you on the road to healthy eating.

Water is the most necessary nutrient in the body. The human body is composed of 25 percent solid matter and 75 percent water. Many of the supporting structures of the body contain a significant amount of water. Inadequate intake of water may lead to inadequate fluid support to these areas, resulting in weakened structures that may produce chronic pain.

Last edited:

Copabanana

In looking for this information I remembered several things which if I was smart I would take seriously.

One, that I crave sweets and pastries is diagnostic.

Two, my nutritionist said I have a food sensitivity to pastries and breads and that is why I cannot stop eating them.

I ate both of the two bags of Halloween candy I bought.

Cedar, if you go on this diet or something similar I will try too.

COPA

Scent of Cedar *

We already ate like that most of the time Copa, because I am allergic to so many things. D H doesn't need to eat that way, and was losing too much weight. So, we added pasta and breads for him and etc. Or, he will come home with donuts, and I will eat most of them. Or, I will make pie. That is alright in a way, because eating pie does me in altogether. I cannot eat apple pie. I think it is the double crust. We did recommit to this diet, Copa (with intention, this time). What we were doing wrong was not eating enough and being forever hungry. Last night: Two pork chops each, half a sweet potato, asparagus, and coleslaw with vinegar and olive oil dressing. Usually we have one pork chop apiece. Not the thick ones. We decided to try two to see whether we were still hungry later, and to eat them for lunch today if we did not eat both chops.

We ate both.

And feel great.

No pasta, no bread, pumpkin pie for dessert but I did not eat the crust.

Breakfast is always eggs with bacon or sausage.

We haven't been eating lunch. Yesterday, we did. I had leftover tuna carapaccio (where you eat the tuna almost raw, with ginger and wasabi). D H had soup. I had an apple too, now that I think of it.

We always eat full fat, Copa. Our bodies need it. It is especially bad for us to eat low fat sugary things, like low fat ice cream or yogurt.

Both D H and I are thin, and well muscled.

Copa. I crave pasta and pastries and cookies and sweets, too. If I stay away from them altogether, I do better. When I eat them at all, I cannot get enough. At Halloween, we always had to buy candy twice because I would eat however many bags we bought until all the candy was gone.

We are both of Celtic descent. That must figure in here, somewhere.

Cedar

Scent of Cedar *

I can't do legumes, or corn. It's been frustrating to not know what is safe to eat. Pretty much, that would be protein and veggies. I cannot do strawberries. I seem to be able to do anything once but if I eat it again, or eat alot of it BOOM.

We will stay away from pastries and pasta altogether then, Copa.

Confused, how nice to see you!

:O)

Josie, good morning, and welcome. I hope your child is doing better, now.

Cedar

Copabanana

Cedar, it is not just that I crave pastries and bread. It is that I love them. I really, really love them. They make me happy.

M just feels so special when I bake for him. And he is very, very hungry at night. It gives me pride to bake for him. Not to cook. To bake. (Remember, on my Celtic side they were all bakers.)

The nutritionist says what in the world does that matter? He is a big boy. Let him take care of himself.

Scent of Cedar *

The nutritionist says what in the world does that matter? He is a big boy. Let him take care of himself.

This is why it matters, and I absolutely understand the loving pride in it for you both.

M just feels so special when I bake for him.

It gives me pride to bake for him. Not to cook. To bake.

I think there is something special about baking, too. I love the way it smells when we are baking, and I love the way it looks when a pie or cookies or bread (which I am not so good at bread) are cooling on the counter.

It feels like home.

Do you become sick when you eat baked goods, Copa? If not, then I think you should have them. I can eat them sometimes, but then, I eat them too much, and have trouble breathing and my face swells and I look awful and start reacting to everything so I have to stop and let myself calm down again.

I don't know what to do about it, really.

I love to bake, too.

Cedar

Copabanana

Do you become sick when you eat baked goods, Copa?
No. But I am trying to lose weight. My metabolism was never all that fast, and now I can practically starve and only lose about 3/4 lb a week, at most.

If I could find a way to control myself, to have one bite, that would be best.

The easiest thing to control my appetite is to not have it in the house, to not bake.

I think the best thing is to not bake for now, give myself time to take off the weight. And introduce more exercise to accelerate the process. Like 6 months.

Because when I bake I eat, and that slows if not stops my weight loss.

And then when I reach my goal weight, bake once a week only.

That is the only way.

Cedar, can you stay away from pastry and cookies if you bake? I know you eat what you should not have but is that by decision or by compulsion?

I think it is key what you and D H are doing which is to eat better and eat more. I almost always am more vulnerable in the evening. I have long thought that what I see as a lack of will is actually to remedy a lack of quality and quantity of food for the day.

COPA

I think the way you are thin

Nomad

Staff member
Me too. I have Sjogrens Syndrome, and ITP (low platelets/autoimmune) ironically, I have lupus too, BUT have had the very weird experience lately of my lab tests being fine one day and not the other. I actually think it might be diet. I was diagnosed with lupus 30+ years ago. At the time it was HIDEOUS. I've had varying degrees of problems with it. But, the last three years, I eat very well. And my tests are clearly much better.
I avoid processed foods and sugar. I'm not truly gluten free, but rarely eat bread or pasta. I eat a ton of vegetables, a lot raw, a lot green.
I don't know about FODMAP...I think some of my favorite things are on there. I love eggplant, for example. I eat potato...but not a lot.
I don't eat a lot of fruit. I think the fruits I eat the most would be apples, kiwi, grapes and pineapple. I love avocado and tomatoes...not sure what category they fall into.
I see a connection between food and how I feel. Also, between my mental state and how I feel. I do my best to avoid stress or deal with it in a healthy manner.

Scent of Cedar *

Cedar, can you stay away from pastry and cookies if you bake? I know you eat what you should not have but is that by decision or by compulsion?

I think it is key what you and D H are doing which is to eat better and eat more. I almost always am more vulnerable in the evening. I have long thought that what I see as a lack of will is actually to remedy a lack of quality and quantity of food for the day.

I agree, Copa.

I think what happens is so different a thing than for someone to just want a little something sweet. I want all of it until it's gone. It is a running joke at our house that I eat all the candy, or all the cookies, or all the donuts or pasta or ice cream. But that is not a funny thing when I am already experiencing symptoms and have more, anyway. After whatever is gone, I go through a kind of sugar craving withdrawal.

Or, pasta craving.

I do best when I have none of those things, but then, I will make something or go for pizza and BOOM. Normal things everyone does, and it is so easy to forget that I cannot have those things. Like your M, D H loves those things and feels loved when he has them. It is a happy thing for us. Until I get sicker and sicker and finally, stop. When I have eaten something I shouldn't, it seems sensitivity to everything increases.

How strange, that I do that. It has taken awhile for me to realize it. There was a time when we were all supposed to be eating high carb, low protein diets, remember? And I loved that. I wasn't sick, yet. Along in there somewhere is when I did get sick, though. It has been a trial and error thing since then, but I would absolutely say "compulsion" is the right word.

I am doing this diet with a combination of FODMAP too, Copa.

Sad and Frustrated private messaged me with information relative to sulfites used as preservatives in almost everything, and I am going to look into that aspect of things, too. (Thank you, Sad.)

Nomad, I am glad you are here too. It is difficult for me to believe myself about these sensitivities over time. I will eat cookies or pizza or ice cream or candy and it is like the cycle begins, again. Then, I put the pieces together and ~ it's like I am a little surprised to realize I really do have certain sensitivities, and that I do need to pay attention.

Copa, our thinking about remembering to eat adequately is right on, I think. I have been doing things like not having the pasta. So, I would eat salad and meat and that's all. I would be hungry all the time and eventually, eat the cookies or donuts or ice cream and be hooked again into the wrong things.

I believe this is true. I had not looked at it in that way. I too thought I was someone without discipline regarding these matters. In a way, it was a subtle way of justifying hating myself. How is it that I did not make that connection to inadequate calories and craving for pasta and sweets and add more vegetables?

So, for those of us committing to these new ways of eating, that is an important piece. I would beat myself up too Copa, for having eaten things that made me sick knowing they might make me sick.

I was hungry.

And hooked into some kind of craving...maybe, because I was hungry.

So, we will have to be sure we serve two or three vegetables and extra meat too, if we can, so that calorie hunger doesn't happen. For those who can eat legumes or nuts, those would be important things to include. I cannot do those things without having a reaction. Remember when I made that baklava last year? It was full of pecans and so delicious and I was so freaking sick until it was finally gone!

Yum.

I am making that again this year.

Or maybe, we can find other, equally delicious ways to celebrate the holidays, and share those recipes on the Conduct Disorders healthy eating thread.

I only know recipes for things that I shouldn't be eating.

I am...I would not like to lose more weight. (Here is a joke: An older woman and a younger woman were discussing undergarments. The older woman told the younger that she had stopped wearing bras altogether years ago. The younger woman asked whether that was healthy for the breast tissue. The older woman replied: "Oh honey, at my age that doesn't matter. All I have left is the bags they came in."

:O)

Where was I going with this.

I am so grateful we are in this, together. It will be easier for me to take myself seriously now.

D H never believes me until I am sitting there swollen up and having trouble breathing. He is just so Italian. He wants us to eat together and sees that as celebration and he does not like it when we eat different things. But it is real, what happens when I try not to eat enough of the offending foods to be full, and am hungry, and get sick...and am accused of eating cookies or donuts though I know they are not good for me when in fact, I haven't been taking in enough calories or nutrients and that is why I am still hungry.

An interesting little circle I might not have seen, had it not been for this discussion.

What we need is a tee shirt with the slogan: Donuts happen.

Surely, this is an existential truth.

Cedar

allrecipes.com has a section of Paleo Diet recipes.

I have to do some more exploration, there.

FODMAP recipes:

http://fodmapliving.com/sample-page/

http://paleoleap.com/paleo-guide-to-your-immune-system/

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

Somehow we are wired to crave the very thing(s) that is a problem. Carbs can be one. So can dairy. Not all impacts are gut related - dairy protein can affect brain function in susceptible people. It's almost an addiction - we have to go 100% clean, because just a tiny bit brings back the craving.

For total carb lovers who also love to bake: See if you can get some "Red Fife" whole wheat flour. It's available where I am, in places like bulk stores and health food stores. It is still wheat. But it is an older variety, with more gluten and less gliadin (a different wheat protein). I do much better when I do all my own baking and eliminate modern wheat. (It just takes a lot of effort!)

Two, my nutritionist said I have a food sensitivity to pastries and breads and that is why I cannot stop eating them.

I fully believe that. I think our bodies crave what we're sensitive to. I have IBS, asthma, and and am lactose intolerant, yet I crave dairy. I'll drink milk and love cheese but afterwards I feel like I'm 9 mos. pregnant. At one point I gave up all dairy, and lost 60 lbs in 4 mos. without even trying. Quite honestly, I thought I had some undiscovered disease because the weight just fell off without me trying. I thought I was dying. :)
But I missed milk in my coffee, and I missed pizza with cheese and calzones but I resented the fact that I had to give them up and started consuming them again. I am my own worst enemy. Of course, I gained all that weight back. If you guys go on that diet, I'll give up dairy if y'all promise to hold my hand through my pizza withdrawals.

InsaneCdn

@sadandfrustrated Try goat milk. Some people can tolerate that much better than cow milk. It has a different mix of milk protein. I shouldn't have ANY diary, but I'm married to a man from a dairy-centered culture. I've found I can tolerate goat cheese in small amounts - and it's a real treat.

InsaneCdn

Oh. That's how life goes, right? Solve one challenge and run smack into the next one. Unlike cow dairy, the goad dairy industry is small - so, they only have full-fat products. You might get away with TINY amounts for flavor...