Awesome

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Looking for a cheap as dirt blow your mind cleaner solution?

Awesome found in dollar stores for a whole buck will clean anything with little or no effort. I'm doing some of the omg I was in school for 4 yrs cleaning....and it's really bad in some areas......and in others looks like an all day project.

My bro came to visit with my mom over the holidays and when I mentioned I dreaded cleaning my walls this spring he said he had the perfect thing for it. Then he drug me to the dollar store.....Folks my walls are sort of bad, cigarette smoke (about 7 yrs worth), pets rubbing up against it, little fingers with dirt or food. Now I've tried to keep up with the dirt and food......but idiot man who redid the place used flat paint and the more you wash flat paint (and god forbid scrub it) the less paint you have.......and he didn't do but maybe 2 coats to begin with. So I've had to just pretty much stop before I had no paint in spots.

Bro sprayed on the Awesome, wiped the wall with a wet cloth.....and omg it was CLEAN! No scrubbing, no rinse and repeat.......well you do want to rinse it off.....but no repeat. He says he uses it on everything and loves it. I've just started really using it and I'm impressed. Mean Green is some powerful stuff, but Awesome has it beat hands down without the foul smell or fumes out the wazoo.

Name brands will be no more soon as I use them up. They don't do much anyway......not on really built up stuff at least. To me it's worth it just for the walls alone. lol OMG I've been really dreading the walls........normally takes an eternity with all the scrubbing and such. I know most people like the magic erasers but I stopped using them. Too expensive and the ones I get don't last worth a hoot.....they clean well but if it can't last half a side of a door what good is it?? lol

You're supposed to dilute the stuff. But for heavy cleaning (like the walls) I leave it full strength.

Oh, and another dollar store find. Microfiber dusters. Looks like swiffers but it's microfiber and you can remove it from the handle and toss it into the washer. Also a buck as opposed to the out of this world cost of the swiffers.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
So far I've found them in Everything For a Dollar, the Dollar Store......and was going to check out Dollar General to see if they carry them too.

H

HaoZi

Dollar General is the only chain like that in my area now, Dollar Tree here closed a few years ago.

busywend

Been using it for about 7 years now! Talk about cut grease? I once had a washing machine break and apparently it sprayed oil or grease all under the machine. While the guy had it tipped up, I sprayed Awesome and whipped it with a dry paper towel. Came right up, no residue at all. He was amazed.

The only thing I hate about it is the bottle sprayer sometimes goes bad - so before throwing or recycling your bottle - if it is still working save it as you may need it with the next bottle.

donna723

I'll have to check on that! We only have Dollar General here too.

And how did you know I'm in the middle of washing down walls????? It is not exactly a job I've been looking forward to! I couldn't stand my living room any more and it absolutely has to be painted. It started off with the walls a beigey color and the fireplace and woodwork were an off-white. I have the little open-flame gas heaters that turn everything orange, and it doesn't help that I'm a smoker too. It was discolored to the point that the woodwork and the walls are the same color! So I'm having to clean all that mess off before I can paint. I'm doing the woodwork first and painting it white and I've cleaned that off as I went, and I've done little parts of the walls around the windows, but OMG is that WORK!!!

And did you know ... it's entirely possible to clean your ceiling with a sponge mop? Messy but possible!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Awesome is awesome. I like Mean Green - but if you don't test it on some things? It takes the surface off. Awesome has never done that.

Just FYI - we use BORAX (okay you know this is coming - 20 MULE TEAM BORAX) in the laundry as a booster for sour smelling sweaty clothes, towels that have sat, and for an over night soak in a gallon of water for pit stains and it works very well. It's also a great cleaner.

EXCELLENT post Dog -

Star*

call 911........call 911
FYI - the best way to wash your walls is to start at the bottom -

WHY? So that you catch any and all streaks which may run and change the color of your walls due to cleaner. If you start at the top? You are forever chasing drips. Too - if you use 2 buckets for cleaning walls the job goes a lot quicker - ONE for cleaner - ONE for rinse. Trust me - co-owned a merry maids years ago and they dont' teach you how to clean slowly - no money in it. We weren't allowed to use a mop, but the same principal applies.

Also - If you are cleaning windows? Do the inside - LEFT TO RIGHT wipes. Outside TOP to BOTTOM Wipes. That way when you stand inside and see streaks you will know which side your streaks are on and can fix them quickly.

nvts

Headed to Dollar Tree first thing tomorrow! As you can imagine, with the Weeble, everything under 2 feet tall has handprints, crayons or markers on them!

I can wait to go the vengence route on the walls!

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Beth -

Have you tried the Mr. Clean sponges for crayons and Markers? If you write them they should send you a free sample? They are amazing!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Great tip for the walls Star, and I'll most certainly use it! I hate chasing drips. Window one is great too, never thought to do that. lol

Beth I've not tried the awesome for crayons/markers. But like Star I do know the Mr. Clean sponges take it off like it's nothing. (of course if it's my house it only points out how badly the rest of the wall needs washed lol)

Now..........does anyone have a great tip on how to clean mini blinds the easy way? Is there any easy way?? I take them down and fill up the tub with water and cleaning solution (thinking awesome lol ) let it soak a bit then wipe them down with a rag. That's usually not so bad. The part that drives me nuts is trying to dry the darn things. Even draining the tub and letting them sit only removes so much water.........so I've got a drip drip drip to the window or on the bathroom floor while someone else is frantically trying to wipe them dry. ugh

H

HaoZi

I have the Mr. Clean eraser sponge things, and really I'm not impressed by them. They get some stuff up and maybe it's me but those things shred and wear down to nothing in no time flat. I'll have to see if Dollar General has this stuff, best thing I'd found so far was a Lysol apple degreaser that they don't make any more (took 20 years worth of grease off wallpaper with minimal work and no damage) and the Lysol Citrus Anti-Bacterial Kitchen Spray (which also kills palmetto bugs).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well it's good to know I'm not the only one those sponges shred on. They have gotten crayon/marker off the walls for me............but I can't really use them like they show in the commercials. They shred much too fast for that. And they're not cheap either.

This stuff kicks fanny on grease. I did my stove with it...........and it got off stuff SOS didn't move.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL Janet!!!

For miniblinds... Close them. Grab a microfiber cloth and dampen it. Wipe in a downwards motion on the rounded side, upwards on the back side. For stubborn spots? Left to right.

For the cigarette smoke - I will have to see if I can find some Awesome. I use diluted Krud Kutter, which is a miracle in a bottle, but it's also EXPENSIVE.

The weirdest thing just happened, I decided to clean out my laundry room shelf and I knocked something over. It was the AWESOME which is probably 10 years old. I honestly didn't know I had it, it says "sold on tv". It is truly great! I doubt I can get any more of it though. I put my detergent way up high and never even clean that shelf, I can't see it, but it is definately awesome! I live in NJ and just have these tiny dollar stores, not a name brand or anything.

HaoZi! That is it!

Last edited:

donna723

Janet, that's exactly how I "cleaned" my mini blinds! I only have one small set of them, in my bathroom. They were seven years old, dirty and dingy, and I kept putting off cleaning them because of the mess. I finally went to a discount store and bought another set exactly like them for a whole three dollars! They snapped right in to the brackets for the old ones and it was well worth $3.00 to me not to have to mess with cleaning the old ones!