Awful thing happened here...Cop killed!

DammitJanet

I just heard on the news that on Tuesday on of our local cops was gunned down when he tried to arrest a person who was wanted on a warrant. This officer was off duty but happened to notice the guy sitting in his car and he called another officer for backup and they went to serve this suspect when the suspect decided to shoot the cop and make himself into the most hated man in my county. People are now calling for lynchings and hangings and are angry at the partner of the slain cop because he didnt just gun the murderer down. I know the second cop couldnt do that because of the area they were in...a gas station parking lot with tons of people around.

Now people want to start to carry guns all the time...locked and loaded! This is the first officer death in our town since 1936. I didnt think everyone liked the cops that well but I guess when people see that thugs are willing to shoot a cop, they think they will shoot anyone.

Tensions are really high here.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh! That is so awful! I'll say a prayer for the cop's family. :(

I know around here people would be enraged, although I don't know if they'd call for lynching. We're small enough that our police force is pretty well known.

As for wanting to carry loaded weapons.........it wasn't unheard of before, and these days it has become mighty popular. sister in law has his conceal carry license. Heck their pediatrician/family doctor has his, and if you knew what all that man is packing, holy smokes, I pity anyone idiot who gives him trouble! easy child and I will be going for ours in the near future. Why? Because our little neck of the woods happens to be a major hub for meth and heroine, and lord knows what else thanks to the state park right outside of town where a lot of them like to hide out. Locals aren't too much to worry about, it's the people coming to do business from out of town you have to worry about.

Our police force and sheriff are very understanding about it too. (probably more so since we just had to lay off a bunch of them due to the economy) They can't be everywhere at once and they were stretched thin before the lay offs.

With Jamie working on the force, even if it's not there, I know this has got to be very upsetting to you.

(((hugs)))

It's awful! Some people are crazy. It seems like there are more and more of them. We have loaded guns by every door in our house and a gun cabinet full of them. We know about gun safety and aren't going to use them, it's the George Zimmermans of the world and the other crazies we all have to worry about. So sad for the family and your town.

DammitJanet

Thankfully this wont be a race war because it was a black thug and a black cop but the partner was white and he is really taking loads of criticism for not just killing the thug on sight but he simply couldnt fire into the car the thug shot out of because there were other people in that car including a small child. Plus there were innocent people all around the parking lot in that gas station that day. Anyone could have been hit with a flying bullet and then he would have been in major trouble. The partner just held the thug there until more help arrived and they could arrest him. Hopefully, nothing will go wrong with the trial and this guy will get the needle.

Flags are at half staff everywhere and I think that is appropriate. Im trying to figure out how I can put something on my car to show respect. I know a badge with a black band is the sign of respect. I need to order a small one to put on my back window. I do respect my police force even if I dont agree with everything.

Calamity Jane

That's so tragic, Janet. Every time a police officer stops a car, they take a chance like that. It's just staggering how anyone could kill anyone, esp. a PO. I'm sorry for your town and everyone in it, and also for the deceased officer's partner. It's easy to second guess when you're not the one in that situation. Hope everyone keeps calm and violence over this doesn't escalate.