Baby-steps are a good start

Mom2oddson

This is the only place I can come and share my "good" news and have it understood. in real life no one would get it.

difficult child 1 and his buddies came over last night. They knew I was baby-sitting my Sister and my Parents dog. They wanted to be around in case I needed any help.

difficult child 1 and his buddies respected my rules of no drugs at my house. I could tell that they indulged before coming over, but they didn't bring anything over to my house. I call that a good baby-step.

Then, later, they asked if I still have plans for the Jack and Rum on the kitchen counter (been making rum/jack balls for the holidays). I said Yes - I have plans. I got an "Okay...aren't you glad I asked first?". I told I was very proud that he asked first. And they didn't touch it the whole evening. Again another baby-step.

in real life, I'd get all sorts of "He's under-age! How dare he even ask".... but here.... I know that you can share my joy in even the smallest baby-steps. It wasn't all that long ago that difficult child 1 wouldn't have shown me any respect, much less ask and accept a NO answer.

Thanks for letting me share.