Back from camp again. Better, this time!

TerryJ2

I picked up difficult child at computer camp today. He looked exhausted. The counselor, and the head of the camp told me he didn't sleep much, especially last night, but that he was no trouble, and tended to read a lot at night.
difficult child's eyes are bloodshot, his skin is blotchy, he's got circles under his eyes ... you get the picture. I asked him if he ate all the food and he said yes. "Pancakes for breakfast? Pizza." He kind of chuckled.
"No stomachaches or headaches?"
"No."
Hmm. I guess being exhausted, not sleeping, and eating all the wrong foods are okay.
The strange thing is, he didn't blow up on me.
And we had to go straight from camp to math tutoring. He remembered that he was going and quickly gave in, merely rolling his eyes and groaning. I am in shock.

On the way home from tutoring, he asked, "How is this for a transition?"
"You mean, from camp to home?"
"Yeah."
"Fantastic. I am so proud of you. What made you do what you did last time?"
"I have no idea."
"Why are you okay now?"
"I don't have a clue."

Alrighty, then.
I think he was too tired to argue, LOL!

Since he was sent home with-a flash drive of the games he created, I agreed to set up easy child's computer in her room again. She is at work. difficult child started to argue about the length of time he'd be allowed on it, but quickly gave up.

He loaded in the programs but only one worked. (Thank doG. I hate the one that didn't upload/download. It's war and killing.) So he amused himself playing a cartoon shooting game. He is now watching a movie with-husband on a laptop.
I am off to disconnect the computer and lock up easy child's room.

He was absolutely fantastic today.
That means that tomorrow, the other shoe will drop. We'll see.
I will ask him to show me what he created and explain how he did it. I suspect he won't want to explain, since the counselor did a pretty good job of it, (they did not write code, but dropped in pre-written sequences, and then used the mouse to tile and drop in graphics), but still, I want to hear it in his words.
I want to know that he understood the sequential steps involved (he is very bad at sequencing) and the he understands that he can create something, and not just play mindless games by rote.

One baby step at a time ...

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh, Terry! What a wonderful gift today was :bigsmile: I will be hoping and praying that NO shoe drops tomorrow, and that this is not a fluke. I'm glad that he was so wonderful for you tonight. That's a moment to cherish for sure!

TerryJ2

Well, he is still exhausted and a bit more argumentative today. I'm thinking the wheat will take until Wed to wear off.
Still, he's not exploding ...

TerryJ2

He did the dishes this a.m. and actually brushed his teeth! All so he could have computer time.
He didn't brush his teeth all last wk. Ewwww ...

Wiped Out

Staff member
Glad yesterday was such a pleasant one! I'm glad today is going well-now if I could figure out how to get my difficult child to brush his teeth!

TerryJ2

Yeah, sometimes I have to bring out the Big Guns. No TV, no video games until you brush your teeth.
We have to work on getting him to quit decorating the toilet seat, and learning to flush now.
The fun never ends...

idohope

Glad it has been going relatively well. Seems like you are still seeing the 3 (or 4) good things about difficult child that you noticed while he was away....